Crunching for Cures
Premium Member
join:2011-02-03

MerinX to beachside

Premium Member

to beachside

Re: TELUS raises caps on all plans, upstream on Turbo 25

according to top google search results it is best defined as

an immediate unthinking emotional reaction produced by an event or statement to which the reacting person is highly sensitive; - in persons with strong feelings on a topic, it may be very predictable.

unless of course you choose the technical definition
HDman50
join:2010-12-22

HDman50

It is kneejerk like when they put the caps up after Shaw in December, Shaw changed theirs down and then Telus put High Speed Turbo to 250GB and then back to 125GB after a few weeks too. This time I think the caps are here to stay and I think they are not bad caps at all. But I think it is totally kneejerk reaction there is a history of it. Cell phone business mentality brushing off onto other services.

Shepard and Sheep
Roofer
join:2010-11-24

Roofer

said by HDman50:

Shaw changed theirs down and then Telus put High Speed Turbo to 250GB and then back to 125GB after a few weeks too.

That did not happen. Shaw did lower the caps, but Telus never followed. Or else we would have been all over them like we did with Shaw.
HDman50

2 edits

HDman50 to tvancorchain

to tvancorchain
said by tvancorchain :

to get Shaws high caps or unlimited for internet, you have to keep the anchor of cable tv firmly attached to your tv. what a crock.

Wrong.
Shaw Standalone prices
UnLite - $74.90
BB50 - $74.90
BB100 - $84.90
BB100+ - $94.90
BB100U - $134.90 unlimited

Telus
High Speed 1.5 - 6mbps $39
High Speed Turbo 21-25mbps $63
Optik Turbo (must have TV and bundled) 5-25mbps $52

So Telus 25mbps by itself $63 or twice as fast Shaw 50mbps by itself for $74.90 is the way I see it on their websites. Except now Telus offers 100GB more which is nice!

Your source is outdated and so are Telus' speeds now.
HDman50

HDman50 to Roofer

to Roofer
It did and when I had Telus I complained and they said it might of been a mistake I cut out from their webpage at the time. If you want to zoom in I didn't edit the screen shot at all but I did have to change the size in emailing it to their CSR. It was on their site from early December 2010 for a few weeks... Same time they bumped up light speed to 13 from 10 and HS to 75 from 60GB...

Roofer
join:2010-11-24

2 edits

Roofer to HDman50

to HDman50
said by HDman50:

Your source is outdated and so are Telus' speeds now.

The problem is that Shaw's high caps are extremely expensive. In order to get the caps, you are forced to pay for higher speeds regardless of whether you want it or not. So it is UBB in disguise.

BTW, giving someone $10 off and calling it unbundled is a joke. Their internet is subsidizing their television.

Like I said before, when the foreign competition hearings begin, someone like Michael Geist will easily pick apart Shaw's new plans as proof that there is a lack of true competition in Canada, & that UBB is alive and well, just more pleasantly presented.

If you want high caps but do not require the high speeds (which would be the majority of us who just streams), go with TekSavvy, & pay only 1/2 to 1/3 of what you would pay Shaw for equivalent caps.

Shaw has chosen to compete using speed & television. I hope Telus decides to complete using caps alone.

[Edit] The best thing Telus can do is to officially removed usage limits. The next best thing is to keep things exactly as is, because for all practical purposes, we are getting unlimited caps.

[Edit 2] Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against paying for higher speeds as long as the requirement is there. If Netflix decides to stream blu-ray, then my requirements will change and I will gladly pay for the speed. But IMO, television, speed & caps should not be bundled, however well disguised it may be.
Roofer

Roofer to HDman50

to HDman50
I don't recall the 250G for high-speed turbo. Was it just a typo & they corrected it? In any case, I was wrong & I apologize.
HDman50

HDman50

Roofer you don't have to apologize, it could of just been a simple site error. To me, at the time when all this UBB stuff was in initial talks there were lots of changes on both sites going on. I could very well be wrong with my opinion too. At the time it got me thinking as I have a big family, netflix and internet usage galore. I was concerned too. I actually had a Telus case ID number but they never did get back to me.

Shaw's bump up program on their site looks like it wont happen till next year anyway so no additional charges till then and this fall Telus will play their hand (as publicly stated).

Netflix quality is dependent on speed and that chart they had up start of the year didn't show the average speed of Telco's too favorably. Heaven forbid a Netflix Blu-ray, my kids would go nuts! You see for us in our home we need the speed, rather than multiple connections and we have the benefit of the bundle too.
I think we would see 1080p broadcast VOD from a provider first then broadcast before netflix, but not the selection of netflix. Especially not from non vertically integrated companies.

Telus should be given credit for doing something here with this change, but I think we will hear more in a few months time about their game plan. I suspect the cost /GB will drop a little and official plans for a slightly faster speed will come out. I reckon their AUP policy will remain the same with warnings but this time with lots of public talk about usage on their network we may see people with charges on their bill for additional overage.

Rivalman
Rival
join:2004-01-18

Rivalman

If Telus removed the caps and raised the upload, they might get some well deserved attention.

How would people here feel about 25/5 unlimited for $59.99?

I might reconsider at that price just because so far Telus has proven to be more consistent and 25 is enough for me to be honest.

Thoughts?
beachside
join:2009-06-28

beachside to HDman50

to HDman50
said by HDman50:

It is kneejerk like when they put the caps up after Shaw in December, Shaw changed theirs down and then Telus put High Speed Turbo to 250GB and then back to 125GB after a few weeks too. This time I think the caps are here to stay and I think they are not bad caps at all. But I think it is totally kneejerk reaction there is a history of it. Cell phone business mentality brushing off onto other services.

There is a difference between knee-jerk, and strategic or opportunistic. Knee-jerk is emotional and unthinking. Strategic and opportunistic are calculated and well thought out.

Shepard and Sheep

Armchair quarterback.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Rivalman

to Rivalman
That would be the ideal plan and price. 25Mb download is enough for me. Well, for now anyways. About the only time I get close to my 25Mb download speed cap is torrenting. I would love to see 5Mb upload though.
BadMagpie
join:2011-02-05

BadMagpie to pfak

to pfak
30-40 mbps down
10+ mbps up
$90-95 a month.

I do enough working from home, video conferencing and so on to make it worthwhile.

South_of_22
join:2009-03-23

South_of_22 to HDman50

to HDman50
Click for full size
Cool.

I can download 250gigs in a month now and not get charged extra.

Not like I ever had to pay extra, but I will take that 250gig per month quota when and if Telus ever enforces overages.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Wasn't Telus going to impose per byte fees on all tiers? What happened to that?

»Telus Says They'll Impose Usage-Based Billing

NoLuckChuck
@teksavvy.com

NoLuckChuck to pfak

Anon

to pfak
Halfhearted effort to retain a couple of hundred daft subscribers who couldn't even spell their own names. Telus can't buy time it's all over for them except the crying.
NoLuckChuck

NoLuckChuck to Karl Bode

Anon

to Karl Bode
Like you said before "end of the line dsl" over copper. Telus will learn the meaning of end of the line at the hands of Shaw.

errorrr
@telus.net

errorrr to Karl Bode

Anon

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

the shaw hounds pumped up a phrase that was loosely said by a telus executive and then twisted it to look like telus was going to become the bhell of the west(low caps and scam pricing). so the shaw fanboiz keep reiterating that telus has overage fee's on the telus site, that history has shown, are not enforced and have existed for years on the site to slightly discourage bandwidth pigs.
meanwhile shaw is juggling it's tiers/bundles/caps, after losing the potential UBB cash cow(planning by some ISP's for UBB started in nov 2010), to make it look like everyone needs the 100Mbps speeds, when people really only need 25Mbps and a 800GB or unlimited cap. at least telus continues to add bandwidth throughput capacity, by expanding their fiber to the system to keep up with future demand.

why so much hate of telus by shaw users????? traditional tv over cable is dead. long live tv over the Internet at extremely lower cost(free or almost free streaming of network website tv feeds). it is bad to use internet rates to subsidize lost tv customers who can no longer afford , in some cases, a $100 a month, plus equipment purchases/replacements.

kondio
@telus.net

kondio

Anon

Shaw has a BUMP-UP program where if you go over your monthly quota you automatically get bumped up to the next Internet plan wih a higher cap + higher speed and than you are charged for the remaining of the month on that higher plan. Next month it goes back to your original plan. This is the way to go IMO instead $/Gigabyte over. When plans are 10$ different and you go over in the half of the month you get charged 5$. I can live with that when i need it, so now i dont need to worry about going over 4GB extra to get charged per GB or constantly counting my 250GB monthly quota(in Telus's case).
beachside
join:2009-06-28

beachside

said by kondio :

I can live with that when i need it, so now i dont need to worry about going over 4GB extra to get charged per GB or constantly counting my 250GB monthly quota(in Telus's case).

Do you know what happens when I go over my Telus "cap"? Nothing. I don't get "bumped up", I don't pay overages, nothing. Same for all other Telus customers.

Enjoy your Shaw bump-up. Telus customers are enjoying no caps
HDman50

HDman50

Same with Shaw. The caps are soft caps and managed just as they always have been with no charges, FYI after my inquiry bump up details come out February next year, until then faster speeds with Shaw and no cap to worry about for nearly same price that Telus offers and no less service - no brainer!

I bet in a few months Telus will show their cards and it will be $/GB enforced. Shawn Hall even said it is coming fall. With words like - "Customer friendly", definitely there, "lots of warnings" etc. Why go to that trouble if it is carry on Canada as normal? A kneejerk?

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium Member
join:2011-02-03

MerinX to errorrr

Premium Member

to errorrr
said by errorrr :

said by Karl Bode:

the shaw hounds pumped up a phrase that was loosely said by a telus executive and then twisted it to look like telus was going to become the bhell of the west(low caps and scam pricing). so the shaw fanboiz keep reiterating that telus has overage fee's on the telus site, that history has shown, are not enforced and have existed for years on the site to slightly discourage bandwidth pigs.
meanwhile shaw is juggling it's tiers/bundles/caps, after losing the potential UBB cash cow(planning by some ISP's for UBB started in nov 2010), to make it look like everyone needs the 100Mbps speeds, when people really only need 25Mbps and a 800GB or unlimited cap. at least telus continues to add bandwidth throughput capacity, by expanding their fiber to the system to keep up with future demand.

why so much hate of telus by shaw users????? traditional tv over cable is dead. long live tv over the Internet at extremely lower cost(free or almost free streaming of network website tv feeds). it is bad to use internet rates to subsidize lost tv customers who can no longer afford , in some cases, a $100 a month, plus equipment purchases/replacements.

I would not say it is shaw customers who put the words in telus's mouth.

I just posted what i read off of
»www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet ··· mbiaHome
"Telus spokesman Shawn Hall told CTV News his company will also be implementing usage-based fees later this year for anyone exceeding their monthly cap. "

Plus the video on the site is pretty damning. Shaw and Telus have both been ask for better responses and both have denied the requests. So they are the only ones to blame for the lack of clear information out their. As such we really have no choice but to speculate.

Considering it started with my thread i really would not consider my self a shaw hound considering i have been helping to lead the charge against UBB in the west since the talks about if have began from shawjames's desperately trying to sell the pubic on shaw's over priced data packs.

»[ALL] Telus UBB this year!?

and shaw's vain attempts at selling UBB
»Shaw charging for extra bandwidth.....
xtachx
join:2005-11-19
canada

1 recommendation

xtachx to pfak

to pfak
Maybe everyone here who thinks "25 is all we need" will understand 1 simple difference:

In this forum you are discussing about how 25 Mbps "should be enough"

In shaw forum, people are discussing if they should get a gigabit router.

See the difference? Caps at the moment are not enforced and the 250 Mbps package for $104 (with TV) comes with "only" a cap of 1 TB.

Maybe the 6 of you can stay on 25 MBps, but please give credit where its deserved. Shaw just stepped into the future - and unless telus follows they will lose out on it big time. Its like EDGE and HSPA. Over EDGE, you can talk and text and check email - but why do people prefer HSPA over EDGE?

Telus' needs to get rid of their caps etc ... and start competing. Shaw took a step int he right direction thsi time

anonymouse99
@telus.net

anonymouse99

Anon

xtachx

Any reason you are posting in the Telus area of DSLReports if you are not a Telus DSL subsciber?

mousekiller
@startdedicated.com

mousekiller

Anon

I guess there is no such thing as freedom of speech. Xtachx can post on whatever part of the forum he wants, just like anyone else can. Are you going to criticize all the other non telus dsl subscribers who post in the telus forums?
WontonNoodle
join:2011-04-17

WontonNoodle to pfak

to pfak
so... optik birthday

give me better speeds lmao
would be a good present

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79

Premium Member

said by WontonNoodle:

so... optik birthday

give me better speeds lmao
would be a good present

»www.telus.com/order/bund ··· ion=e1s1
not faster speeds but.... If you order online you get a free kinect, free xbox, and free HD pvr with your 3yr term.... plus 6 mo at a discounted rate.

anoymouse99
@personainc.net

anoymouse99 to mousekiller

Anon

to mousekiller
If she or he and similar are going to continue bashing Telus and its customers, yes. I will continue my own freedom of speech critisizing them for continously bashing Telus on DSLReports.
Onetwo
join:2009-04-14
Medicine Hat, AB

Onetwo to pfak

to pfak
Just so I am clear, my telus turbo 25 internet (i dont have optic) will soon have 3mbps upload?

Has anyone received these new speeds yet?

Honestly for charging me 68 dollars a month I would like to see 50 down and 5 up comparable to shaw.

Rivalman
Rival
join:2004-01-18

Rivalman

Yep, buddy of mine is on 25/2.5 and his is now the 25/3.
Got upgraded about a week ago, and his speedtests put his upload at about 2.7ish.

NW Calgary
WontonNoodle
join:2011-04-17

WontonNoodle to JammerMan79

to JammerMan79
can i get that stuff even if i'm already a subscriber on contract?