All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
kylez
join:2009-03-26

kylez to Zac

to Zac

Re: TELUS raises caps on all plans, upstream on Turbo 25

Looks like it's worse if anything... They've increased the BW but from what I'm reading you don't have 'Server Hosting Privledges' if you're not paying atleast $96.65 per month per workstation?! It also looks like the previous existing SLA was removed.

This is just bad.

Zac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB

Zac

Premium Member

said by kylez:

Looks like it's worse if anything... They've increased the BW but from what I'm reading you don't have 'Server Hosting Privledges' if you're not paying atleast $96.65 per month per workstation?! It also looks like the previous existing SLA was removed.

This is just bad.

Its not per workstation, that's per ADSL Line. I have 4 computers, 2 PS3s, an Xbox 360, and a whole bunch of other peripherals/wifi enabled things behind my network. You also do have Server Hosting Privledges for both the $96 and $166 server plans.

I've been on the server plan for about 4, maybe 5 years now, even back when I was on a residential line... But over a year ago, they contacted me and told me it was no longer allowed, so I had to swap one of our phonelines to a business contract, works good actually, only $35 a month with 3 features, plus $0.03 or $0.04 per minute anywhere in north america.
Server plan was originally $96 + $15 extra for the 15mbit speeds after I swapped it over (previously 3mbit/1mbit), but now the price has dropped and I'm only being charged $85 a month for my Server connection, which is what I've been paying for the past 5 years, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Full Server Hosting Privileges, 15mbit/1mbit speeds, now 200gb worth of bandwidth, short of more speed/VDSL2+, I couldn't really ask for more.

I don't see the point in the $166 plan, the only difference between the 2 plans now is 2 static ips vs 5, more dialup hours, and more email accounts... definitely not worth the 70 extra, lol...

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by Zac:

Full Server Hosting Privileges, 15mbit/1mbit speeds, now 200gb worth of bandwidth, short of more speed/VDSL2+, I couldn't really ask for more.

Needs to be more like the Shaw Business Services. Shaw has a plan for $100/mo with 500GB, 50Mbps downstream and 5Mbps upstream.

Zac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB

Zac

Premium Member

said by pfak:

said by Zac:

Needs to be more like the Shaw Business Services. Shaw has a plan for $100/mo with 500GB, 50Mbps downstream and 5Mbps upstream.

Sure, when VDSL2+ is more widespread, but until then demanding faster speeds and even higher caps wouldn't do me any good at all, so its something I won't care about until VDSL is available in smaller towns across AB/BC. Have Telus upgrade Hanna and I'll be fighting for faster speeds and more bandwidth too, but 15/1mbit and 200GB is plenty for me at the present time.

If you do a direct comparison strictly of Speed/Bandwidth, Telus is already competing not too far behind Shaw. Though its not quite as fair comparison if you do it based strictly on price.

Telus FlexConnect/Office: 15/1, 70GB 2 Dynamic, $54.95/$76.68
Shaw Business Starter, 7.5mbit/512kbit, 125GB, $56
Telus Wins this round for speed on both the FlexConnect and Office, granted smaller cap.

Telus Server, 15/1, 200GB, 2 Static, $96
Shaw Business 25, 25/2.5, 250GB, 1 Dynamic IP? $79
(You may purchase a single static IP for an additional $9.95 a month from Shaw, ending up only $5 cheaper than Telus, granted they do have 50 more GB, and 10mbit faster download/1.5mbit faster upload.)
Shaw wins this round for speed, but you end up paying an extra $10 for Static IP, so you might as well end up paying yet another $10 to get the next tier 50mbit service.

Given those plans above, I'd say Telus is playing pretty fair. Once VDSL2 is more widespread, I'm sure there will be 25mbit+ Server plans just like their High Speed 25. It didn't take Telus too terribly long to release the 15mbit server plans after ADSL2 was deployed.

ShawX
@shawcable.net

ShawX

Anon

With Telus you get 15/1, 200GB and 2 static IP's for $96.

With Shaw you get 50/5, 500GB and 1 Static IP for $99.

Any business who cares about their internet would also largely care about the upstream. My business only went to the 50mbps plan for the 5mbps up. If we need more static IP's we have a good reason and $10 is a drop in the bucket.

E3200CA
@shawcable.net

E3200CA to Zac

Anon

to Zac
Adding $10 on to the Shaw Business 25 is still only at $89. You get more speed down, more speed up (business' care!!!) and 50GB more bandwidth.