how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbr4

join:2003-07-12
Prior Lake, MN

Qwest VoIP problems when uploading with Q1000 router

I have both a Actiontec Q1000 router and Linksys/Cisco SPA-2102 VoIP that were purchased a year ago from Qwest. Now after a year of intermittent problems, I've finally figured out that the Q1000 drops outgoing voice packets when I'm uploading data, and I can't find any way to prioritize traffic from the VoIP box.

I can't believe Qwest would sell me a product that is unreliable, and can not be trusted for emergency or important phone calls. I was told by a VoIP customer service person that this is a known issue with the Q1000. Maybe it's time to look at alternative services for my home phones.

kiknwing

join:2010-12-13
Ogden, UT
I have the exact same setup with the exact same equipment and have not had a problem. Not to say that the customer service rep you talked to lied to you but they are notorious for either being misinformed, not understanding the subject, or just flat out lying to you. Just curious, how do you know that the q1000 is dropping packets? And just for fun, could you also post your modem stats, please.

bbr4

Prior Lake, MN
I've been invited to the Google Music Beta, and when I'm uploading music, we always have problems with outgoing voice. If I have it throttled back to around 256K the outgoing voice is choppy, 512K it's worse and if full bore, there is no outgoing voice at all. In all cases there is no problem with incoming voice. If I shut down the upload, the problem goes away.

kiknwing

Ogden, UT
reply to bbr4
Do you have VDSL service and can you upgrade to a faster upload speed. My solution will work a lot better if it can. Because enabling QoS on a 892kbps service, lets just say that the result will be bad.

kiknwing

Ogden, UT

1 recommendation

reply to bbr4
One more thing, it won't matter what voip service you use with the q1000 because all of them will have the same problem. Basically, if you want to upload music and use the phone, you will need either faster upload speeds or use a router that has some type of traffic prioritizing and put both your computer and the voip box behind it.

bbr4

Prior Lake, MN
Yes I realize that my current setup will not work with any VoIP service, but Qwest needs to provide reliable service. At this point, I can't even rely on a 911 call being successful. I'm sure this violates some FCC requirements.

Also, any sort of upload will cause this to occur. Photos, attachments, videos, etc.

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO
reply to bbr4
Theoretically you would need to set the VOIP traffic to a higher priority in the QoS software on the Q1000 to prevent the delayed VIOP packet problem. I can neither find an on-line manual for the Q1000 nor a indication anywhere that you can modify the QoS settings.

You could try contacting Qwest and Actiontec to see if there is a way to modify the QoS settings on the Q1000. (I'm not saying either would actually help you but they might.)
--
If you’re greener than Gore, you’re green enough.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to bbr4
I concur with others here. The service Qwest is providing is likely fine—it’s treating all packets as equal and dropping packets equally when there’s congestion—but VoIP does not deal with dropped packets well.

Solution? Get a better router that can prioritize VoIP.

bbr4

Prior Lake, MN
Problem is Qwest sold me a crappy router, and they should of known that this is an issue when they sold me VoIP. Either Qwest needs to replace, or I'll switch a more reliable phone service which will not be Qwest.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Almost every router, provided by almost every carrier, for consumer-class Internet service is crappy…

bbr4

Prior Lake, MN
Crappy router from a crappy company. Guess I might just as well move to some other provider.