join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

1 recommendation

Ironic....

My speed test is quite the reverse:

I have tried to bring it to the attention of the techs at Surewest to no avail.
--
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!

cyberbeing

join:2005-02-18
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

They don't see it as a priority issue because even though it bursts to ~75Mb/s, it averages to your advertised speed of 25Mb/s (+/- 5Mb/s). It has to do with how and where they limiting the upload speed, so it's just life until they decide to redesign and upgrade their internal network.

I as well hope they fix it eventually, since the heavy-handed upload limiting (i.e. hard-drop overflow packets) is horrible for efficiency and is basically just resulting in heavy packet-loss and re-transmissions on outbound traffic within the Surewest network. Not an issue for Surewest because of the immense surplus of available bandwidth within their fiber network, but it does cause minor issues when uploading to high-speed servers outside the network in terms of re-transmissions.

If we're lucky, it will all get resolved when they upgrade all their 100Mb/s fiber gear to 1Gb/s fiber gear in the future. Still a question of when (or if) Surewest is going to perform such an upgrade anytime soon. Fortunately, in the near-future we may have Comcast getting competitive on price/speed with DOCSIS 3.0 channel bonding, as well as that 1Gb/s Google Fiber project near Surewest's other deployment in Kansas City to hopefully encourage Surewest to quicken adoption of 1Gb/s.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
Elk Grove, CA

1 recommendation

Would it be that they would upgrade from BPON to GPON? If so, is it just one piece of equipment at each node?
--
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!

cyberbeing

join:2005-02-18
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

Surewest doesn't use Passive Optical Network (PON). In Sacramento at least, they use a Direct-Fiber Active Optical Network (aka Active Ethernet), where each customer has a dedicated fiber strand to the CO. In other words, no nodes like PON.

A change to 1Gbps would be done on existing fiber, and would require replacing ONTs on every house, and potentially extremely expensive upgrades/replacements of fiber routers and switches in their CO. The main issue right now appears the be the cost of 1Gbps fiber routers/switches/modules and the more pressing concern of availability of triple-play 1Gbps Active Ethernet ONTs with 1Gbps Ethernet Ports and POTs. Their current vendor for ONTs, Allied Telesis, doesn't make such an ONT yet. The hybrid 700GE-series ONTs from Calix (who is also a vendor for Surewest, but not for ONTs) appears to be the only decent option I've seen. The question then becomes, "Does Surewest have a contract which requires them to buy Allied Telesis ONTs for X years?". If so, that would be the biggest limiting factor in any switch to 1Gbps which could take place.

HDTV IPTV and internet sharing the same 100Mb/s fiber link, is why we are currently limited to an excessively priced 50Mb/s top-tier internet plan. Despite Surewest's CEO saying they would offer 100Mb/s internet if anybody would buy it, they would never do such a thing on their current 100Mb/s fiber, since it would mean loss triple-play revenues. Such a plan would need to cost more than triple-play combined to be economical to Surewest, but nobody except a business would pay such a high price. That said, competition with residential internet plans 50Mb/s and higher may be what ultimately forces Surewest's upgrade, in order to remain competitive. The problem is, as of yet, Comcast hasn't actively attempted to compete on price or speed with Surewest.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
Elk Grove, CA

1 recommendation

Thanks for the insight cyber!

« Contact Surewest to fix your upload speedwow »