BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
reply to mix

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

said by mix:

You can be assured someone like myself gets the most bang for their buck when it comes to computer hardware.

Okay then please tell us what you would pay for a excellent residential router and give make and model as your example.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

Diablo

join:2007-09-17
Kissimmee, FL
kudos:1
I believe ASUS new router is a great choice,Im using the RT-N16. the only con to that router is the firmware from ASUS it wasn't stable even after releasing 4 updates.but for us mod freaks installing Tomato USB and its running really smooth.Its a beast on hardware.

@ispgeek you made a wise choice buying the new ASUS model.
Im putting my money on that one and at $130 its really cheap
comparing similar models from Netgear and LInksys that avareage
$150 or more

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
Yea I'm excited to see the DDWRT port for it once it's done. Being a true linux box it shouldn't be that hard once they dive into it. Rumor has it they already have a test unit...just need to find the time to port I would imagine. So far the N56 has been rock solid and zero problems even with the stock firmware. Sometimes I think people expect things to be perfect on these boxes and what they don't realize is that they are no different than routers costing 30x this much when it comes to firmware/software. There will always be issues and patches the only difference is that SLA on a commercial box demands that immediate fixes happen whereas residential boxes are fixed when they are fixed unless it's a huge issue.

So far the N56 has proven itself to be a solid box, animal like speed and easy as hell on the wallet for the features. Gamers should take a real close look at the N56 in my opinion.

Uptime: 10days 15hours 8minutes 32seconds

Not a single lockup or reboot except for the last time I made changes to the box.

--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope