spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fosuregadget

join:2011-06-10

Sudnlnk WIFI@ home costs & how it works??!!

I already pay OVER $100 a month for my service with Suddenlink and now the rep I just talked with told me in order to use wifi @ home(trying to make my AT&T bill for my Sony Xperia smartphone not be so high each month--& AT&T tells me if I use wifi it's no charge) I would have to pay an additional $10 EVERY MONTH for their router because my "Ambit" cable modem(for their high speed 1.5 internet service) is not a modem/router all in one....ANYONE know if this is the case, and if so, is there a cheaper/better and secure alternative out there that I can do/buy,etc..??!! I have NO CLUE when it comes to all this tech stuff--not really understanding how the wifi thing works or how it would make my cell phone bill cheaper even?? HELP, can anyone explain how this all works and if there are any other options available that I just am clueless about?!!

Ncog

join:2011-06-08

It's probably the rental fee on the all-in-one router and the cost of supporting it. If I were you I'd just go pick up a $50 linksys wireless router/gateway and hook it up to your ambit.

One $50 fee is better than a $10 monthly, though Suddenlink will not support your linksys router if you have issues with it.

$10/m for device and support
or
$50 for device and you support it yourself.

Your choice.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

said by Ncog:

It's probably the rental fee on the all-in-one router and the cost of supporting it. If I were you I'd just go pick up a $50 linksys wireless router/gateway and hook it up to your ambit.

One $50 fee is better than a $10 monthly, though Suddenlink will not support your linksys router if you have issues with it.

$10/m for device and support
or
$50 for device and you support it yourself.

Your choice.

Also on the linksys, you will NEED to secure it, put a wireless wep or somethin of that nature, since suddenlink is locking down on people stealling others internet..

enc_timer

@suddenlink.net

Don't use WEP on a wireless router, WPA2 at the very least.

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX

said by enc_timer :

Don't use WEP on a wireless router, WPA2 at the very least.

i do agree, but alot of times if you call belkin or a company like that they set up a wep..., which i personally hate but ya gotta have something, on mine i got wpa2 on both channels (2 wireless logins, one main, the other guest) which the guest is slowed down to a certain point

but fosuregadget you can go to walmart and get a router and it will work, just make sure you read the instructions or call up the company so they can walk you threw it

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to fosuregadget

any security can be defeated, but something is better than nothing. as far as wep vs wpa2, you also have to consider the devices on the network. have an older wifi printer that can only do wep, so that segment has to be encrypted for wep in my case. luckily i'm the only person that has a wifi signal in like a quarter mile around, lol, and not much chance of a war driver on a dead end back country road!

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to fosuregadget

To those that use a wireless router and have their computers hooked up with a usb wireless....is the speeds comparable to using a ethernet port/card(wired router)?

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX

said by Zorack:

To those that use a wireless router and have their computers hooked up with a usb wireless....is the speeds comparable to using a ethernet port/card(wired router)?

From past experience of a usb wireless they arnt that good, but they do the job, you could get a wifi card and put it in the computer, they are way better on signal from my experience, and plus it dont take a usb

»www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+-+Xt···&st=wifi cards&cp=1&lp=2

and you can always get different one's im just showing these cards for the computers are available, and do make sure you computer slot can handle pci, or whatever the card is

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

pci is no problem,I would rather prefer it over usb,was just wondering since I want to forgo having a wired ethernet connection

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

said by Zorack:

pci is no problem,I would rather prefer it over usb,was just wondering since I want to forgo having a wired ethernet connection

Wireless isn't as fast as wired because it has to encrypt and decrypt the signal, but they can get pretty close if you have the right setup "ie. router and wireless adapter" and "line of sight" to the router is also a factor.

said by moldypickle:

any security can be defeated, but something is better than nothing. as far as wep vs wpa2, you also have to consider the devices on the network. have an older wifi printer that can only do wep, so that segment has to be encrypted for wep in my case. luckily i'm the only person that has a wifi signal in like a quarter mile around, lol, and not much chance of a war driver on a dead end back country road!

You can get routers that can have more than one wireless SSID with different encryption on them. I have mine set up like that, and have MAC filtering on and not broadcasting the SSID's on it so people will have a hard time trying to break in. Main SSID with WPA2 AES and second SSID with 128 WEP.