BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to FTBoomer

Re: Is this a Good Router ?

If you need all that then go for it. I use the free version and it does just fine by me. It does exactly what I need it to do from the standpoint of filtering. I set it and forget it. Once in a great while someone here will come to me and say "hey why can't I get to this site...it says its blocked by you". My response is why are you trying to go to gambling, sex or warez site on my network?

I run a clean network...if you want those sites....get them on your network lol
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

Boomer things still goin strong with the Asus. Have discovered that it doesn't like some older USB drives however. Especially the GoFlex models. Works fine with WD Elements drives though no problem.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Boomer how are things goin?

FTBoomer

join:2011-04-22
Tampa, FL
Hey Sorry, missed these. I've been travelling for business a lot lately.

Things are still great. So much so that I've not even thought about it much.

You?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by FTBoomer:

Hey Sorry, missed these. I've been travelling for business a lot lately.

Things are still great. So much so that I've not even thought about it much.

You?

Same here...the only issue I see is the USB NAS feature. It's not the best method they could have come up with BUT if you use it for media streaming it's flawless. It absolutely hates Seagate Go Flex drives though. The WD's work fine... Go Flex's not so much.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
@ispgeek, I'm making some network changes and need some advice.

My ASUS is on 192.168.1.1 I need to change this to 192.168.2.1.

Can I just go into the LANIP section and change it there?

When I do, should all my gear automatically see the SSID and auto-reconnect regardless of the new base IP?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
Question first. Why do you need to change the IP as such?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Hey Boomer I think I also figured out the USB NAS feature issues with the Go Flex (or any drives for that matter). Let me know if you are interested in the details.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
I'd rather not say right now.

Good to hear but I'm not using it so it would be wasted on me. Thanks though

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by FTBoomer:

I'd rather not say right now.

Huh? Boomer forgive me for saying this but there are times when you appear to be well...here's the PC way of saying it....more protective of information than is warranted. I'm one of these kind of guys who likes to know what the hell I'm getting into before I post an opinion so I'll counter with...until I get more information I'm not at liberty to give you a judgement on your original request
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

1 edit
hahaaaa No problem man. I was too embarrassed to say it but
Fine then, after 20 years, I'm switching to FIOS an still want to use the ASUS but they need to keep their router for the WHDVR and guide interaction.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by FTBoomer:

Fine then, after 20 years, I'm switching to FIOS an still want to use the ASUS but they need to keep their router for the WHDVR and guide interaction.

Ohhh Boomer... you didn't...

In that case turn DHCP off on the Asus anbd yes set it up as you thought. The Asus will no longer function as a router just as an expensive 4 port switch. So lets put that in the strike one category for FiOS. Now there isn't anything by some chance that one of my friends at BHN could offer you to lets say make ya change your mind now is there If you are still open to options PM me.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by FTBoomer:

In that case turn DHCP off on the Asus anbd yes set it up as you thought. The Asus will no longer function as a router just as an expensive 4 port switch. So lets put that in the strike one category for FiOS. Now there isn't anything by some chance that one of my friends at BHN could offer you to lets say make ya change your mind now is there If you are still open to options PM me.

Thanks isp, actually I will turn the radio off on the FIOS router and use the ASUS as my primary but in order to do that, I need to change the base LAN IP to 192.168.2.1 which is what prompted my original question (which you still didn't answer or maybe you did)

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by FTBoomer:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by FTBoomer:

Thanks isp, actually I will turn the radio off on the FIOS router and use the ASUS as my primary but in order to do that, I need to change the base LAN IP to 192.168.2.1 which is what prompted my original question (which you still didn't answer or maybe you did)

Actually I did. Told ya everything ya needed to do If still having issues let me know.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to FTBoomer
Well Guy's time for me to come clean. I too have VZ FiOS. But I still have BHN as well.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by bigdaddy:

Well Guy's time for me to come clean. I too VZ FiOS. But I still have BHN as well.

And you made the switch because....
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

bigdaddy

reply to FTBoomer
said by FTBoomer:

There is a way to have your ASUS as the main router and still have MOCA working.

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

bigdaddy

reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by bigdaddy:

Well Guy's time for me to come clean. I too VZ FiOS. But I still have BHN as well.

I did not switch. I have a triple play pack form BHN and a triple play from VZ FiOS.

I now have dual WAN Land line Providers. LOL

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by bigdaddy:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by bigdaddy:

I did not switch. I have a triple play pack form BHN and a triple play from VZ FiOS.

I now have dual WAN Land line Providers. LOL

OMG dude... I'm sure there is a reason why...care to share?
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

bigdaddy

said by BHNtechXpert:

OMG dude... I'm sure there is a reason why...care to share?

Corporate pay's for VZ FiOS. We still pay BHN separate in case FiOS goes down or vice versa. We need the redundancy Corporate will not pay for down time on my end.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
Gotcha

bigdaddy

Now there is no reason not to help each other out now that you know.

We can still help FTboomer too.

bigdaddy

reply to FTBoomer
Click for full size
Third Router
(In addition to the user router, the Actiontec, a third back end router is also r)
FTBoomer Here is the right link you need to look at »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I use my own router as primary and keep remote DVR

I'm going to try this soon too let me know how it works out.

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
Thanks guys. I went ahead and just set my ASUS to .2.1 and everything works great.

cavalierfh

join:2002-06-18
Orlando, FL
Hi guys..!

Long time reader first time poster, no, wait, that's not right -- -- been away from BHN for about two years and now I'm headed back. I've been enjoying a Westell 327W with DSL for a while now but since that's going away I need to pick up a new router. Yes, I still have a Linksys WRT54G from my old days but since I have n capable devices now I thought I'd go more.. shiny..

I'm curious why you guys are in such favor of the Asus RT-N56U over the Netgear WNDR3700? When I googled reviews of the two units, operations like MaximumPC (»www.maximumpc.com/article/review···r_review) felt the Netgear outperformed at least in terms of reasonably close wireless performance. I'm also anxious about Asus's experience in the router field , a Newegg customer review (»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33320062) focused on some vulernabilities in the firmware allowing admin user/pass to be exposed.

Rest assured, I've read many of the posts here and feel that if the heavy guns here are loving the Asus there is plenty of reason to trust that. I just haven't seen much discussion of the 3700 and am curious.. you know.. as to why. I've known Asus from years of building system PCs (mobos), but I'm a little anxious about their performance in the routing business as opposed to more established names like Netger and even (eych) Linksys.

Thank you for your time

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

1 edit
I've got a couple of TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND at work and a WRT54GL at home. The WR1043ND's are the fastest consumer router I've ever used, and are less than $60. I've installed OpenWRT on all three routers though. And I am not concerned about 5 Ghz, but you might be.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to cavalierfh
said by cavalierfh:

Hi guys..!

Long time reader first time poster, no, wait, that's not right -- -- been away from BHN for about two years and now I'm headed back. I've been enjoying a Westell 327W with DSL for a while now but since that's going away I need to pick up a new router. Yes, I still have a Linksys WRT54G from my old days but since I have n capable devices now I thought I'd go more.. shiny..

I'm curious why you guys are in such favor of the Asus RT-N56U over the Netgear WNDR3700? When I googled reviews of the two units, operations like MaximumPC (»www.maximumpc.com/article/review···r_review) felt the Netgear outperformed at least in terms of reasonably close wireless performance. I'm also anxious about Asus's experience in the router field , a Newegg customer review (»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33320062) focused on some vulernabilities in the firmware allowing admin user/pass to be exposed.

Rest assured, I've read many of the posts here and feel that if the heavy guns here are loving the Asus there is plenty of reason to trust that. I just haven't seen much discussion of the 3700 and am curious.. you know.. as to why. I've known Asus from years of building system PCs (mobos), but I'm a little anxious about their performance in the routing business as opposed to more established names like Netger and even (eych) Linksys.

Thank you for your time

Good questions and I'm aware of each of the issues you raised. Lets talk about the 3700 vs Rt and close range. This is simple... reason...if you go back and and read that review again they are talking within about 10 ft or so....well who the hell uses wireless at such close range...nobody smart. Wireless is to be used only where a wired connection just isn't possible. If you are that close to the device...geezus use a freakin wire. I laughed when I read that...was like...are ya freakin kiddin me? When it comes to wireless distance is what you seek and when you put the two head to head there the Asus wins. But there are much bigger issues that swayed me away from the 3700 (and many others).

The initial 3700 units and firmware proved stable and were actually good units by all accounts I've read. It was later generations of the hardware and firmware that killed the 3700 for me and it didn't help that I actually tested one that failed miserably and had to return it. After doing some additional reading it turns out my experience was not at all uncommon and thats why the 3700 fell out of favor almost as quickly as it came to be.

The second issue you raise has to do with the GUI interface and devices connected directly to your network (meaning local). There was a bit of a vuln that those in the know with the right firmware installed could gleen the admin login very easily. The catch here is that you had to be connected directly to the router (not remoting from the outside world) so the only people who could even exploit this are people you know...provided you don't leave your router open to every doinkus on the planet. Annoying yes but not exactly something to worry about for most people. Besides....later firmware corrected the lameness and really...the admin interface doesn't really give you access to anything that could cause anyone real harm...it's not like other firmware where you could redirect traffic to the phishing server of your choice...so yea it shouldnt be there and yea it's annoying but the only issue was for those who are way to paranoid to be on the internet to begin with...again...it has been fixed last time I checked.

As for you being worried about Asus vs lets say Netgear or Linksys...really? You really think that Linksys is that good? Boy they snowed you Toss Linksys out of the equation and lets talk Netgear for a second. Netgear wired routers especially certain VPN class devices kick some serious butt when it comes to reliability. They have several SOHO devices that are at least several years old that still do an outstanding job....their wireless devices on the otherhand...suck when compared to other older and new names (Asus). They had a great potential beast with the 3700 and when they fuxed it up and then tried to rebrand it under other model numbers they earned the epic fail award for me. Their hope was they could just rebrand the 3700 and everybody would forget that it for all intents was a 3700 with all the bugs that people hated with just a shorter model number on it. Of course it didn't help that the dummies in marketing insisted that somewhere on the box that they reference the 3700 so that those who blindly still loved the monster would know what to buy....only problem is the consumer is smarter than most marketing people.

As for the Asus...mine has been running flawlessly for weeks now without so much as a hiccup. My only complaints (and they are petty) are issues with the GUI and Jinglish and stupid javascript lameness where they failed to check the user input for errors and the GUI not responding well to the error. Many of these issues have been resolved with the latest version of the software.

There was another issues with the QoS engine and VPN's but that too has been resolved with special firmware for those who have the need.

The usb based NAS feature built into the router is "unusual" to deal with especially for me since I am used to commercial class devices but once you figure it out it seems to work very well. There does appear to be some pickiness for certain external drives and I'm working on pinning that down now. Honestly the NAS feature for me is a non issue but I know others wanted to know so I have been playing. I have more NAS storage than any single human needs so this is just toying for me.

All in all the Asus router has outperformed expectations and then some especially for me and others with the need for very large amount of TCP sessions (torrent freaks fit into this category as well although I don't torrent). Most routers crap out during high load instances but this beast just swallows them and begs for more....its trully an amazingly fast router. I have yet to actually max it out and I have tried several times. You can't say that about any Linksys product....I could max them out in seconds...as for your WRT54....dude it had its day and for slower networks with no real traffic it will be fine...but if you want to really get to high speed and do all the things you can do with your home network spend the money and get a real router...your network is only as strong as your router....people get cheap and then bitch because things don't work well all the while blaming their ISP....bah! When it comes to residential routers you get what you pay for...you want something thats gonna do the job...the Asus will make you smile.

Your other alternative might be the Dlink DGL-4500 but honestly that beast is now outdated and past firmware issues and support policies at Dlink make this a hands off unit for me now...
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

cavalierfh

Orlando, FL

1 edit
Right.. I agree that Linksys has had its day which is why I am checking out these new buggers. So the issue with the Netgear is bad firmware, eh? I found the Netgear forums and see what you mean.. if many people suggest downgrading your firmware version as a solution, that makes me a tad nervous!

I don't know if I necessarily need pseudo NAS or Print server functionality. In fact I'm pretty sure I won't use it. I just remember managing to choke the Linksys like you said and if I decide to go for the 20M plan or larger I want to know I have a router mean enough to route it all.

I would like to try 5ghz since I have devices capable of supporting it . Hoping I can get a little more throughput in this 2 story house away from some of the congestion. Hey, it's worth a shot! (Edited to clarify range, as it read like I Was looking for longer range capability..)

Thanks guys..! Anybody else out there with an opinion? He says, mouse hovering over the 'buy now' for the Asus..

cavalierfh

Orlando, FL
Oh, and I just noticed ASUS's website has posted Version 1.0.1.4o for general download. Looks to resolve the issues I was nervous about.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by cavalierfh:

Oh, and I just noticed ASUS's website has posted Version 1.0.1.4o for general download. Looks to resolve the issues I was nervous about.

Thats a brand new release btw... was M just a few days ago I have a version of firmware that was pulled 1.0.15 and has yet to come back
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope