how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bd23

join:2005-08-12
Independence, MO

[Equipment] Best modem to buy

I am going to be ordering Clear soon and was wondering what is the best modem. I understand the technical differences between them, but does anyone know if:
- One is more reliable?
- One gets more firmware updates?
- Any have NAT problems with VOIP?

And most importantly
- One get a better signal then the others?

Thanks

MrJR

join:2011-07-03
Milton, FL
Well there's lots of devices that you can use with them. It depends on what you need it for and you weren't very clear (no pun intended). So I'll just assume that you're talking about pairing up a home/desk modem with existing VoIP service & equipment for now. The 2 modems that are considered 2nd-generation are the M Series & the G Series modems. The original home modem (Motorola i150) has a directional antenna (at end opposite the cables). The 2nd generation ones are omni-directional (antennas facing multiple directions) and have external factory reset buttons (handy in case the modem freezes up or the customizable settings need reset). They're pretty close otherwise so the final recommendation might be to ask the Company-owned stores in your area which modem is more commonly sold in that area. I think it would be the M Series for the St. Louis area. Good luck.

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to bd23
Good luck with voip handling the latency and jitter on Clear network.

kram1984j

join:2009-12-06
reply to bd23
The G series is easier to attach an external antenna if need be (you can use a standard U.FL connector). The M Series has a strange connector type.

veryfunny

@comcast.net
reply to bd23
Avoid the WiMax RSU (Moto-i150) and WiFi RSU. The former is failure prone and the latter has issues with devices that don't fully support WPA2 encryption as well as quite a few units being shipped where the WiFi didn't work correctly (i.e. not at all, laptop within five feet and signal strength 20%, or refuses to allow ANY devices to connect to it).

HINT HINT: There's a reason you can snag both of those modems for relative peanuts!

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
the new modems with a builtin router work GREAT! i've had one for 2 months (going on 3) and NEVER a problem. Works better than my old Belkin POS from Best Buy.

veryfunny7

join:2011-07-04
Detroit, MI
Then to be blunt, count yourself lucky.