Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slider16988

join:2002-07-11
San Mateo, CA

[General] Here comes my 1st warning!

Dear slider16988,

We want to take this opportunity to remind you that your AT&T High Speed Internet plan includes 150 gigabytes (GB) of data per month. If you go over 150 GB per month three times, you’ll be charged $10 for every incremental 50 GB of usage beyond your plan. We will notify you several times before you incur any overage charges.

We made this change to help balance demand across our network, as a small group of customers consume as much as 19 households worth of usage. That level of activity can create congestion and affect the service levels for all customers.

Based on your recent usage patterns, our records indicate you could be affected by this change. To help you better understand your data plan and to let you know of some ways you can manage your data use and avoid the possibility of overage charges in the future, please visit att.com/internet-usage to take advantage of the following resources:

A personalized usage report that shows how much actual data you’ve
used in a month. This secure site can be accessed with your primary
AT&T email ID and password.

A data calculator to estimate usage for a particular month.

Tips and information about the kinds of Internet activity that can impact
your actual usage and ways you can reduce it.
Thank you for choosing AT&T.

Sincerely,

Your AT&T High Speed Internet Customer Care Team

Please do not reply to this email. This address is automated, unattended and cannot help with questions or requests.

©2011. AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other AT&T marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T and/or AT&T affiliated companies.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
What did AT&T say you used? How much usage did you measure?
--
TCE Weather

slider16988

San Mateo, CA
Click for full size
don't know how much exact used, didn't measure it myself.

Piedone

join:2000-10-20
S California
reply to slider16988
I got the very same letter and my usage peaked at 145gb for the month of May.

slider16988

San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

reply to slider16988
BYE BYE at&t. will switch over to sonic.net next week. don't have to deal with that data cap any more.

curiousmodem

@pacbell.net
Im curious, it sounds good to switch to another service provider, but if the other one doesnt have caps, arent the low bandwidth users potentially impacted by the high bandwidth users?

We thought about switching too (although last time i checked we weren't reaching the cap - only SD TV).

If the high usage users are moving to a service with no caps.. it may end-up being a congested network for all, grass not as green as you think it is?

av9116

join:2001-12-17
South San Francisco, CA
said by curiousmodem :

Im curious, it sounds good to switch to another service provider, but if the other one doesnt have caps, arent the low bandwidth users potentially impacted by the high bandwidth users?

Got brainwashed by AT&T? It doesn't have a big impact as AT&T implies it has.

I've been with Sonic.net for about 2 months now (DSL), I've always had the max connection I paid for.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by av9116:

I've been with Sonic.net for about 2 months now (DSL), I've always had the max connection I paid for.

I am just starting with Sonic.net. To be fair, you have to admit they only offer "up to 20 mb/s", and let the modem and DSLAM negotiate the best possible speed for the loop length. So, if you are beyond 5,000 feet, or so, from the DSLAM, your max speed will be lower than 20 mb/s. At 9,156 feet from the DSLAM, I max out at ~5 mb/s.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

av9116

join:2001-12-17
South San Francisco, CA
said by NormanS:

said by av9116:

I am just starting with Sonic.net. To be fair, you have to admit they only offer "up to 20 mb/s", and let the modem and DSLAM negotiate the best possible speed for the loop length. So, if you are beyond 5,000 feet, or so, from the DSLAM, your max speed will be lower than 20 mb/s. At 9,156 feet from the DSLAM, I max out at ~5 mb/s.

I said I'm using DSL, not Fusion.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to curiousmodem
said by curiousmodem :

We thought about switching too (although last time i checked we weren't reaching the cap - only SD TV).

If the high usage users are moving to a service with no caps.. it may end-up being a congested network for all, grass not as green as you think it is?

It has an effect on shitty companies that care only about stockholders, executives, and avoid upgrades...

So it does affect At&t. Notice how Verizon has no caps? Notice how they laid out Fiber to the Node?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to curiousmodem
said by curiousmodem :

AT&T isn't affected by "bandwidth hogs" as much as by capital investment in regulatory capture instead of growth. They are also in the midst of a switch from ADSL to ADSL2+ IP-DSLAM and U-verse "Internet Only" service. High speed Internet threatens IPTV offerings, and the profit of serving up Hollywood products (every show sucked down over the regular Internet is a show not watched over IPTV/CATV) so the MSOs, and IPTV providers are trying to protect the interests of Hollywood, more than anybody else.

OTOH, smaller companies which are willing to invest in infrastructure, rather than regulatory capture, and have no product offering Hollywood shows, aren't likely to have either a bandwidth crunch, or producers of entertainment breathing down their corporate necks.

With no hold over these companies, no wonder Hollywood is trying to buy laws.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

btop

join:2011-06-26
reply to slider16988
I haven't received a letter about breaking the cap, because I haven't come anywhere close to it. But I have received a phone call about a letter I sent to them in disgust about their meters.

They have been overestimating my usage by 2+ GB every week. I have called their tech support about it--and they completely blew me off as you would expect--so I wrote them a letter. It was pleasant and business-like, but clearly showed my disgust and valid reasons for it.

I received a telephone call from them about my letter, because, as he said it, he was "concerned". But this person refused to answer any of my questions or address any of my concerns. He insisted that their totals are absolutely correct, but admitted that they are estimated.

He said that only thing I could to was write another letter of complaint. Another letter? You won't forward the letter that I already wrote and addressed to HQ, the one that is in your hot hand, to the appropriate people? I have to waste more time writing another one?

I question how imposing a data cap will affect their router congestion. They say congestion happens at peak hours. Those same people who use at peak hours will still use at peak hours whether they have unlimited service or are limited to 150 GB/month and 5 GB/day. And 150 GB/month is pathetic.

AT&T is the worst.