Mac Addict
Premium Member
join:2005-07-30
Central FL

RUQRU to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

I installed .027 and it seems OK. All wireless running fine with no drops.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
All is well with this version of code...very happy with it actually.

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
Central FL

RUQRU

Premium Member

I noticed better wireless stability with .027 vs. the previous few releases.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
I'm currently testing the v1 version of 027 (look in downloads top file). Just loaded it yesterday so no opinion yet.
kleerkoat
join:2008-10-01

kleerkoat

so after checking some of this out. is it safe to say that these ubee modem/routers are poopy?

i still can't figure out what is wrong with my connection. my speeds and everything are fine from what i'm told from support. it's my connected devices (computer, ps3, xbox, etc) that are suffering.

i'm going to try and use my old router i was using when i had the modem and the basic package. i didn't have this much latency before, which doesn't make sense.

if the ubee's are poopy, then i might spring for this asus you guys are talking about.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by kleerkoat:

so after checking some of this out. is it safe to say that these ubee modem/routers are poopy?

i still can't figure out what is wrong with my connection. my speeds and everything are fine from what i'm told from support. it's my connected devices (computer, ps3, xbox, etc) that are suffering.

i'm going to try and use my old router i was using when i had the modem and the basic package. i didn't have this much latency before, which doesn't make sense.

if the ubee's are poopy, then i might spring for this asus you guys are talking about.

This isnt the thread for specific modem issues...open a new thread (direct prefered since I will need your IP address) and I'll take a look at whats going on. The bottom line is no the Ubees are just fine.
kleerkoat
join:2008-10-01

kleerkoat

sorry BHN, I actually have a thread in there that I was waiting for a reply on but I know your a busy man.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Quick question...

I have a D-Link DIR-655 sitting here that I used with my previous ISP before moving to my current place. Is it worth bridging the DDW3611 so that I can use the DIR-655 or should I just stick with the DDW3611?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
If you are asking if it will give you better performance probably not...
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten to FTBoomer

to FTBoomer
Gary, the Padavan Official site's issue link shows 2 issues with a version not available, 033. Both reports, 657 and 658 are from different users and are 3 days old. Was a new drop released and removed fast or are they now available from a different source? Have you ever seen that 033 drop?

I ask as I've been having problems with 027 and have to re-boot the router often. Yes, I know, report it there, and I would if I could pin it down to the flash and if I ever saw a result posted on any issue.

What we've been seeing is 'slowdown' on inet access randomly on both the computers and the iPad's, but not at the same time. Either power off and on the device or re-booting the router solves the problem. For instance, I can be surfing the web with fast page loads yet Laraine is quite slow. Sometimes it is the other way around or we're both slow as. Same with the iPads. Re-booting router or the device clears it. 5Ghz signal doesn't see to go as far for the iPad's either on this drop. Can't quantify that either, just less, and can't imagine how the flash would effect that? I'd report these if I was sure it was flash.

For what it is worth, we both are on W8 now, and there are some issues we have to work through using W8 and drivers might need replacement. She's been on it for a month, me a few days. I'm still messing with my NIC driver, it has boot problems, but once enabled the connection seems fine. My comment above about slowness was when I was on W7 and Laraine W8, but now since we're both on W8 we're still seeing this so I doubt it was W8 alone.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Irv I have no immediate plans to support Windows 8 issues. I do not have it and see no justification at this time to dedicate a machine to it given that most of the professional and consumer reviews are negative and obviously lack of uptake of the product. A significant number of folks who received products with Windows 8 are downgrading to Windows 7 which should tell you something.

As for .27 I am running the v version of .27 with no problems. I will check the Padavan site and yes it is possible they yanked a version as they have done it before. One thing I will tell you is turn Auto Channel Selection off. Dedicate to a single wifi channel and leave it there.
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

said by BHNtechXpert:

As for .27 I am running the v version of .27 with no problems. I will check the Padavan site and yes it is possible they yanked a version as they have done it before. One thing I will tell you is turn Auto Channel Selection off. Dedicate to a single wifi channel and leave it there.

Always have it set to 11 with 7 as the side channel, found that combo to work the best. Run inSSIDer (»www.metageek.net/product ··· nssider/) occasionally to check for other signals around there but found none so far.

As for W8, first of all I've got images for W7 and can go back easily. No 'work' done on these computers so I don't mind going cutting edge, but as that say, users of the cutting edge usually bleed. Not running out of band-aids though now. Getting tired of chasing for drivers, especially on Dell's that are old.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
It does appear they pulled a version. Give it a couple of days and I'm sure it will be back as the problems appeared to be in the optware built into the device.

Guide_Tim
join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
OMG Gary I agree about the whole windows 8 thing . When my friends tell me they bought a new computer that has windows 8 i start to cringe. My advice to them is to ignore the silly metro tiles , and totally focus on the Desktop Environment, and do not run applications from the metro tiles area run applications in the desktop area. The first thing I do when i work on someones computer that is running windows 8 is install a program called "classic shell" to bring back the start menu. Shame on Microsoft for shoving this nasty Operating System down consumers throats. Stay with windows 7 for as long as possible my friends
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

said by Guide_Tim:

OMG Gary I agree about the whole windows 8 thing . When my friends tell me they bought a new computer that has windows 8 i start to cringe. My advice to them is to ignore the silly metro tiles , and totally focus on the Desktop Environment, and do not run applications from the metro tiles area run applications in the desktop area. The first thing I do when i work on someones computer that is running windows 8 is install a program called "classic shell" to bring back the start menu. Shame on Microsoft for shoving this nasty Operating System down consumers throats. Stay with windows 7 for as long as possible my friends

Basically I agree with both of you about W8, I still find it useful. For one, the Start Screen does have some 'value'. The Weather, News, and Stock 'applets' I've enabled. I can leave that up and see what is going on (computer is on most of the day) if the screen saver isn't enabled. Also recently used apps I pin to it so I can start them whenever I want, from the desktop or Start Screen. I've learned how to basically use the mouse to circumvent the need for touch devices.

No, it isn't perfect, and somethings have been moved and some just don't seem to exist anymore.

Like it or not, it is the future. Vista and W7 were not well received when they were released either. Yeah, Vista was DOG, couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Anyway, going directly to the Desktop works well too. Tap the Windows key and you easily go back and forth. Have sufficient h/w and all works well, even if you use Live Tiles and don't use F4 to close them.
ispalten

ispalten to FTBoomer

to FTBoomer
Getting this discussion back on track, I see something that makes me think either there is another distribution point (possibly by someone else connected with Padavan) or there are more than one?

Check here, »forums.smallnetbuilder.c ··· &page=21, entry made at 8:25AM this morning. New files?

Original D/L location of »code.google.com/p/rt-n56 ··· ads/list doesn't show those?

However, the referenced forum entry above is for »code.google.com/p/rt-n56 ··· oadCount
and it has 4 files marked 'depeicated' which usually means it has been replaced with a new version.

Any ideas what is going on?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Do NOT take code anywhere other than the main distro site. There is a reason why it was pulled...it will come back when its ready.

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
Central FL

RUQRU

Premium Member

Gary,

Are you looking at any of the new 802.11ac chipset routers from ASUS and others? At CES there are many new routers coming out this spring with the new standard.

As for Windows 8. I have been running it since release date on my custom DIY built i7 machine. It has 32 GB RAM and an Intel SSD and I have had zero problems. The KEY is: I use Stardock's Start8 software, which runs as a service, to bypass the tile interface and boots straight to the desktop. Windows 8 boots faster and has a clean interface in desktop mode. So if you want to upgrade do a clean install and use Start8 or ClassicShell to bypass the tiles and you will have an update that works great.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by RUQRU:

Gary,

Are you looking at any of the new 802.11ac chipset routers from ASUS and others? At CES there are many new routers coming out this spring with the new standard.

As for Windows 8. I have been running it since release date on my custom DIY built i7 machine. It has 32 GB RAM and an Intel SSD and I have had zero problems. The KEY is: I use Stardock's Start8 software, which runs as a service, to bypass the tile interface and boots straight to the desktop. Windows 8 boots faster and has a clean interface in desktop mode. So if you want to upgrade do a clean install and use Start8 or ClassicShell to bypass the tiles and you will have an update that works great.

Ruq,

When you pay that much for an operating system you shouldn't have to modify it's core mode of operation just to make it go with something from a 3rd party in my opinion AND I'm personally starting to get tired of Microsoft's imposed (shortening) of operating system lifecycles. I'm not alone with this...actually good company especially from an IT perspective. Win 8 has substantial maturing to do before I personally make the investment...as for professionally supporting it...perhaps later in the year...I feel no need to rush things.

As for the newer routers now that CES is over we will see which of these products actually makes it to the shelves of a store near you. Once that happens I'll take a good long look at several BUT they will need to sport much more than a wireless standard improvement before I start recommending people make yet another investment. Reason is simple... I am not a huge fan of wireless to begin with for obvious reasons....the biggest...it's way way way overused and abused and when it fails to meet expectations folks completely ignore the fact that wireless by nature isn't ultra reliable but that doesn't stop them from going off on their provider or others for that matter. There are ways to build a decent home wireless network and ways not to...most opt for the cheaper way out which does nothing but cause everybody that serves them headaches including me.
ispalten
Clermont, FL

1 edit

ispalten

said by BHNtechXpert See Profile

When you pay that much for an operating system you shouldn't have to modify it's core mode of operation just to make it go with something from a 3rd party in my opinion AND I'm personally starting to get tired of Microsoft's imposed (shortening) of operating system lifecycles. I'm not alone with this...actually good company especially from an IT perspective. Win 8 has substantial maturing to do before I personally make the investment...as for professionally supporting it...perhaps later in the year...I feel no need to rush things.

I've NOT modified it, and I don't see the need to do so. One mouse click and I'm on the Desktop. I've 'learned' to get around the START ORB being missing. Doing the Right Mouse Button on the lower left of the screen gets me most of what I used the Start Orb for, and the movement of the mouse to the lower right of the screen and then Search basically shows me the same as All Programs.

I actually LIKE the Start Screen, I've deleted the 'junk', and enabled the Live Tiles for the ones I want, weather, news, etc., and also added ones for my frequently used programs.

Yes, I'm a home user, and both my wife and I are on W8, makes 'support' much easier.

It was cheaper to buy it now, $15 and $40, then to do it later (I could have just purchased it and waited I guess).

IT with many machines and programs to support, true, but a home user isn't in this situation.

Buy a new computer and you'll be seeing W8 as the OS more than likely. No need to rush, but others are having it happen each day. This will be a headache for both developers and IT people that support home users. Luckily for you, BHN seems to be OK on W8 as it is transparent.

Gain from W8, after getting the 'bumps' and learning curve under control, not much I can see. Matter of fact when on the Desktop I can't tell I'm not on W7 other than the missing Start Orb and 'different' ways I have to do things. Programs (that work under W8) don't seem to care.

Just my $0.02 USD on the subject. No need to respond.

EDIT: fixed Quote...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Fix yer quotes lol

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
Central FL

RUQRU to ispalten

Premium Member

to ispalten
Well Start8 is only $4.95 so not a major investment. It gives you the Windows 7 start menu plus many cool configurable features. Since it boots directly to the desktop on my desktop I never see the tiles unless I want to. Overall I find Windows 8 very stable. I do a lot of photoshop work and the systems runs very fast. Could be because I am running off of SSD and 32 GB ram.

I know people have criticism of MS for what the released. But I like it with Start8.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by RUQRU:

Well Start8 is only $4.95 so not a major investment. It gives you the Windows 7 start menu plus many cool configurable features. Since it boots directly to the desktop on my desktop I never see the tiles unless I want to. Overall I find Windows 8 very stable. I do a lot of photoshop work and the systems runs very fast. Could be because I am running off of SSD and 32 GB ram.

I know people have criticism of MS for what the released. But I like it with Start8.

I use Stardock for other things (because I have entirely too many desktop things that need to be there but organized) and if that were the only thing I might consider 8 but it isn't not even close. From my own personal platform perspective I'm seriously considering jumping ship altogether and going with one of the major flavors of Linux. From a support standpoint for you guys it won't be until later in the year when I revisit setting up a Win 8 box for that purpose and that will be driven more by demand on your part than anything...could be sooner could be later I just don't know yet.

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie to FTBoomer

to FTBoomer
*grabs the wheel and steers the bus back on topic....
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Well the Asus AC version of the 66 is available now...but at a steep price.

»www.amazon.com/RT-AC66U- ··· RT-AC66U
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
There are entirely too many negative ratings about quality considering the low number in total ratings....I would hold on this for a bit.
Opt
join:2012-04-04
Bakersfield, CA

Opt

said by BHNtechXpert:

There are entirely too many negative ratings about quality considering the low number in total ratings....I would hold on this for a bit.

That and none of my devices support AC yet :P
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Opt:

said by BHNtechXpert:

That and none of my devices support AC yet :P

Yes and that too
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

Gary,

Looks like another Padavan Release today...

==============

RT-N56U_3.0.3.3-038_full.zip 7.5 MB
Description:

- IPv6+IPv4 (dual stack).
- Linux kernel 3.0.59.
- 5GHz WiFi driver v2.6.0.x (w/o WDS yet).
- New WebGUI.
- Full build: included "transmission", "minidlna", "xupnpd".

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.3.1-027:
----------------------------------------------------------
- Added support scatter/gather DMA to Ralink Ethernet driver (raeth). S/G DMA allow
boost local TX traffic up to 2x times. Read speed now up to ~21MB/s (from USB2),
up to ~34MB/s (from USB3). Drop ASUS binary raeth_asus.obj.
- Added support HW VLAN TX to Ralink Ethernet driver (raeth). Offload VLAN tag
incapsulation, actually for 1xRGMII mode for N65U.
- Added IMQ device for support software shapers.
- Added support RAW table to iptables.
- Added WiFi Reverse Direction Grant (RDG) control.
- Added output RSSI field to WiFi AP clients status.
- Added PPP session duration info, MAN info, IPv6 info to WAN status.
- Added ALG RTSP for support many IPTV applications from ISP.
- Added ability to select Ethernet port for attached WAN cable (for WAN bridge mode).
- Added ability to route VLAN tagged IPTV source via igmpproxy and udpxy.
- Added support IPv6 for URL-filtering.
- Added ability to disable ALG FTP.
- Added support IGMPv3 and multiple origins to igmpproxy.
- Added package xupnpd (translate IPTV via UPnP/DLNA) v1.02, rev372.
- Updated kernel-3.0.x to 3.0.59 from www.kernel.org.
- Updated WiFi driver to v2.6.0.x for AP 5GHz (WDS not supported yet, only AP-Client).
- Updated udpxy to v1.0.23-7.
- Updated dnsmasq to v2.65.
- Updated Transmission to v2.76.
- Updated Ralink HW_NAT to 2.50.x, improved IPv6 routes offload, fixed support HW VLAN TX,
forward all mcast and bcast traffic to CPU, move FoE PPE table to raeth for avoid memory
fragmentation on reload hw_nat module.
- Fixed very old issue with race packets from PPE. 2xRGMII mode on N56U now worked perfectly.
No reason for use 1xRGMII mode now, PPE can route summary traffic ~1.3 Gbit/s between 2 GMAC.
- Fixed IPv6 DAD issue on MacOS and Android WiFi clients (no solution for RT3352 AP on N65U).
- Fixed httpd deadlock issue (WebGUI freeze).
- Fixed IPv6 neighbour table overflow (manual run script reset_ss.sh needed).
- Fixed disabled FTP/SMB access controls in WebGUI on shares with LABEL.
- Fixed Astana timezone label.
=======

See an update to the USB speed is now done... 2x or so speed.

»code.google.com/p/rt-n56 ··· can=2&q=

I'll wait for your testing since I had the DLNA problem.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Okay will start testing tonight....geez these guys are code demons just when I get a few minutes to just enjoy my router they pop up with new code lol.