spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mudturtle74

join:2007-06-29
Killen, AL

[DIRECTV] What distance will R.F. remote work?

I plan on upgrading to HD DVR with 2nd. HD receiver in the bedroom soon. My present system is SD with two receivers. I have a splitter off the bedroom receiver and feeding out to my garage so I can watch TV there, but don't have a remote for that feed. I was wondering if I bought a second R.F. remote, would it work at a distance of about 100' from the garage to the house. On second thought, does the HD receiver even have an output to RG-6 coax cable now? Garage TV will be an old standard analog TV.

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

I have 2 HR22's and 2 H24's and they do not have coax out for TV.

mudturtle74

Killen, AL

Yes, you are right. After researching it further, I can't do this with an HD receiver. Receivers now don't have R.F. out to TV other than the SD receivers. Thanks for your reply, but I guess I answered my own question. If I want DirecTV in the garage, I will probably have to buy an extra receiver for it. Damnit! Guess I will have to use an OTA antenna for it.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1
reply to mudturtle74

The HD receivers Can be used with RF (remote), I have a H20 I use and feed 4 other TV's off that receiver(true) there is no rg6 output for the Signal-SO you get a RF modulator and connect Y(Video)R&W Audio From the HD receiver to the modulator Then attach a rg6(Feeding the Garage) to that and feed The TV(sd) signal)

Example My H20 Modulator feeds (pip) on my Flat TV's and one tube TV in my Garage And MY D* remote Changes Channels from my Garage also 100” from the house , It is only SD signal if you wish to have HD in your Garage then you will need a HD receiver.
I keep another RF remote to When I need to change the channel on (pip) I use it anywhere within the house.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to mudturtle74

Just to add...

all the outputs are active (HDMI, component, composite) at the same time. So you can feed 1 TV and run 2nd lines to another (assuming you're okay watching the same channel). Like westdc said, you could get a RF modulator and then convert/run a RG6 line to your garage.
--
Certified Jenius!

mudturtle74

Killen, AL
reply to westdc

Thanks westdc, you have solved my problem. I only use the garage TV occasionally, but would like to have it there, but didn't want to add another receiver in the garage. (another $6 monthly) So, you think a R.F. remote will work at a distance of 100 feet? (through one outside brick wall) That would be great if it will work. RF modulators don't cost all that much. I think an extra remote will be about $25. This should work for my purpose, only need SD video for the garage, using analog TV. Gotta upgrade my man cave a little here. I can feed this from the bedroom receiver and not have much of a conflict with the main receiver in the living room, which I am doing this now. Just don't have a remote for it now.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

If you upgrade your bed room to HD it will come with a D* remote -That is what I'm using with my H20 is in the Basement (below Ground) and it works from my garage.

When you call D* tell them you need a Receiver that does RF Most do but at least they will note the work order-Good luck and hope you get it working.

mudturtle74

Killen, AL

1 edit
reply to mudturtle74

Okay guys, I have the upgrade completed with a HR21 receiver in the bedroom. It came with an IR remote. I see in setup, you can select either the IR remote or the RF remote. Now, my question is this....if I buy an extra RF remote for the garage, will the IR remote still work in the bedroom with the receiver set to RF remote? In other words, will both remotes work in the RF remote setup mode?

Edit: I discovered that I had the RC65RX remote in the living room (RF remote) so I swapped it with the one in the bedroom. I had an older IR remote but it does not work when the bedroom receiver is in RF mode. So, I guess I will have to buy another RF remote for this to work and have one in the bedroom and the garage.