how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kamaki

join:2004-02-23
Napa, CA

Adding 2nd computer

I now have ATT uverse internet. It has a gigabit router that goes through the house electrical wiring somehow. It works great,no trouble. I want to add another computer located in the same room as the
online computer. The tech put a cable from the router to the off line computer,but did not put it online,as I did not want it to have access to the internet at that time. Now I want to put the compter online ,but how do I do it? the Gigbit router has the lights on as does the card in the computer. Thanks

Kamaki

Napa, CA

Oh well,thanks anyway,guess it cannot be done.

dustman81

join:2002-05-28
Tallmadge, OH
reply to Kamaki

Just remove the network cable from the computer you don't want on the Internet and move it to the PC that you do want on the Internet.

GNH
tolle causam
Premium
join:1999-12-20
Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T U-Verse

4 edits
reply to Kamaki

If I understand, you now want both computers to access the Internet... from what sounds like a powerline Ethernet adapter. Similar device at link below.

»amzn.com/B00008I9KJ

If that is the case, I would purchase a switch (»goo.gl/GcCY9) and another Ethernet cable {that is if you don't have another patch Ethernet cable}. Then I would plug the cable that is currently plugged into the "online" computer {coming from the AC link} into the switch. Use the other available ports on the switch to plug in both of your computers.

[edit] If the Gigabit switch is in the same room as the two computers you want to use, then plug the two computers into the Gigabit switch. No need to buy another switch.

[edit] More I re-read about your setup, it sounds like the Gateway is feeding the Gigabit switch via the AC powerlink, so as mentioned, just plug both computers into open ports on the Gigabit switch. After you plug the two computers into the switch, power them up, and the Gateway should make the Internet available on both of those computers.

Clear as mud?

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA
reply to Kamaki

said by Kamaki:

I now have ATT uverse internet. It has a gigabit router that goes through the house electrical wiring somehow. It works great,no trouble. I want to add another computer located in the same room as the
online computer. The tech put a cable from the router to the off line computer,but did not put it online,as I did not want it to have access to the internet at that time. Now I want to put the compter online ,but how do I do it? the Gigbit router has the lights on as does the card in the computer. Thanks

said by Kamaki:

Oh well,thanks anyway,guess it cannot be done.

12 hours overnight is not adequate time to get a response. Don't give up so quickly. That said, note the bolded section above, we can't guess what you have. If you were to say I have a cable running from my PC into an XYZ model 111, we might be able to help. Details and/or pictures please, we aren't mind readers. It is most assuredly doable, but we have to know what we are dealing with.

Kamaki

Napa, CA

Sorry,I will describe my set up better.
I have a3800HGV-B modem that has a cable going to a small device that is plugged into the AC socket
In the computer room, there is another small device plugged into an AC socket,that has a cable running from it to a Netgear GS108 device.
From the NetGear box,there is a cable running from one of its' ports to my computer(Win 7) that works great.
The NetGear also has a cable plugged into a port running to my other computer(Win XP), that cannot get to the internet.
The lights are lit up,but when I click on the web browser IE6,it won't access the internet.

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA

OK, first on the XP machine do start>run>cmd
You will get a command (DOS) window.
type in ipconfig /all
We need to see:
DHCP Enabled
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS Servers

On the Win 7 machine
All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt
run ipconfig /all and post the same information. This will give us a starting point.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to Kamaki

said by Kamaki:

Sorry,I will describe my set up better.
I have a3800HGV-B modem that has a cable going to a small device that is plugged into the AC socket
In the computer room, there is another small device plugged into an AC socket,that has a cable running from it to a Netgear GS108 device.
From the NetGear box,there is a cable running from one of its' ports to my computer(Win 7) that works great.
The NetGear also has a cable plugged into a port running to my other computer(Win XP), that cannot get to the internet.
The lights are lit up,but when I click on the web browser IE6,it won't access the internet.

Okay, the Win XP Computer sounds a little old and not up to date, IE9 is now available. Turn it off, it sounds like the Data Cable is connected you have lights. Turn it back on, give it time to Boot up properly and then check the lower right corner and let us know if you have any Icons with a red X. If you don't run IE again and see if you have Internet. If you do have a red X, you can check Device Manager and uninstall and install your Ethernet Hardware.

COMMAN
Plug Me In

join:2000-07-17
Mount Juliet, TN

I'd definitely recommend updating from IE6, but IE9 is not available for Win XP - the best the OP can get is IE8. That being said, updating the browser is not going to change the connectivity of the computer. ipconfig and the settings in the network connections section of control panel are what we need to be looking at here - stormbow's advice is a good starting point.
--
Broadcasting TO the people, FOR the people, BY the people - INTERNET RADIO!

Kamaki

Napa, CA
reply to stormbow

Thanks ,Stormbow and others for the help. I finally got the computer on line.