Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

TELUS raises caps on all plans, upstream on Turbo 25

Since this seems to have gone largely unnoticed, TELUS the other day raised the unenforced caps on all of their internet plans.

* Optik High Speed Turbo / High Speed Turbo 25, was 250GB now 500GB
* Optik High Speed / High Speed Turbo, was 125GB now 250GB
* High Speed, was 75GB now 150GB
* High Speed Lite, was 13GB now 30GB

Other highlights include

* Upstream, unofficially (as previously mentioned on DSLR) has been increased from 2Mbps to 3Mbps for Turbo 25 customers. This change will take awhile to roll out, and I assume the site will be updated when everyone has been updated
* Overage "charges" for High Speed Lite have been reduced from $5/GB to $2/GB

This seems like a purely reactionary move to compete with Shaw's new offerings, however I look forward to new TELUS Business plans to compete with Shaw's offerings and future innovation from the company.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

boyio2006

join:2006-04-11
Prince Albert, SK

nice to see them, if they reduce the prices,shaw
will lose customers like flies and seagull going south.

HDman50

join:2010-12-22
reply to pfak

Don't forget the basic home phone price increase by $4.

All of it as you say is purely copying shaw, sans the charge per GB and having no unlimited option.

Telus should change it's critter to a Sheep

aa_aa

join:2006-11-15
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to pfak

said by pfak:

This seems like a purely reactionary move to compete with Shaw's new offerings, however I look forward to new TELUS Business plans to compete with Shaw's offerings and future innovation from the company.

Any idea when these new business plans may be announced or come out?

kylez

join:2009-03-26
reply to pfak

Very cool to say the least.

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to aa_aa

said by HDman50:

»www.telus.com//portalWeb/content···essages/

I don't see any price increase for phone service?

said by aa_aa:

Your guess is as good as mine? Just based on their reactions to Shaw, I am assuming it's coming on the way.
--

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to pfak

I could use some 25/3. That 3Mbps upload would make using my home VPN a lot faster!

It's no good to me with port 443 blocked though.

The wait for wholesale speed matching is like waiting for Duke Nukem Forever all over again...

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

1 edit
reply to HDman50

said by HDman50:

Telus should change it's critter to a Sheep

You had me cracking up with this one. It's so appropriate.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

troxd

join:2011-06-06

No updates for the measly 15/1 package? That upload is slow

to a crawl. This is 2011.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

I was wondering the same thing. Surely ADSL2+ supports faster upload speeds?

I just moved to an area that doesn't have turbo 25, and I'm really missing the faster upload speed.

babybunnies

join:2010-01-17
Kelowna, BC
reply to pfak

if they're "unenforced caps" why does telus feel that they have to raise the limits of their plans?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

I was wondering the same thing. Surely ADSL2+ supports faster upload speeds?

1.4Mbps I believe is the max upload for ADSL2+

You need a near perfect line to be able to actually sync that high though.

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to babybunnies

said by babybunnies:

if they're "unenforced caps" why does telus feel that they have to raise the limits of their plans?

Marketing.
--

WontonNoodle

join:2011-04-17
reply to pfak

would like updates to the 15/1 package

really slow with tv's on
and upload speed is painfully slow

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by WontonNoodle:

would like updates to the 15/1 package

really slow with tv's on
and upload speed is painfully slow

Turbo 15 package with TTV on a VDSL2 port is provisioned at 30Mbps downstream, 3Mbps upstream: Just like the Turbo 25 package.

You are QoSed to 15Mbps downstream, 1Mbps upstream. If you are painfully slow you are on an ADSL2+ port and that's most likely the best you can expect.
--

iceberg

@shawcable.net
reply to pfak

Too little, too late Telus.

As a wise man once said "They are just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic"

TierX

join:2009-01-20
Canada
kudos:8
reply to troxd

said by troxd:

No updates for the measly 15/1 package? That upload is slow

to a crawl. This is 2011.

Its ADSL2+, your upstream isn't going to go past 1mbps. I know someone will be quick to point out Annex M, but Annex M was an afterthought in the ADSL2+ standard. Aside from defining a different PSD, they didn't improve framing parameters or interleaver memory to accommodate the increase in upstream.

What this means in practice, is Annex M only offers higher upstream if you're willing to greatly sacrifice impulse noise protection. With Annex M, your upstream with INP=1 maxes out at 1.8mbps, and INP=2 limits you to ~950kbps (even on a 0ft loop length). Setting INP=1/2 (very low protection) will give you 2600kbps on a 0ft loop, but even in the lab, it pukes errors, and will retrain. VDSL2 extended U0 fixes all of these problems ..

iHateShaw

join:2009-05-16
reply to pfak

said by pfak:

said by HDman50:

»www.telus.com//portalWeb/content···essages/

I don't see any price increase for phone service?

said by aa_aa:

Your guess is as good as mine? Just based on their reactions to Shaw, I am assuming it's coming on the way.

Yes, there was a price increase. The most basic bundle for 3 services was $86, now it is $90. Home phone was $21, now it is $25.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to iceberg

said by iceberg :

Too little, too late Telus.

As a wise man once said "They are just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic"

I suppose, allthough I'm pretty content with 15mbps unlimited right now for for $43 a month (ro is 45 now?). If telus doesn't enforce cap, i'm not sure how motivated i'll be to switch.

I probably do around 500gb's a month. So at 100mbps thats 69-79 a month (I'd probably opt for the 750 plan just in case).

So currently on telus, while its slower.. I'm saving 24-34 dollars a month. I also worry about node saturation, but there's no way to know if you're on a croweded node until you make the jump.

I think it all depends in how Telus' markets what they have. Even if the speeds are low, if they advertise lower speed/price unlimited packages, it could remain attractive. Speed isn't everything.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to pfak

Well I haven't noticed a change, I'm still at 2Mbps.

kylez

If your has profile changed (or no longer exists), you have to call in to be moved. Otherwise you're grandfathered.

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05
reply to pfak

What would it take to get upload speeds higher than 5 mbps on existing VDSL2 infrastructure? (That is, would it be a simple profile switch, or something more involved?) It'd be a nice advantage over Shaw, who don't offer anything over 5 until they start rolling out phase 2.
Here, I'll even give the marketing team a head start
It's all about you! *lion cub leaping upward into a cloud surrounded by trendy up arrows*
Upload your documents, photos, songs and videos to the cloud faster than ever before!

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to kylez

I called into Telus TV techs and Internet techs and neither group has heard of a new profile with 3Mbps up speed on Turbo 25. I suppose this isn't officially released yet.

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by WhosTheBosch:

I called into Telus TV techs and Internet techs and neither group has heard of a new profile with 3Mbps up speed on Turbo 25. I suppose this isn't officially released yet.

said by pfak:

* Upstream, unofficially (as previously mentioned on DSLR) has been increased from 2Mbps to 3Mbps for Turbo 25 customers. This change will take awhile to roll out, and I assume the site will be updated when everyone has been updated

I'm really not sure how much clearer I have to be?
--

Zac
Premium
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB
reply to aa_aa

Woo! Well, they updated the business site, Server plan now comes with 200gb of data, much needed update over 80gb, lol...

Now I can finally let my 15mbps line run a big more free without quite as much of a need of being so careful. Granted it's always been more of a soft cap anyway, but still having it in writing that the cap is 2.5x higher is nice.

No speed bumps or vdsl2 plans yet though, but I can't get vdsl in my area anyway. ah well, at least the business plans are a little more comparable to the residential counterparts now.
»www.telus.com/en_CA/BC/products/···tml#tab2
--
~There is no Normal or Abnormal... Just Diversity.
Member of Team Helix - Join Us?

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by Zac:

Woo! Well, they updated the business site, Server plan now comes with 200gb of data, much needed update over 80gb, lol...

Those plans are pathetic. Really. If that's all TELUS can do in the face of Shaw's superior customer service & offerings that's rather worrying.
--

Zac
Premium
Calgary, AB

said by pfak:

Those plans are pathetic. Really. If that's all TELUS can do in the face of Shaw's superior customer service & offerings that's rather worrying.

Compared to what I have for competition, it's plenty enough data for me currently. The cable company locally sucks, and the only other option is a local wireless company (which get their connection from the super net), they have great service but the speeds on their plans are a bit dated, especially since TELUS has had ADSL2+ here for just over a year now.

So feel free to support shaw, but they doesn't serve anyone even remotely close to my area. Point for Telus for good service in a small town.
--

kylez

reply to Zac

Looks like it's worse if anything... They've increased the BW but from what I'm reading you don't have 'Server Hosting Privledges' if you're not paying atleast $96.65 per month per workstation?! It also looks like the previous existing SLA was removed.

This is just bad.

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to pfak

Yah what he said. I measured no noticable decrease in speed with 3 active HD streams on 15/1. It wasn't until I started an SD stream that the speed started to decrease. Our connection is VDSL2.

Zac
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to kylez

said by kylez:

Looks like it's worse if anything... They've increased the BW but from what I'm reading you don't have 'Server Hosting Privledges' if you're not paying atleast $96.65 per month per workstation?! It also looks like the previous existing SLA was removed.

This is just bad.

Its not per workstation, that's per ADSL Line. I have 4 computers, 2 PS3s, an Xbox 360, and a whole bunch of other peripherals/wifi enabled things behind my network. You also do have Server Hosting Privledges for both the $96 and $166 server plans.

I've been on the server plan for about 4, maybe 5 years now, even back when I was on a residential line... But over a year ago, they contacted me and told me it was no longer allowed, so I had to swap one of our phonelines to a business contract, works good actually, only $35 a month with 3 features, plus $0.03 or $0.04 per minute anywhere in north america.
Server plan was originally $96 + $15 extra for the 15mbit speeds after I swapped it over (previously 3mbit/1mbit), but now the price has dropped and I'm only being charged $85 a month for my Server connection, which is what I've been paying for the past 5 years, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Full Server Hosting Privileges, 15mbit/1mbit speeds, now 200gb worth of bandwidth, short of more speed/VDSL2+, I couldn't really ask for more.

I don't see the point in the $166 plan, the only difference between the 2 plans now is 2 static ips vs 5, more dialup hours, and more email accounts... definitely not worth the 70 extra, lol...
--