spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slcpd6469
join:2003-09-25
Saint Louis, MO

slcpd6469

Dell Latitude E5520 SSD Problems

I just purchased a Latitude E5520 with a 320GB Hard drive that worked fine. I wanted to start experimenting with SSDs to see if they are a good replacement. So I purchased an ADATA S599 128GB SSD. The drive seems to work fine but every time I turn the laptop on the SSD is not recognized. I get the error that says no bootable device found Press enter to reboot. I press enter the laptop reboots and finds the SSD and boots into Windows. What is going on? I have put the SSD in a HP netbook and it boots on the first try every time. I am a little concerned this is happening since you can configure the E5520 with a SSD from the factory.

Oh and I have also tried the drive in 2 other identical E5520s.
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

said by slcpd6469:

Oh and I have also tried the drive in 2 other identical E5520s.

Ok you tried the drive in 2 other Dell notebooks, What happened.

Personally I'd say it is the drive and the notebook hardware not being totally compatible.

You could also try taking the notebook off Quick Boot (or something like that) to give the notebook and SSD more time for detection from a cold boot.

Have you tried updating the BIOS???
slcpd6469
join:2003-09-25
Saint Louis, MO

slcpd6469

When I tried the drive in the other 2 Dells they did the same thing. First boot failed then restarted and it booted fine. I also tried setting SATA Operation to ATA instead of AHCI and that seemed to work.

I have tried Thorough, Auto and Minimal boot settings and get the same results.

There are no BIOS updates for this model yet. I did upgrade teh firmware of the SSD but that didn't help.

I was just talking with Dell and they claim that they have a few open tickets about this same issue. They want me to call into their Early Life Support team and talk with them.