how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Squirrelly

join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA
reply to stoli412

Re: iOS 5: Airplay to multiple speakers?

you can do this on the iPad so I don't know why it wouldn't work with the iPhone

stoli412

join:2003-02-12
UK
said by Squirrelly:

you can do this on the iPad so I don't know why it wouldn't work with the iPhone

I have an iPad and I'm not able to do this. If streaming from the iPod app/Pandora/etc, I can only select one set of speakers at a time. If I want multiple speakers simultaneously, I have to use the Remote app. But that connects back to iTunes on my MBP which must be open and running, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I want to stream iPod/Pandora/TuneIn directly from my iPad to multiple AirPlay speakers in my house simultaneously without any involvement of my MBP or iTunes.

This feature was rumored for iOS 4.3 but didn't make it (as far as I can tell). I want to know if it made it into iOS 5. They've definitely been working on AirPlay since you can now stream video from the iPad, but I'm hoping someone can tell me if this specific feature has been added.

Eldon

join:2001-04-17
Chicago, IL
said by stoli412:

I want to stream iPod/Pandora/TuneIn directly from my iPad to multiple AirPlay speakers in my house simultaneously without any involvement of my MBP or iTunes.

I'm running the current iOS 5 beta on an iPhone 3GS and it's still limited to 1 airplay device at a time.

Squirrelly

join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA
reply to stoli412
said by stoli412:

said by Squirrelly:

I have an iPad and I'm not able to do this. If streaming from the iPod app/Pandora/etc, I can only select one set of speakers at a time. If I want multiple speakers simultaneously, I have to use the Remote app. But that connects back to iTunes on my MBP which must be open and running, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

This feature was rumored for iOS 4.3 but didn't make it (as far as I can tell). I want to know if it made it into iOS 5. They've definitely been working on AirPlay since you can now stream video from the iPad, but I'm hoping someone can tell me if this specific feature has been added.

ahh, I understand, I only use the remote app for iTunes. I have a mac mini running 24/7 as an HTPC connected to my server.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net

1 recommendation

reply to stoli412
said by stoli412:

Me too. I hope the feature makes it into v5. And kudos for being patient with all of the posters who didn't quite understand what you wanted. I would have lost it...
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

stoli412

join:2003-02-12
UK
said by Daemon:

Me too. I hope the feature makes it into v5. And kudos for being patient with all of the posters who didn't quite understand what you wanted. I would have lost it...

I think it's a fairly obscure feature I'm asking about, so I don't blame people at first for not getting it. Especially when it does work with the Remote app, just not any other apps.

Hopefully Apple will add this feature in a future beta. If the iPad can handle streaming video via AirPlay, surely it can handle sending audio to multiple devices.

This feature is really the holy grail for me: Music throughout the house, no central computer/iTunes needed, no super expensive Sonos system to buy, no wiring to put in, guests could access the system with their own iDevices and play their own music.