join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA

3 edits

1 recommendation

PhonePower to Pinan

Premium Member

to Pinan

Re: Phone Power partial outage....

There is literally nothing in this situation. Inbound numbers can only be handled by a single LEC company and can not be multi-homed (meaning that only one company can handle your incoming number at any given time). I keep editing this to give you a complete picture.

You could give callers a backup number? Or if this is mission critical, maybe a move to POTS is warranted.

Maybe others have a creative solution, but at some level the number must work first...

topgun
join:2011-01-31

topgun

Ditto, hence my water main example. Water has to enter your pad somewhere. If a pipe breaks and your water stops running are you going to call the utility company and say excuse me I'm running a business, you should have had some redundancy? They are going to say sorry pal take a number, lol. It would be nice if we had an endless supply of krypton, manpower, and money but this is the real world...

Pinan

join:2000-09-02
Murrieta, CA

Pinan to PhonePower

to PhonePower
Thanks PhonePower. An alternate number will be fine and not a problem. I'll work on it.

bv12345
@wayport.net

bv12345

Anon

Pinan... I was just thinking about this and something came to mind. With my previous VOIP provider, I had my regular number ported to them, which I have had for 35 years. Later I added a number, I think they called it a virtual number... but anyhow, it is where you have 2 phone numbers both on the same line with a distinctive ring.

Well, my previous provider never outright admitted this, but I found out through several good sources that they did not pay their bill with one of their CLECS, so I too had the same situation as you. I could make outgoing calls, but I could not receive calls. It was bad situation because my service was out for several days.

I come to find out that my other number, which I rarely used, just for faxes, rang and received a fax. It turned out that number was still working because it was a different CLEC.

What I am thinking here is this... maybe you could ask PP for a second number on a different CLEC. The downside is someone will have to call a different number if this type of situation occurs again. But the upside is that you will be able to receive calls. I would say the chances of 2 CLECS both going down at once is very high odds.

I do not think there is anything 100% fool proof. Even 911 has gone down and they have lots of backups in place.

topgun

topgun to Pinan

to Pinan
Alot of people suggest to separate VoIP compnies just like I have PP, SkypeOut, and Cell. You can get a cheap PAYG account from CallCentric or Voice Pulse.

Pinan

join:2000-09-02
Murrieta, CA

Pinan to bv12345

to bv12345
Thanks for the info bv12345. I'm looking into a second number now.

PhonePower
Premium Member
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA

PhonePower to bv12345

Premium Member

to bv12345
We can certainly handle this for you.

I suggest IM'ing me directly and I'll handle it for you. Given that you've been very "nice" about I'll make sure you're well taken care of. Thanks

I will say that LEC outages a super duper low frequency events. But nothing in this world is 100%.
said by bv12345 :

Pinan... I was just thinking about this and something came to mind. With my previous VOIP provider, I had my regular number ported to them, which I have had for 35 years. Later I added a number, I think they called it a virtual number... but anyhow, it is where you have 2 phone numbers both on the same line with a distinctive ring.

Well, my previous provider never outright admitted this, but I found out through several good sources that they did not pay their bill with one of their CLECS, so I too had the same situation as you. I could make outgoing calls, but I could not receive calls. It was bad situation because my service was out for several days.

I come to find out that my other number, which I rarely used, just for faxes, rang and received a fax. It turned out that number was still working because it was a different CLEC.

What I am thinking here is this... maybe you could ask PP for a second number on a different CLEC. The downside is someone will have to call a different number if this type of situation occurs again. But the upside is that you will be able to receive calls. I would say the chances of 2 CLECS both going down at once is very high odds.

I do not think there is anything 100% fool proof. Even 911 has gone down and they have lots of backups in place.

topgun

topgun

Sure there is death and taxes Ye must be slippin PhonePower