spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cybah
join:2000-03-09
MA

cybah

Hmm

Some how I think common sense has eluded this guy because by now if I was that unhappy with the service, I would have cancelled by now and gone with wireless services by now if i had no other choice. No one has this many problems for this long without

What's funny is, at first glance, and the way this guy writes, I almost was tempted to say he's under 18, and hasn't had tech comes because he's not allowed to call (Parents must call). He also doesn't list the price of the services that he pays for, so he may not see a bill. And he references his "Mom" a few times. Then I check out his websites. The main picture on the construction page is a guy in his 40s (FreedomBuild.net is a construction companies website). HMMMM.

My roommate is a Comcast Tech. He's been a tech for 13 years (back when it was MediaOne around here). He says 99% of the issues you describe are related to a leaky 3-way somewhere (a splitter) or a bad connection or bad hardware causing a bad connection. This is because you have issues on the TV side. If this wasn't an issue with wiring, you would not have problems with TV. Its just how it works. Usually the FIRST thing they ask when you call the internet is "Is your cable television working ok". And this is why. Issues with TV = Wiring Problem.

And since you own a Denon Stereo, I can pretty much say that you have a splitter in somewhere that you purchased at BestBuy or something. Why do I say this? Most audio/video enthusiasts would be more apt to do something like that than the regular home user. And honestly, its also best just to leave the ones the Comcast gives you because you need a splitter in the range of 1000mhz or more. Most splitters you can buy retail only do 900mhz. This really can reek havoc anywhere.

I also questions the home wiring it itself. I wonder how long the feeds are to your cable modem, and how many splits there are in that wire to branch out to other TVs. In a ideal setup, your setup should look like this.

[Cable from Street]
[2 way splitter] -> Cable Modem
[3 way splitter] -> TVs in your home

(not sure if that makes since but it should be read down then across. So your cable modem is off the first splitter)

Why is this the best? Because each time there's a break in the coax, you lose a little bit of signal. So the best way to combat this is to run as clear and non-split line from the street to your cable modem. DON'T Branch the cable modem off of ANY branch that is connected to TVs or other A/V equipment. It will just cause problems.

I'm lucky, my roommate has installed TWO drops to our house. One for TVs, the other for the internet. (yeah I'm lucky, its unlikely anyone else would have that configuration). I get optimal signal strength and speed. And no problems.

If you are convinced that it is ISN'T inside wiring. Do this. Take a laptop, your cable modem and take it outside. Disconnect the rest of the house from the feed from the street and connect your cable modem right here. Then run your tests. If you STILL have problems, its their network. Actually considering TV has issues, one could honestly say its the wiring on the pole near your house. Maybe a bad split box on the pole? Bad Coax.

Roommate says Comcast will do whatever it takes to make you happy, and says that you clearly have not had service techs come to your home to resolve this issue because its dragged on so long. You should have received credits for your sucky service, and they should have offered to come rewire your entire home, and bring in a new drop from the street if there's that much issue. Yet there's no posting of this here that this has been done. And I'm starting to think you just want to complain.

I should also note that.. from what I remember InsightBB wasn't exactly a great cable operator to begin with (I had coworkers at a job I was working several years ago lived in Rockford, IL and had Insight and told me how HORRIBLE it was.) Again if Comcast hasn't sunk anything into upgrading the network itself from when InsightBB was there, I doubt service would improve at all just because they were bought out. Also, I'd just wait anyways. My Dad (in NH) HAD Adelphia and it became Comcast (one of the few swapped areas with TWC) and it took 2-3 years to undo the mess Adelphia left. So it may be coming.

Anyhow I'm not trying to attack you on your overly long review, but sheesh no one has this many issues for this long without cancelling. Just cancel if you aren't happy, and go with VZW wireless. And No, just because my roommate works for them doesn't mean I am a cheerleader of Comcast. I just have great service because I LIVE with a tech so I never call support. However, when I lived alone, service was too bad either. (I'm writing a LONG review myself as I've had Comcast/AT&T/MediaOne/ContinetalCable since 1996!)
RokHed
join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ

RokHed

Too funny. Yet you still pay them after all this time. My guess is that your actually a Comcast Fan. Keep the updates coming as reading them all this time makes me smile.

FreedomBuild
Well done is better than well said
Premium Member
join:2004-10-08
Rockford, IL

FreedomBuild to cybah

Premium Member

to cybah
Apparently you hadn't read the full review to grasp the full scope as to exactly WHY I still have commiecast service.

I have had multiple techs out. One tech even bypassed everything from the street to check lines with a laptop. The tech that did it had mixed results too.

I have two drops. One for TV and one for internet. Only splitter I have is a comcast installed one outside.

I don't directly connect to my receiver from a comcast line. Optical out from tv.

InsightBB did have it's growing pangs for awhile and it's share of issues, however in the end, it's service had demonstrated itself to be infinitely more reliable that the 2.5 years Commicast had taken to be somewhat stable after they had taken over. I say somewhat stable because lately they have been more stable than not...after 3 years...

As for possibly a wireless card or another service, I have been testing other possibilities to see if the would actually meet ALL my needs. Commiecast does have the drop on the upload speed and you would know this as to one of the reasons I still have them had you actually read my full review and gotten off your soap box.

cybah
join:2000-03-09
MA

cybah

Hey-

Thanks for replying and not going off. I'll re-neg my comment about being under 18, because this does show that you're an adult by not totally attacking me. Its appreciated.

I guess I must have scanned over the part about the two connections.Its just your post was very long (and my ADDish mind I have), I skipped it. I do apologize. But great, you and I have the same configuration then.

I *AM* trying to help, as i know its frustrating. I'd be pretty upset too if Comcast was all I could get in my area, and it didnt work.

And yeah essentially, Comcast *IS* all I can get in my area, even though I live very close to Boston. Verizon has stuck its middle finger at city hall and we are not getting FiOS (unless you live in the illegally-wired Overlook Ridge Apartments), and VZ is no longer accepting DSL service request orders. VZ is angry at my town because the city tried to force Verizon to shut off half of Overlook Ridge (This is a very large Apartment complex that sits on 2 town lines). This is because in Mass (and with most of New England), your incumbent cable operator is selected by your town, and VZ wired up the revere half of complex without asking the city (Its a BIG no no). So we have orange fibre cables strung all thru town just dangling there. Just a lovely sight.

(and of course I live in the one spot in Revere where I would get horrible service from Sprint/Clear, yet I am 2 mins from US Route 1 (major highway) *grumble*)

But I digress.

If its clearly not the inside wiring, it must be somewhere on your street. The hard part is getting comcast's attention.

Sometimes I forget and I live in a "New England Cable Bliss" bubble. Again not touting Comcast, but thanks to their predecessors, New England has one of the best cable networks in the nation, so I rarely have problems with local service. Most of my issues come from Comcast corporate (Prices, Media Stuff, corporate slimeyness, dns outages, mail outages, etc), and not with the actual local service itself. But In my 10+ years on this board, I've determined that depending on where you live in the US, will predict the type of service you have. I have friends across the US that all have Comcast. Some have good things to say, some have bad things to say. It all depends on where they are. Sadly you're in a crappy area.

My roommate often says New England is its own unique setup for Comcast, since unlike most areas, we still have "Cable Offices" where you can drop/swap/pick up/off equipment, make payments, yell at someone in person. Of course many of these people live right up the street so when you make a complaint its heard, things get fixed quickly. I guess Comcast New England cares. Again I hate Comcast, but as far as the service its actually pretty good

If you were here in New England, I'd say call or visit your local office. But since you're not here, and I doubt the there is a local office since my roommate says most local offices elsewhere are gone now (except New England), I'd then say call your town or your state's PUC (Public Utilities Commission) Or some agency that deals with telecommunications in your town or state and file a complaint (I am sure there is a way to file one).

And of course it if really means that much to you, and you feel you really have been wrong'd, go hire a lawyer. You've well documented your service issues, (this whole threat!) and really just "go there' with an attorney. Sadly, it will take that to get them to listen.

Its just sad because when Comcast does work (as it does well for me here in Mass) Its great and fast.

:-/ I wish you the best of luck.

FreedomBuild
Premium Member
Rockford, IL

1 edit

FreedomBuild

Premium Member

I have concluded it's a regional thing. The data I have here is a small portion of what I have on my drive. The local techs have done a lot around here and in my area, however I believe most of the issues are above them and dictated by corporate and their policies. All Rockford traffic goes through Chicago.

My brother who is in Tinley Park south of Chicago has crap unreliable service too. I've seen it often, heard many grumblings from him, his wife and kids over it.
Benenstein
join:2007-04-29
Bloomington, IL

Benenstein

Comcast contracts are only 24 months...why havent you switched yet? Youve had this review up for 3 years and all your getting is horrible service, your throwing your money down a hole; i could understand if you write this review then switch ISP's, but you havent...if your having this much trouble im pretty sure any other ISP whether it be DSL or Wireless sounds much better....

FreedomBuild
Premium Member
Rockford, IL

FreedomBuild

Premium Member

I have procured wireless arrangements and waiting for the Rockford area to be upgraded to 4g lte later this year. Rest assured if it works as expected. I'm dumping commiecast