uniqs
share rss forum feed

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

said by BHNtechXpert:

Okay will start testing tonight....geez these guys are code demons just when I get a few minutes to just enjoy my router they pop up with new code lol.

They should be hired by Asus to create the official router firmware. lol

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

said by bigdaddy:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Okay will start testing tonight....geez these guys are code demons just when I get a few minutes to just enjoy my router they pop up with new code lol.

They should be hired by Asus to create the official router firmware. lol

Have you checked the ASUS site? They have been quite active too. They have ver. 3.0.0.4.318 out now and also a beta release you can test. Probably many differences and one I know is missing is a Guest on each band.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to FTBoomer

Irv I see no point in testing the stock firmware since the alternative is so good besides I have one router and to that would require tossing all my settings and rebuilding it every time. That is not something I enjoy doing.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Go ahead and upgrade to the latest version. The current version passes all the major connectivity tests no problems and so far no weirdness post update.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Gary, I was just answering to show that ASUS was active too. Since I had the DLNA problem I put the released latest from ASUS on and it worked for DLNA and I was surprised to see a faster transfer speed between my wired and wireless systems than on the Padavan code.

One thing I do do, and that is save away the settings from each flash type, Padavan and ASUS, makes switching back and forth easy.

Like I said before in a PM, I did report my DLNA/Media Server problem on the official Padavan site. ID 676 2 days ago, nothing posted to me yet.

Since the new drop supposedly improved USB transfer speed, I'll get that on later tonight or tomorrow. Hope the Media Server still works. I'm pretty sure the DLNA problem is specific to my h/w and was probably some setting, so I'll just reload Padavan and manually set it up.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ispalten:

Gary, I was just answering to show that ASUS was active too. Since I had the DLNA problem I put the released latest from ASUS on and it worked for DLNA and I was surprised to see a faster transfer speed between my wired and wireless systems than on the Padavan code.

One thing I do do, and that is save away the settings from each flash type, Padavan and ASUS, makes switching back and forth easy.

Like I said before in a PM, I did report my DLNA/Media Server problem on the official Padavan site. ID 676 2 days ago, nothing posted to me yet.

Since the new drop supposedly improved USB transfer speed, I'll get that on later tonight or tomorrow. Hope the Media Server still works. I'm pretty sure the DLNA problem is specific to my h/w and was probably some setting, so I'll just reload Padavan and manually set it up.

No you can't reliably go from new code config to old Asus code config...that's why I don't do it.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Misunderstood, I have 2 configs, one for ASUS and one for Padavan, saved from the last one installed.
--
Irv Spalten

RUQRU
Premium
join:2005-07-30
Florida
reply to BHNtechXpert

Thanks. Already updated and see no problems. Getting DL speeds of about 67 to 68 MBs. Cool.

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to ispalten

With the latest .038 code my transfer rate to the USB via wired has jumped from about 9 - 11MBps to 15 - 18MBps. Streaming to the PC seems smoother, but that is subjective. USB is 2.0.
--
Irv Spalten

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

Go ahead and upgrade to the latest version. The current version passes all the major connectivity tests no problems and so far no weirdness post update.

Looks like that one didn't last too long, new one today...

==================
RT-N56U_3.0.3.3-040_full.zip 7.5 MB
Description:

- IPv6+IPv4 (dual stack).
- Linux kernel 3.0.60.
- 5GHz WiFi driver v2.6.0.x.
- New WebGUI.
- Full build: included "transmission", "minidlna", "xupnpd".

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.3.3-038:
----------------------------------------------------------
- Fixed VLAN VID > 13 for tagged IPTV filtering to CPU.
- Added WDS support to 5GHz WiFi driver v2.6.0.x.
- Added support WAN traffic measurement with HW NAT usage.
- Added ability to enable external udpxy for xupnpd (udpxy support RTP sources).
- Updated kernel-3.0.x to 3.0.60 from www.kernel.org.
- Fixed WAN traffic history, save history to /etc/storage.
- Fixed double instanced interface ra1 on hw_nat.ko.
===========================

Awaiting your testing... and approval.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Too funny...okay will load it now...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Okay well the good news is it didn't brick my router upgrading so thats half the battle

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Okay guys the current version is good to go...load at your own peril just kidding

falcon2081

join:2012-08-16
Port Orange, FL
reply to FTBoomer

New firmware out. Will await for test results

==================
RT-N56U_3.0.3.3-042_full.zip 7.6 MB
Description:
- Linux kernel 3.0.61.
- 5GHz WiFi driver v2.6.0.1.
- 2.4GHz WiFi driver v2.5.0.11.
- New WebGUI.

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

Upgraded...everything works.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to falcon2081

said by falcon2081:

==================
Description:
- Linux kernel 3.0.61.
- New WebGUI.

Alright will update and check now....
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to RUQRU

said by RUQRU:

Upgraded...everything works.

LOL just because a speed test works doesn't mean its good to go

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

Com'on, what else matters

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

snicker

RUQRU
Premium
Florida
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by falcon2081:

==================
Description:
- Linux kernel 3.0.61.
- New WebGUI.

All my wireless devices, including iPads and iPhones are running fine with the new firmware.

Have you found any issues with your testing?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Yes actually with the last two versions and I'm not sure if its the firmware or the latest version of IOS 6.01 for my iPad that has pretty much toasted PUSH for exchange. Otherwise it seems to be fine so far.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to FTBoomer

I just swapped out my DLink DGL4500 for an Asus RT-AC66R.

I never used the wireless portion of the DGL4500, because its terrible firmware reared its ugly head. Instead I used an EnGenius EAP-3660. It looks like a smoke detector and has been rock solid for over a year. It is only G, but I've never been limited by G speeds.

So far (18 hours) the Asus RT-AC66R is working great on stock firmware (3.0.0.270). I have a couple devices connected to each band. My two iPhones are on 2.4GHz, and two laptops on 5GHz. I'll test out range a little later today. I live across from a public park, and don't want to look silly walking over with my laptop in tow:)

EDIT: Put a Linksys AE3000 wifi USB adapter on my main computer, and I'm connected on 5Ghz. See how it reacts today vs its normal wired state.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
reply to FTBoomer

Just ordered an Asus RT-AC66U and Motorola SB6141 from Newegg...

It'll probably be here Wednesday/Thursday.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by John97:

Cool beans....so we have another who can give us feedback....you guys better stop this because all it will do is make me go out and buy one too and I don't need another router right now
--

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL

I have no complaints about it so far. Range, at least on the 2.4GHz band, is equal to my EnGenius AP. Both worked fine from 150' and through 3 brick walls! On 5GHz my main PC has been trucking along without a hiccup.

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

Is the Asus RT-AC66U using stock firmware and does anyone know if Padavan will support this one too?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Yes it would be stock and no Padavan yet

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to RUQRU

said by RUQRU:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by falcon2081:

==================
Description:
- Linux kernel 3.0.61.
- New WebGUI.

All my wireless devices, including iPads and iPhones are running fine with the new firmware.

Have you found any issues with your testing?

I copied some files over to the Media Server share, they copied but never appeared there. Already 'basically' reported to Padavan as issue 709. I looked at the files for the database and they were NOT updated. I've tried deleting them with the USB drive on a computer and plugging it back in, file dates do update, but files transferred are not showing? Just checked on the PC, not there?

Another report said Bonjour is not working, but it is between my iPad and the ASUS.

I'm going back one level to be safe.
--
Irv Spalten

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by John97:

Cool beans....so we have another who can give us feedback....you guys better stop this because all it will do is make me go out and buy one too and I don't need another router right now

Got my stuff today. Called to get it activated, gave all the info (MAC address, serial number, etc). I was then told that apparently I have to wait for a phone call in 24-48 hours telling me I can unhook the Ubee and hook up my shiny new Asus RT-AC66U and Motorola SB6141?

Really? I didn't think it was this complicated.

--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

It can take that long but normally doesn't. If by this time tomorrow night it isn't done you let me know and I'll get it done.