uniqs

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

Re: Boosting municipal water pressure.

Only standard they offer is the minimum required levels of cleaning of the water and mineral / toxin levels that the state requires them to maintain. No offers or guarantees about minimum pressure or gpm. Im basically getting a "well thats just the way it has been and is" type answer from anyone that listens.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

ask the water company to do a valve check. Might be they forgot to open something up.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to Killa200

Premium Member

to Killa200
said by Killa200:

Only standard they offer is the minimum required levels of cleaning of the water and mineral / toxin levels that the state requires them to maintain. No offers or guarantees about minimum pressure or gpm. Im basically getting a "well thats just the way it has been and is" type answer from anyone that listens.

I'd check your state regulations and/or AWWA Waterworks Standards. There is a minimum PSI in the WS, at least.

In California, CCR, Title 22, there is a minimum PSI.
quote:
§64602. Minimum Pressure.
(a) Each distribution system shall be operated in a manner to assure that the minimum operating pressure in the water main at the user service line connection throughout the distribution system is not less than 20 pounds per square inch at all times.

(b) Each new distribution system that expands the existing system service connections by more than 20 percent or that may otherwise adversely affect the distribution system pressure shall be designed to provide a minimum operating pressure throughout the new distribution system of not less than 40 pounds per square inch at all times excluding fire flow.
Also: »www.awwa.org/files/Partn ··· view.pdf

Are you on true city water or on a mutual small water system?

Killa200
Premium Member
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

said by Gbcue:

Are you on true city water or on a mutual small water system?

True city water, provided by and paid to the city that i am just outside the city limits of. They elected to put in a pump station within city limits at the foot of the hill and pump water up to our subdivision.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

Oh, so you're at the top of a hill. Note, if you do put a booster pump, the city will require you to put a backflow prevention device on your line to their main and have it tested annually.

Killa200
Premium Member
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

said by Gbcue:

Oh, so you're at the top of a hill. Note, if you do put a booster pump, the city will require you to put a backflow prevention device on your line to their main and have it tested annually.

Thought I mentioned that earlier, perhaps it escaped my mind while I was rambling, lol. Backflow prevention device is no biggie, and really occurred to me as being a mandatory item since I was boosting local pressure of the house so that it wouldn't bleed back into their system. Having it tested yearly I didn't think about, nor do i figure they will as well considering the size and competence of this town.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Gbcue

Premium Member

to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

In most cities backflow preventers that are 1" or less are exempt from the annual inspections. Maybe in nanny states like California and New York they have to be inspected but they haven't had to be any place I've ever had them (for lawn irrigation systems)!
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Killa200

Premium Member

to Killa200
Check valve (aka backflow preventer) is actually a necessary item when installing a pressure pump system.

Most jet/pressure pumps do not have a check valve built-in, one must be installed externally.

Without it, the pump will continually short-cycle on and off.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I just use a check valve before the pump on one of my storage tanks. A backflow preventer is entirely different and MUCH more expensive. Not sure what would be required by code to boost city pressure, however the Grundfos pump I linked to earlier has one built in and does not need an external one.