spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bhughes3
@bankofamerica.com

bhughes3

Anon

[TiVo] TiVo Premiere Q

I read on Engadget this morning that RCN will be getting the TiVo Premiere Q - a quad tuner TiVo model - in the near future. Any idea of a timeline for this? It seems like everything takes ages to happen with RCN...so I feel like I shouldn't hold my breath, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask...

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
join:2003-05-02
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

Really? Ages to Happen? Perhaps your not aware of how aggressive we launched TiVo from the time the announcement was made to less then 9 months to launch. I can assure you these new boxes will not take ages to happen. I've already got some running in the lab. And they are AWESOME.
rcnman

rcnman

Premium Member

»www.engadget.com/2011/06 ··· r-optio/

»www.multichannel.com/art ··· able.php

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost

Does the non-DVR TiVo Preview have its own tuner, or does it rely on the host box for all programming? And will the Preview work with the 2-tuner Premiere?

The Preview sounds like it would be the perfect box for the bedroom TV. I don't really need a dedicated DVR on that TV, but it would be nice to have access to programs residing on the living room TiVo.

rob18
@ptd.net

rob18 to rcnman

Anon

to rcnman
Would it be correct to assume that existing RCN Tivo users could swap out their boxes and switch to the Quad Tuner version with "Preview" boxes?
Clarkworld
join:2011-01-18
Chicago, IL

Clarkworld

my question exactly, I wonder what the price difference will be?

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman to machpost

Premium Member

to machpost
The Preview does have it's own Tuner

And Via MOCA it can Stream content from the Host DVR.
rcnman

rcnman to Clarkworld

Premium Member

to Clarkworld
I'll Be honest, we haven't figured out price yet, on either.
Clarkworld
Chicago, IL

Clarkworld to rcnman

to rcnman
That is awesome, exactly what I need!

Can't wait for dates and pricing.

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost to rcnman

to rcnman
said by rcnman:

The Preview does have it's own Tuner

And Via MOCA it can Stream content from the Host DVR.

Sounds perfect for my needs. Let us know if you need beta testers
Clarkworld
Chicago, IL

Clarkworld

ditto on that, I would test one for sure
rdonchez
join:2010-07-17
Bethlehem, PA

rdonchez to bhughes3

to bhughes3
Also would love to beta test if needed.

bhughes3
@bankofamerica.com

bhughes3 to rcnman

Anon

to rcnman
Ha fair enough...I guess I was speaking more about software updates...still waiting to be able to use my iPad as a remote (which I assume should be coming in the coming weeks)...RCN has been a leading cable company when it comes to getting out the newest TiVo hardware - they had the Premiere shortly after it came to retail, so I guess we should expect the same with this one?

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy to bhughes3

to bhughes3
Premiere Q sounds awesome...love the quad tuner...will they have the same hard drive capabilities?...my only question is, the regular Premiere boxes currently being used only recently received official HDUI support and other user functionality and enhancements...will the Premier Q take as long to become fully featured and stable (over 1 year)?...or are these new boxes much better right out of the box

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

It's got a larger drive, 500GB The box is bad-a$$... And it's a integrated MOCA Bridge.

TitusTroy
New York, NY

TitusTroy

500GB is nice...I thought 320GB on the current Premiere's was a nice step up from the previous Motorola 160GB drives...with 500GB an external drive might not even be necessary anymore

does the MOCA bridge mean that it won't require a separate wired or wireless internet connection?

nsfw
@rcn.com

nsfw

Anon

Please tell me they improved on the Broadcom 400mhz dual core and 512MB of RAM? Isn't the whole problem with the Premiere and the HDUI and underpowered box for Flash?
davezatz
join:2009-02-20
Herndon, VA

davezatz to rcnman

to rcnman
said by rcnman:

I can assure you these new boxes will not take ages to happen. I've already got some running in the lab. And they are AWESOME.

How about a tour of the lab? I'm just a couple miles away... Let's work it out with your marketing group.
nowayout
join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

nowayout to rcnman

to rcnman
Yes, how's the performance on this bad boy compared to the current Premiere? About the same, better?
omghi2u
join:2001-02-05

omghi2u to bhughes3

to bhughes3
Will there be any copy protection issues? Right now I record on my living room DVR but cannot transfer some recordings due to this. I am assuming since it will be streaming and not copying, it shouldn't be an issue?

Tivoer
@rcn.com

Tivoer to rcnman

Anon

to rcnman
I really like the new tivos do you think I could do a switch to the new boxes when available, or will they save them for new subscribers.

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium Member
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA

shadyman777

Premium Member

said by Tivoer :

I really like the new tivos do you think I could do a switch to the new boxes when available, or will they save them for new subscribers.

I was wondering the same question.... when the new Q comes out.... I want and I want it badly. I'm in love with my current TiVo, but the Q looks badass.
Kanly
join:2001-02-25
Washington, DC

Kanly to bhughes3

to bhughes3
Will there be field trials for this version?

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman to nsfw

Premium Member

to nsfw
I believe it's more the version of flash versus the processor / memory.
sbiller1
join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

sbiller1

Jason, is there a plan to upgrade the Flash version on all of the Premiere boxes?

CBL B0X
@tmodns.net

CBL B0X to bhughes3

Anon

to bhughes3
Do the TiVo Premieres support MOCA right now? If not, will they support the multiroom DVR capabilities that the Q has or just box to box transfers? Also can it stream to the Preview as well.
Thanks

TitusTroy
New York, NY

TitusTroy to bhughes3

to bhughes3
will RCN discontinue the current TiVo Premiere boxes when the Q is released?...doesn't make sense to have both versions...hopefully all current Premiere owners will get a free upgrade
TitusTroy

1 edit

TitusTroy to bhughes3

to bhughes3
I gotta admit I was all set to go with FIOS when it becomes available in my area in September but now I'm actually considering staying with RCN...RCN has given me a reason to pause and look at all that they have to offer...the fact that RCN is the only cable provider to go all in with TiVo (meaning the complete user interface and VOD) really helps to differentiate it from the competition

HD channels etc are pretty much equal across most of the top cable providers nowadays so it's good that RCN sees the value in promotiong other aspects of their service...teaming with TiVo has been the best move RCN has ever done
mets18
join:2008-10-15
Cranford, NJ

mets18

said by TitusTroy:

HD channels etc are pretty much equal across most of the top cable providers nowadays

I would agree about TIVO but TWC has significantly more HD channels than RCN. About 40 last count.
BackStJoe
join:2009-08-17
New York, NY

BackStJoe to bhughes3

to bhughes3
The only downside to this is having to clear the current TiVo box to make room for the new one!

Great news that RCN is already looking into the new box.