spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cyberfic

join:2011-06-09
india

[Other] TP-Link TD-W8901G Modem Router as a standalone Router?

Well, I'm expanding my home network and the adsl modem router supplied by my ISP has just 1 RJ-45 port and 1 usb port (and an RJ-11 for the Internet).

I have zeroed in on TP-Link TD-W8901G having 4 RJ-45 ports, 1 USB port, 1 RJ-11 port and also it is a wireless router. Currently I would be connecting the above modem router to my desktop running Linux and using the same ISP with ADSL.

Considering a future scenario where I may decide to use another way to connect to the Internet like maybe 3G or Cable, etc (with their separate modems) I was wondering if my same modem router (TD-W8901G) could be used as a standalone router for connecting the devices on my home network.

Basically, what I want to know is whether this modem router would be able to share an Internet connection from some other source, other than the one provided through its own RJ-11 (ADSL) source?

If there are similar products (by similar I mean any other Wireless ADSL modem 4-port routers) that can provide the feature that I desire (Internet sharing from some other source) please inform. Price IS a consideration. In India the TD-W8901G is about US$ 43.50

Thanking in advance.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:2

Re: [Other] TP-Link TD-W8901G Modem Router as a standalone Route

Why don't you simply buy a router instead of a combination device?

cyberfic

join:2011-06-09
india
said by McSummation:

Why don't you simply buy a router instead of a combination device?

Two reasons:

1. This particular "combination device" as far as I know would be MUCH cheaper than three separate devices: 4-port switch/router + Wireless G router + ADSL Modem (and owning a modem would also eliminate the monthly modem rental charges that I have to pay to my ISP)

2. The Internet access method via ADSL is currently the most reliable and cost-effective in our part of the world and it would most probably be this way although other modes like 3G (that require separate modem) may become a better choice later on.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:2
It does not appear to me that this device can accept any "WAN side" connection other than the RJ-11 phone line.

"4-port with wireless" routers are very common. So, you have a modem (DSL/cable/whatever) feeding into the router. Only 2 devices.