how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

[Cable] High Quality Amplifier

I have a living room HD DVR and a plain HD box for the bedroom. The DVR in the living room works fine but the box in the bedroom shows "Channels Not Available" on several HD stations.
I have been trying to find a hole in my schedule where I can have TW out to diagnose the problem, but my schedule is erratic and can't find two hours for a service call, and things aren't likely to get any better.
I had the essentially same problem on the living room line and TW installed an amplifier for it (the bedroom plasma was in for service at the time) so I think it must be a weak signal issue (and too the TW tech said I was on the end of a line).

Can someone point me to some good quality amplifiers for the bedroom box, or perhaps a whole house amplifier (would have to be one that can take some heat as the main line is in the attic and gets hot up there). It would make life much easier just to buy an amp now rather than wait until winter when the schedule frees up.
--
There's nothing big I want to prove,
No mountains that I need to move,
Or even claim what's right or true for you.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
What is the cable length from the TV in the bedroom to the connection point in the attic? Is it a single cable or several short lengths connected together? Your solution may be a single run of top quality cable. An attic that is not significantly cooled is going to shorten the life of any amplifier. If you can find the amplifier the TW technician installed, see if there are any identifying markings on it. If you are happy with that one, then you might buy and try one for the other TV.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Rojo_P
Can't comment on whether it's the right solution for you, but I have an Electroline that I bought on eBay, maybe five years ago. You have to make sure the amp is bidirectional (if relevant to your cable system) and that it will handle the entire spectrum in question (dependent on your cable system, also).

You can feed its power through the existing coax as long as you use coax dc blocks appropriately.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to Rojo_P
Unless you have a massive 6000 sq ft house cable company just isn't doing their job period.

Convincing them of that another matter.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to Rojo_P
I'd work to find time to get TWC out to let them diag the issue. If you need one, they'll provide the amplifier for free.

Remember crap signal into an amplifier means even more crap signal out of it.

Rojo_P

Lancaster, OH
reply to Rojo_P
Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like I am going to have to find some time if I want some HD channels in the bedroom. It is obvious that I need attention to the line coming into the home as when I connect the cable directly to the living room DVR (bypassing the amp) I get a black screen.

What the last TW tech did was install an ARPI-2000 Power Inserter (splitter) on the living room only line, which split the incoming signal to a powered amplifier (unbranded model mkd-3512200) and out of the "amp split" to the DVR.

It's really piss poor that the tech didn't install an amp for the whole house while he was here or do something about the overall problem. (While I generally don't have much respect for TW, in my experience the techs have been pretty darned good. The last tech however must not have wanted to deal with my problem).
--

Rojo_P

Lancaster, OH
reply to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

I'd work to find time to get TWC out to let them diag the issue. If you need one, they'll provide the amplifier for free.

I wanted to update the tread to say that I took your advice and made time last Saturday afternoon to have TW out to check the problem. The tech rewired the incoming line, replaced splitters, removed the amplifiers that the last tech installed, and confirmed that the last guy must have not wanted to work that day taking a shortcut at my expense. All work done at no cost and everything is working as it should now.
--