normal

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

2 weeks or even a month should not be a problem.
--
Jim Anderson

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
Great thanks!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Just a reminder to those with Merlins code you should upgrade to the most current version if you use IPv6 tunneling. The previous version had a nasty bug that caused that feature to whack things out pretty good. Fix now in current rev.

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 edit
Asus Merlin Firmware Update build 374.43 (6-June-2014)
Supported devices are:
* RT-N16
* RT-N66U
* RT-AC66U
* RT-AC56U
* RT-AC68U
»www.mediafire.com/asuswrt-merlin/#myfiles
»dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1217···elog.txt
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 90/10 Motorola SB6141 Asus RT-N66U RT-N56U

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
For me this is going to have to wait until I get back. I can't take the chance that it could break something while I'm gone...need full network access Go ahead and play however....

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Okay updated.... first thing I noticed is improved GUI speed....

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
Very good. I been waiting for our household to stop using the internet long enough for me to do the firmware update lol
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 90/10 Motorola SB6141 Asus RT-N66U RT-N56U

Aprel

join:2013-09-14
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

first thing I noticed is improved GUI speed....

Navigating the GUI? Or saving settings?

In the previous firmware, adding a single IP to static DHCP and saving took about 15 seconds. Any settings change takes a nontrivial amount of time, and arbitrary settings (like port opening, I think, oddly) trigger a reboot that is in no hurry to bring the device back up. My only gripe about this model (RT-N66U).

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
The change delay is still there but not bad was more referring to navigation period.

geo44

join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Aprel
I have the N66 and never understood why most things you do need a reboot. I could do most all settings on the dlink router I had and didnt need a reboot

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Is that 5GHz band dropout still happening? I've already had to reboot my router twice to get my 5GHz back. It just shows up as "Radio Disabled", and the only way to get it back is to put it into recovery mode, and then reboot to normal mode.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Odd... I have not had this problem....

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
I have two wireless bridges on the 5GHZ band and they have never dropped off. I did have an intermittent issue on the 2.4 side but a recent firmware update made that go away.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by John97:

I have two wireless bridges on the 5GHZ band and they have never dropped off. I did have an intermittent issue on the 2.4 side but a recent firmware update made that go away.

Geez John how big is your house?
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
I read it was an issue with the router using a older 5GHz radio driver.

I will upload the new firmware to the router when I get home tonight... Of course I have to kick everyone off the network to do it.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by neonhomer:

I read it was an issue with the router using a older 5GHz radio driver.

I will upload the new firmware to the router when I get home tonight... Of course I have to kick everyone off the network to do it.

It won't kill them for 4 minutes....
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

SparkyinCFL
Premium
join:2008-12-21
Saint Cloud, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

It won't kill them for 4 minutes....

Easy for you to say! ROFL

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by SparkyinCFL:

Easy for you to say! ROFL

EXACTLY!!!! A mother who stays on Facebook playing games, two boys who are either on the computer or on the XBox so much...... and then my g/f and her Facebook habit... me and my Tor... I mean Minecraft habit..... Yeah.... I think I need Lightning... *nudgenudge*

I'll prolly end up doing it at night or just drop it out and let em suffer...
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Keep Calm and Carry A Glock

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
It's only 4 minutes tops...go put a plate of fresh cookies and milk on the counter and yell commmmme and get it! While they dash for the cookies handle your bizzzznez.

SparkyinCFL
Premium
join:2008-12-21
Saint Cloud, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

fresh cookies

notice who's not mentioning sharing any cake?

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by John97:

Geez John how big is your house?

It's more the shape than the size, as the house is an L-shaped single story. The home office is at one end of the "L" and the router is somewhat centrally located. At the other end of the "L" is the family room where the boy has gaming consoles, a smart tv, his computer, etc. So I've got a wireless bridge in the home office for the stuff over there, and one at the opposite end of the house in the family room. I've got a secondary AP connected to each bridge, so we've got WiFi everywhere inside the house and out on the lanai.

It works, and for now it saved my pulling cable through the attic.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
That makes sense. Although I would (and have) ran cable to feed the access points...if nothing more than using MOCA clients (which saves you from pulling cable).

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
said by BHNtechXpert:

That makes sense. Although I would (and have) ran cable to feed the access points...if nothing more than using MOCA clients (which saves you from pulling cable).

Someday, I'll do the nasty and go up in the attic and do some cable drops. But until then, everything works perfectly.

I've even got some wired gear connected to the bridges in both locations as well.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Yes well....summertime in a Spring Hill attic is as close to hell as you ever want to come...so you are given a pass until winter lol!

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
I've spent summertime in attics (doing residential HVAC)... I try to avoid the heat whenever possible!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Well when I was younger I crawled in attics for CATV and SATV....never again thank you very much.

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
I actually bought the jacks and wall plates some time ago. Plus, I've got a spool of 5e in the garage along with all the necessary tools. It should be a relatively easy job, once I get around to it.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Well then snap to it

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Hurricane Electric must be having network issues this morning OR the new firmware has whacked out my IPV6 tunnel. Was taking forever for pages to load, turn off IPv6 and issue went away....hmmm

jwt0001

join:2014-03-28
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Bright House
Ok I have a problem with my ASUS RT-AC68U. I am getting the following message when I try to log into it:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

Before I start researching, I figured I would ask here first. I've had the problem for at least a couple of days. What should I be looking for? I have not yet rebooted the router.