uniqs
share rss forum feed

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

Confused by your reply Gary?

First the link I posted was for the N56U, "ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 1.0.1.8n"? Secondly you said you weren't going to look at it anyway or was it because of the new Padavan release yesterday "RT-N65U_3.0.3.0-023 (en-ru). IPv6+IPv4. Linux kernel 3.0.50" that caused the comment you made?

I hit a 'semi-serious' problem with the N56U Padavan .018 code 2 days ago. I wanted to delete some files on the router that was being shared by the Media Server. I opened up Explorer (actually Explorer++) and then the Network, router, USB disk, and drilled down to the SHARE folder. I next wanted to open the VIDEO folder, but somehow it didn't open but the filename (video) went into the RENAME mode as if F2 was pressed. I hit ESC and then clicked again to open the folder. CONTENTS gone? No problem, Windows had a system file for the Recycle bin on that drive, I'll just restore the folder as it appears to be deleted... nothing there? OK, I'll move the drive to a PC and see what it looks like. Attached the drive, assigned the drive letter, and the folder really is gone. OK, I'll run CHKDSK anyway. Reported 'fixed uppercase names' whatever that meant? Made a new Video folder and put files there and then back to the USB port on the router. I have no clue what has happened? I have seen this happen, going into rename mode, before depending where I click on the filename, which is probably an Explorer++ bug, but ESC had always before put me back in 'normal' mode without problems? Just a data point for you.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:147
reply to FTBoomer

This is something you need to report on the Padavan site..

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Gary, look at this :

»support.asus.com/Download.aspx?S···4260.zip

Looks like ASUS has NOW released an OFFICIAL 3.0 (I assume kernel?) Firmware :

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.260
1. After upgrading to 3.0.0.4.260 and restarting your router, please press the reset button for more than 5 seconds to reset the system to the default settings.
2. The original download master is not compatible with new firmware. Please uninstall the download master utility in computer and remove the "Complete", "InComplete" folder in the hard drive plugged in RT-N56U usb port.
3. Upgrade to the latest ASUSWRT user interface
4. Enhanced QoS feature
5. Web based download master
6. PPTP VPN server
7. Flexible on-line time control for different client

File Size 7,63 (MBytes) 2012.11.08 update

Do you intend to bypass this and stay with Padavan or will you test this and let us know if it is better? I looked at the 'old' beta's they had and I believe this 3x version is derived from the N65U firmware.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Irv I'll take a look at the release notes but the alternative firmware is so much better (at least so far) that I see no reason for someone to stay with it. I won't have any time to look at it this weekend but next week should have plenty of time.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Gary, it 'might' be having some problems... early reports say the file transfer speed is down (but the person reporting it has faster transfer than I get, 108mbps) and another said it couldn't be installed. I may test it over the weekend.
--
Irv Spalten

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Gary, NEW Padavan out today...

RT-N56U_3.0.3.0-025_full.zip 7.6 MB
Description:

- IPv6+IPv4 (dual stack).
- Linux kernel 3.0.50.
- New WebGUI.
- Full build: included "transmission" and "minidlna".

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.3.0-022:
----------------------------------------------------------
- Added Entware repo support (»code.google.com/p/wl500g-repo/).
- Added Aria2-1.15.2 package to project tree. Only for N65U (16MB flash).
- Added iTunes media server (Firefly) to project tree. Only for N65U (16MB flash).
- Added control SSDP notify interval and extended paths for Minidlna media server.
- Updated rp-pppoe pppd plugin and pppoe-relay daemon to v3.11.
- Updated nvram driver, used ioctl instead of mmap for prevent kernel memory corruption.
- Fixed switch WAN/LAN isolation on STB port selected in 1xRGMII scheme (VLAN 1/2).
- Temporarily disabled IGMP snooping feature for Realtek RTL8367B series giga-switch (N65U).

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.2.8-021:
[Firmware 3.0.x.x]
- Added full support Asus RT-N65U board.
- Updated kernel-3.0.x to 3.0.50 from www.kernel.org.
- Updated raeth driver to v3.0 from Ralink SDK 4.1.0.0 (used in 2xRGMII scheme).
- Updated raeth driver from N65U firmware with Asus homebrew hack. (Hmmm. Hack used PPE?
Why Ralink/MTK does not know about this feature?). Hacked raeth allow speed-up local TX traffic
in 1xRGMII scheme (USB3 read speed-up from 17 to 35 MB/s on N65U).
[Common changes]
- Fixed random hangup SoC RT3883/3662 under AP 5GHz (backport from Ralink driver 2.6.0.x).
- Enabled 2T3R mode (TX=300Mbps/RX=450Mbs) for AP 5GHz on N56U.
- Updated package ffmpeg to v0.11.2 for resolve minidnla scan deadlock issues.
- Added build target for Samsung CY-SWR1100 board.

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.2.7-020:
- Enabled rp-l2tp client by default for L2TP WAN (issues with xl2tpd HELLO for ISP Beeline).

I see a LOT of N65U stuff there????
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Testing it now... stand by...

ispalten

Clermont, FL

I decided to put it on... no problems yet... but I've only used it the normal way, Internet access both wired and wireless. All devices connected properly. Will try the Media Server later.

Noticed this stuff in the LOG :

Jan 1 00:00:16 RT-N56U: wan up (eth3)
Jan 1 00:00:17 kernel: Built_for__Asus_n65u_2012-03-29

Looks like the N56U is now the base code set just like the Official ASUS????

Also :

Jan 1 00:00:27 Media Server: daemon is started
Nov 11 07:55:07 kernel: rtl8367 - port [4] link speed: 1, flow control: 0
Nov 11 07:55:07 kernel: rtl8367 - port [0] link speed: 1, flow control: 0
Nov 11 07:55:08 detect_link: WAN link down detected!
Nov 11 07:55:12 detect_link: WAN link restored!
Nov 11 07:55:14 detect_link: Perform WAN DHCP renew...

It finally got the timestamp correct but is it normal not to find the WAN link up? This was on the re-boot of the router after the flash.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

For those using the RTN56U everything seems fine so go ahead and update. I'm actually quite pleased with the performance this run.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Gary, this morning was the first boot of the computers after the flash and re-boot of the router. All computers connected properly on router re-boot as did the iPads. Later turned on the TV and it was OK too.

This morning I booted my wired computer. It did NOT connect? I had to DISABLE and ENABLE the network adapter. It then connected.

Later my wife turned on her computer and tried using her iPad. Both on the 5GHZ SSID. Neither connected and the computer did not see the 5GHZ SSID. So I tried connecting it to the 2.4Ghz SSID and it would NOT connect? Neither would the iPad.

I then re-booted the routed and all connected to the 5Ghz signal that appeared after the re-boot.

I don't know if this was a fluke or not, but if it happens tomorrow, I'm going back to .018 which I didn't have this happen on.

No, I'm not reporting it, seems there was something similar reported before and I really didn't capture the info (since I couldn't connect immediately and didn't think to after I did before the re-boot). This is just for your info and anyone else reading this thread if it should happen to them.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

I have not experienced the same...everything working fine here.

RUQRU
Premium
join:2005-07-30
Florida

Installed RT-N56U_3.0.3.0-025 and see no issues. Thanks Gary.

I like the new GUI.

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

Any value in upgrading to the RT-N65U?

One feature is: Twin USB 3.0 ports provide SuperSpeed file, printer, and 3G sharing

»usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_R···/RTN65U/

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by RUQRU:

Any value in upgrading to the RT-N65U?

One feature is: Twin USB 3.0 ports provide SuperSpeed file, printer, and 3G sharing

»usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_R···/RTN65U/

None that I can see justifying another $40 over the 56u
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Gary, they (Padavan) quickly replaced .025 with .026, »rt-n56u.googlecode.com/files/RT-···full.zip.

===============
RT-N56U_3.0.3.0-026_full.zip 7.6 MB
Description:

- IPv6+IPv4 (dual stack).
- Linux kernel 3.0.50.
- New WebGUI.
- Full build: included "transmission" and "minidlna".

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.3.0-025:
- Added ability to select L2TP client (xl2tpd/rp-l2tp) from WebGUI.
- Added ability to manual set DNS1/DNS2 for LAN IP configuration in AP mode.
- Rolled back package ffmpeg to v0.6.6. All new ffmpeg branches > 0.6.x raise
Page Allocation Failure during Minidlna scan ton mediafiles.
- Fixed DHCP client renew issue after EAPoL-MD5 authentication.

================

My problem continues now only on the wired connection, wireless seems to have straightened itself out, even on the iPad's, probably the hard re-boot of the router might have fixed that?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

I haven't tried 26 yet and wont load it until tonight...

ispalten

Clermont, FL

I put it on because of my possible problems. Seems to work OK, but I still need to do some testing. All computers and iPad's came up OK after the flash reboot.

One problem I continue to have is transferring files from the wired 1Gbps computer to the USB drive's FTP/Media share. Right now I'm hitting almost 13MBps or 104Mbps. The light for the connection on the router is Orange and is set and showing 1000Mbps connection. My PC says it is 1Gbps too. I have never seen a faster connection. The USB is 2.0 which I think max's out at 400Mbps, but I would think I'd get faster? Or am I wrong here? I've seen posts by people claiming a 50MBps transfer speed, but I've never seen that? Cat6 cable connecting the router and PC too, 15 foot run.
--
Irv Spalten

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

I haven't tried 26 yet and wont load it until tonight...

Gary, don't know where you are with the testing, but I found this reported problem :

-------------------------

Reported by egcarr...@gmail.com, Nov 13 (5 days ago)

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Upgrade to RT-N56U_3.0.3.0-025_full.zip.
2. Use the 5.0GHZ n network.

After upgrading the firmware, the 5.0GHz network become unstable. It sometimes simply loose connectivity and, then, I cannot find such a network on the list (the 2.4GHz network is there). If I connect to 2.4GHz network, change some settings on 5.0GHz network parameters and press apply, then I can see the 5.0GHz network again!

The behavior occur with my Macbook, my iPad and a Windows 7 based laptop.

Comment 1 by cw.rid...@gmail.com, Nov 13 (4 days ago)

Same here. Frustrating. I am a freelance web developer who just lost a day to this. $$

Comment 2 by egcarr...@gmail.com, Nov 14 (3 days ago)

I came back to version -018

It was impossible to use the firmware in that conditions... my AiDisk_a1 drive was unmounting by itself too.

Comment 3 by snake.pl...@gmail.com, Nov 16 (42 hours ago)

Hi there,

still the same with -026. My problem (see the 5 GHz streaming issue) was also there in -018. Had to disable the 5 GHz network completely ...

Cheers

------------------------

I did NOT have it on .018 though, at least not that I recall, maybe once, but not continually.

On .026 I do have it and I had to move the iPad's back to the 2.4 signal. However the W8 machine has no problems with the connection.

There is another report, 592, on .026 that is also 5.0 signal streaming related.

I'm still having 2.4Ghz wired startup connection and I've replaced the RealTek driver, messed with Advanced settings, and it continues.

I'm considering going back to .018 at least as a test for these problems.

Are you happy with .026?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

I am on .26 and cannot echo that experience...

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

Also running .26 without any issues on 5GHz radio.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

5Ghz radio seems to be localized to our iPad's only, and after doing either streaming from the web or Media server. PC that is 5Ghz doesn't use the Media server and rarely streams stuff off the web.

Actually I'm surprised the iPad's (V2 and 3) have 5Ghz capability? They do see the radio and connect and appear to be stronger on that than the 2.4Ghz. I thought the iPad's were 2.4Ghz only? I didn't realize they could see a 5Ghz radio until we were traveling and saw a 5Ghz radio. Came home and we can connect to ours.

I've moved the iPad's back to 2.4Ghz and this takes care of the 'problem'.
--
Irv Spalten

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

Irv,

I have two iPad 3's and 1 iPad 2 all running on the 5 GHz radio. I have been streaming YouTube all day with no issues using latest firmware. Strange how the same configuration results in different results .

Every few days a video will stop. It looks like the iPad dropped off the network. I go to settings and turn Wifi off then on and all is good. If this is the problem you are seeing then I just never paid much attention to it. Just accepted it as a glitch.

My wife works from home quite often and uses the 5 GHz radio to access a VPN. She has seen no problems. Actually before I installed the ASUS RT-N56U she complained about the crappy WiFi from the Ubee. Now she is happy

Did you see this problem on earlier builds also?

ispalten

Clermont, FL

said by RUQRU:

Irv,

I have two iPad 3's and 1 iPad 2 all running on the 5 GHz radio. I have been streaming YouTube all day with no issues using latest firmware. Strange how the same configuration results in different results .

No, this started on .025 and continued on .026, .018 worked fine. Worst situation is when I run on the iPad3 a Media Player to play video files off of the USB drive attached to the N56U. What usually 'breaks it' is when I try to move forward on a video. I use AIR AV or ACE PLAYER to view the video's. It doesn't move, just freezes. The iPad2 will also 'hang' as my wife plays some streaming apps. It isn't really a connection drop. Both can be reconnected the WiFi without problems and it works again, that is you can access the Internet and all, but I find I need to switch which app I used the access the media player as the one that hung doesn't work. Switching to the 2.4 channel, no problems and both apps work fine as does my wife's iPad. We're staying on the 2.4 channel now and I'll check every drop to see if it is fixed.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ispalten:

said by RUQRU:

Irv,

No, this started on .025 and continued on .026, .018 worked fine. Worst situation is when I run on the iPad3 a Media Player to play video files off of the USB drive attached to the N56U. What usually 'breaks it' is when I try to move forward on a video. I use AIR AV or ACE PLAYER to view the video's. It doesn't move, just freezes. The iPad2 will also 'hang' as my wife plays some streaming apps. It isn't really a connection drop. Both can be reconnected the WiFi without problems and it works again, that is you can access the Internet and all, but I find I need to switch which app I used the access the media player as the one that hung doesn't work. Switching to the 2.4 channel, no problems and both apps work fine as does my wife's iPad. We're staying on the 2.4 channel now and I'll check every drop to see if it is fixed.

Irv this really isn't the place for this...if you are having problems then you need to report them to Padavan like we do. Have you done that yet? I am not seeing anything as you described at all...not even one instance. You should also report it with the App maker since there is likely something there as well.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Gary, I've been using the SMALL BUILDER NET, like this one, »forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showt···&page=15 to report problems. It seems someone from the Padavan team is watching this and answering. I'd report it on the normal website but I never see any resolution there. Only comments from others, such as the one I put here above.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ispalten:

Gary, I've been using the SMALL BUILDER NET, like this one, »forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showt···&page=15 to report problems. It seems someone from the Padavan team is watching this and answering. I'd report it on the normal website but I never see any resolution there. Only comments from others, such as the one I put here above.

IRV!!! (face in Palms)....please...there appears to be two branches of Padavan folks...post your errors on the Padavan site directly in the format they ask you. Post your App issues on the App devs site. There is a reason why they have the issues area on the main site and who knows who the other guy is on smallnetbuilder.

One thing for sure I don't want to see it here until you have actually posted an issue notification there and then shared it with us. Reason is simple...posting such things here only does no good...I am not entering your issue fix request for you and honestly I cannot concur with your findings despite my best effort to break this firmware it just hasn't happened as you described for me or others and I have ever piece of equipment you do.

Going forward so as not to confuse anyone if you encounter a problem with the firmware or an App post the approriate support requests on each of involved parties and then share with us the link where you have done this so we can watch how it develops (if it does).

If in fact you find something that is duplicatable I will confirm it, and also file the appropriate support request or add mine to yours or vice versa but I am not going to chase red herring issues without the proper support backup. Thanks
--

falcon2081

join:2012-08-16
Port Orange, FL

Quick question for you guys. Is there anyway to limit the bandwith on a particular IP addy with this router? I cannot for the life of me find a QOS option. I'm still on firmware .18. Should I upgrade to the latest .26?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

No there is no bandwidth limiting or QoS that is machine specific.

falcon2081

join:2012-08-16
Port Orange, FL

Really? Well that sucks. I was hoping to do some tests with Call of Duty Black Ops 2 by limiting the bandwith on the xbox down to 250kbs/s. Guess I'll just load up a torrent and do it that way.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Firmware 3.0.3.1-027 is out and I'm testing now. So far so good.