uniqs
share rss forum feed

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

1 edit

USPS Lost package no insurance, priority mail

I bought a fuel pump on Ebay, and the seller shipped it on June 8th via USPS Priority from Michigan to CA, and the delivery conformation still says Electronic Info recieved. The seller said they handed the package over to USPS, and I called and they will start an investigation. My question is: If I do not have insurance on the package, does USPS still pay for the contents(because they failed to do what they were paid to do)? The buyer never offered insurance.

tracking number is: 9101785091401086996024

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW

1 recommendation

if there is no insurance, you get nothing!

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium
join:2011-06-11
reply to billydunwood
Even with Priority Mail you're freaking out just a wee bit prematurely are you not? Give it a couple or three more days.
--
You Can't Kill Rock 'n' Roll!

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to billydunwood
If it's ebay then it's the seller's problem.

billydunwood

united state
reply to OZZY7
said by OZZY7:

Even with Priority Mail you're freaking out just a wee bit prematurely are you not? Give it a couple or three more days.

I'm not freaking out, just asking a question in case something happens.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
Relax. You'll get it. Probably today or tomorrow.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to billydunwood
USPS would not owe you anything and the seller owes you nothing unless you can prove he never sent it. If it is worth anything then you should have insisted on paying for insurance - it is not up to the seller to provide you insurance on your package.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
reply to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

My question is: If I do not have insurance on the package, does USPS still pay for the contents(because they failed to do what they were paid to do)?

Unlikely. The seller could probably get their shipping fee refunded. Insurance in general (car, rental, homeowners, travel, etc) doesn't pay anything unless you had it at the time of loss.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

My question is: If I do not have insurance on the package, does USPS still pay for the contents(because they failed to do what they were paid to do)? The buyer never offered insurance.

It's not your problem. If the seller has an issue, eBay will tell him "show us proof of delivery" and can't and they won't make you pay.

More importantly, it is NOT the buyer's responsibility to pay for insurance.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

...the seller owes you nothing unless you can prove he never sent it. If it is worth anything then you should have insisted on paying for insurance - it is not up to the seller to provide you insurance on your package.

You are incorrect. A buyer can't force or add insurance to a transaction and besides, and I just stated this above, it is not the buyer's responsibility.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to billydunwood
it is now up to the seller to put insurance on packages if they dont want to take a risk. To put it bluntly, the seller is responsible for the package until it gets to your door.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to billydunwood
Since you bought the item on eBay, and I'm assuming you paid via PayPal, both eBay and PayPal offer protection remedies. You can only pick one or the other though. However, as was said, I would wait a few days, and you will probably get it.
--
If you need a re-format, just ask and I'll do it. If you don't need one, just give me 5 minutes with your computer, and you will.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Hall
Sure a buyer can and a seller should be happy to add it on to the price and provide the proof they got it (there is a receipt).

A buyer can be interested in a auction and ask - before bidding - that they want insurance added if they win and the seller can accept it to say no. Buy buyer is buying - they can certainly ask for protection for themselves.

If there was something I wanted from eBay and it had some sort of value then I would insist upon it and any seller that does not want to set it up - fine - they get no business form me. But then - it is eBay - they would not get my business unless it was something not worth worrying about.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

billydunwood

united state
reply to billydunwood
It was a fuel pump for our car, from a high rated seller. What's weird is the USPS has delivered every single one of my priority mail packages this year within 2 days, even some overnight, except for this one, but its ok. They will figure out where it is, and if not its glad to know I have recourse.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to billydunwood
Ok.

The seller is liable.

The seller is required to get the goods to the buyer in the condition offered for auction.

In short: Insurance protects THE SELLER not the buyer. So if the item never arrives, is lost or destroyed, the seller must replace it or refund your money.

This is all in the ebay rules. However there is a catch: The time to file a dispute/item not recieved etc does expire. If you wait too long, you can't do anything about it. USPS won't pay anything to anyone, no insurance. However the seller is still supposed to make it right for you.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

USPS would not owe you anything and the seller owes you nothing unless you can prove he never sent it. If it is worth anything then you should have insisted on paying for insurance - it is not up to the seller to provide you insurance on your package.

Not true. The seller is required to get the item to you in the condition described in the auction. If it is lost and never arrives, the seller must replace or refund. Insurance protects the SELLER not the buyer.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA
kudos:1
reply to billydunwood
"Processed through Sort Facility, June 14, 2011, 12:18 am, OPA LOCKA, FL 33054"

Looks like your seller never really dropped it off when they said they did. "Electrionic info received" just means that they paid postage and got a tracking number which can all be done online. It also looks like seller may have drop shipped item from FL which might also explain the delay.
--
Mission Accomplished

billydunwood

united state
said by sonofjay:

"Processed through Sort Facility, June 14, 2011, 12:18 am, OPA LOCKA, FL 33054"

Looks like your seller never really dropped it off when they said they did. "Electrionic info received" just means that they paid postage and got a tracking number which can all be done online. It also looks like seller may have drop shipped item from FL which might also explain the delay.

Thanks for the info. I think the seller might have drop shipped, because they are located in Michigan(not NJ like I said before), yet the item went through FL? I dont think the USPS would do that.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Electronic info received just means they printed a shipping label. since its been processed thru sort facility means the package is moving.
--
| map your city |

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

1 recommendation

reply to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

if there is no insurance, you get nothing!

THE BEST

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

2 edits
reply to billydunwood
billy... chill... your fuel pump is still coming.

In the very unlikely event that the fuel pump never arrives and Delivery Confirmation still only says, "Electronic Info received," you will notify your seller and he will most likely agree and reship the pump (if he has more than one) or refund your money (if he doesn't). In the very unlikely event THAT doesn't work out, either, you file an Item Not Received claim with Paypal within 45 days of auction close and they will most likely refund your money.

Paypal and eBay hold the seller responsible for delivery. Seller can add insurance costs to shipping costs or starting bid to force buyer to pay for it, but it's seller's responsibility to actually pay for insurance if he wants it. On an Item Not Received claim, Paypal just looks at the Delivery Confirmation to rule on Item Not Received claims. If it says the widget was delivered to seller's zip code, seller wins. If not, buyer wins.

You can get burned on eBay this way if Delivery Confirmation says you got the item, but you really didn't. Then you're out the cost of the item. It's rare, but it happens. Shipping insurance may not back you up in that event anyway. Frankly, shipping insurance often doesn't pay off even legitimate claims. They almost never pay off marginal ones.

CylonRed and Harddrive posted incorrect information as far as eBay auctions are concerned. eBay/Paypal procedures take precedence in resolving their disputes internally. What Hall and Krk posted is correct as far as Paypal is concerned.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to billydunwood
Sorry, but I'm going to whine about two things without answering the question.

USPS tracking is mostly worthless. I've had packages arrive when the online tracking still said nothing except "electronic info received".

Insurance and warranties are scams too. That's why the companies that offer them are in businesses. You're likely to lose money in the long run. If you pay for insurance on 20 packages and something happens to one of them, you probably still lose overall.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

Well then that's why you ship UPS whose packages automatically come with a $100 insurance. They're slower and bang your packages around, though.

I still prefer FedEx > USPS > kicking it to the destination by foot > UPS.
--
My Blog 2.2

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to runnoft
I agree that the Post Office's "tracking" is the worst by far of them all.

Let me tell you a story about an incident I had.

I had one of those "Delivery Attempt missed" notifications on my door. When I took the note to the post office they couldn't find it. "Confirmation" shows the item as delivered but all I had was the sticky on the door. They never delivered the item, and it was never located. It was a small cost item. (DVD) I didn't dispute it with the seller, because I knew it wasn't their fault the post office screwed up.

About a year later I read an article in the paper. The Feds had broken up a mail theft ring inside the Post Office. They had arrested a number of postal employees for theft of mail, not the actual route carriers but people in the post offices. They recovered a fair amount of stolen items. 2 of the suspects arrested worked out of my post office location. The article said the items that were recovered were small electronic items, DVD's, CD's, video games etc. So there you go. Route carrier returned it to the post office and then most likely these thugs lifted it. So, yeah, it can happen.
--

uspsproblems

@mccarran.com
reply to M A R S
Instead of asking people here who have absolutely no clue about what they are talking about why don't you call the USPS and ask them? You noticed how many different answers you have got so far!

billydunwood

united state

1 edit
said by uspsproblems :

Instead of asking people here who have absolutely no clue about what they are talking about why don't you call the USPS and ask them? You noticed how many different answers you have got so far!

No clue what their talking about Mr. Anonymous? If you read my entire post, u would see I indeed called the usps and their investigating.

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

1 recommendation

reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Clearly you do not understand how eBay works.
A buyer never has to prove anything. The seller is always held accountable for insuring that his buyers get what they bought. The seller has to prove delivery by providing delivery confirmation.
A seller can and should protect himself by placing the proper amount of insurance on items and shipping via a method that provides delivery confirmation.
As far as eBay and Paypal are concerned according to the rules they have put into effect, as a seller you are entirely responsible for each and every item sold until you have receipt that the buyer has recieved it. SO if you do not want to lose out on the gadget you just sold you will insure it for your own protection, not the buyers.

The buyer does not have to prove that a seller never actually shipped an item. Think about it. How could they? How could you prove conclusively that someone across the country did not actually ship an item when they said they did. What piece of evidence could you come up with to substantiate your claim that the seller never actually shipped? All you can really say is "I never got it" and the seller says "I shipped it"
In that scenario each party is set up to fail in a "I say-they say" situation that can never be conclusively settled.

When you stop and really examine eBay's rules you will see that alot of time and thinking went into them. A structure is in place that demands accountability from both parties, albeit heavily weighted on the seller, so that the entire process can be conducted without incident.

eBay is set up to favor and protect the buyer with good reason. Without buyers, eBay collapses. If sellers were allowed to operate in a manner that allows them to use shady practices, eventually people would not buy from the site. If nobody buys from the site then eBay collects no transaction fees and becomes known as a den of theives. With no transaction fees or sellers fees being collected, there is no eBay.

videonex

join:2001-07-22
reply to billydunwood
Looks like your carrier has it for you today!

Label/Receipt Number: 9101 7850 9140 1086 9960 24
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

All sorting has been completed at the delivery unit for today's deliveries at 8:30 am on June 15, 2011 in LOS ANGELES, CA 90066.

Detailed Results:

Sorting Complete, June 15, 2011, 8:30 am, LOS ANGELES, CA 90066
Arrival at Post Office, June 15, 2011, 8:06 am, LOS ANGELES, CA 90066
Processed through Sort Facility, June 14, 2011, 12:18 am, OPA LOCKA, FL 33054
Electronic Shipping Info Received, June 08, 2011

billydunwood

united state
said by videonex:

Looks like your carrier has it for you today!

Label/Receipt Number: 9101 7850 9140 1086 9960 24
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

All sorting has been completed at the delivery unit for today's deliveries at 8:30 am on June 15, 2011 in LOS ANGELES, CA 90066.

Detailed Results:

Sorting Complete, June 15, 2011, 8:30 am, LOS ANGELES, CA 90066
Arrival at Post Office, June 15, 2011, 8:06 am, LOS ANGELES, CA 90066
Processed through Sort Facility, June 14, 2011, 12:18 am, OPA LOCKA, FL 33054
Electronic Shipping Info Received, June 08, 2011

Thank you! All in All, I don't know who's fault it is. After I opened up a investigation on the package, it finally started moving. However, the seller might have drop shipped, as the package came from FL when the seller said he is in Michigan. Its coming, so I am happy.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium
join:2011-06-11
said by billydunwood:

All in All, I don't know who's fault it is.

Fault? There is no fault, because nobody did anything wrong. You're getting your pump just like everyone said you would. You just didn't get it in 2 days.
--
You Can't Kill Rock 'n' Roll!