Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

Porting a google voice number to Sprint

I currently have a Google Voice number that I picked up during the initial invite days. I just recently moved my cell service from Verizon Wireless to Sprint and ported over my old number. I am now looking to let the current Sprint number go and port over my GV number. However, the rep needs the phone number, account number and password and we have not been able to figure out what the account number is that we need to use.

I have read where other Voip companies have been successful in porting out a GV number but cannot find what info is actually needed.

Thanks

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
I ported a GoogleVoice number to CallCentric.

CallCentric did its usual great job.

As I recall, we just used the GoogleVoice phone number as the GoogleVoice account number as well.

--------------------------

But here is a problem on the GoogleVoice end, that ALWAYS occurs when porting from GoogleVoice, to ANY OTHER PROVIDER.

AFTER the port is done, your GoogleVoice account will stay the same, AND GoogleVoice internal systems will STILL list the phone number as a GoogleVoice number. Thus if someone calls the number (or tries to text) using GoogleVoice, the call or text will NOT reach your new phone.

NOW if this had happened with a port away from (say) Vonage, you could just call Vonage and they would fix it.

But Vonage is run by adults, whereas GoogleVoice is not.

You CANNOT absolutely CANNOT contact anyone at GoogleVoice to fix the problem.

You have to post in a public GoogleVoice forum, and hope that a Google employee sees your forum post, understands, and cares.

There was one Google employee who just did not intellectually grasp the problem.

There was another Google employee---Ilya---who DID help people out, but lately I haven't seen her.

In short:

GoogleVoice does NOT have a mechanism for removing a ported-out number from their internal system afterwards.

Even AFTER the outbound port, GoogleVoice customers calling you will still be connected to the old GoogleVoice account.

Workaround:

1) On your GoogleVoice account, forward the calls to an acceptable destination, so that when GoogleVoice users call you, they'll still reach you.

2) On your GoogleVoice account, in case it goes to voicemail, make a voicemail message giving a different number to call you at.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to ropeguru
Not sure how it works. But doesn't Sprint have some kind of Google voice options. Might do what you need.

Here it is. Option 2 might be what you want unless you truly want a full port.

Under Google Voice Settings.

Option 1: Replace your Google Voice number with your Sprint number
Calls made from Google Voice and Gmail will display your Sprint number. Your Google Voice number will remain on your account for 90 days.
Option 2: Replace your Sprint number with your Google Voice number
Calls made from your Sprint handset will display your Google Voice number.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
Can you point me to a link where you found those two options? Option number two might work, only down side is that it is under a different account login with google than what my email is. I am trying to get my gmail and google voice logins under the same account.

dcurrey
Premium
Mason, OH

2 edits
Its under Google Voice Settings.

I have my Sprint phone number linked in GV so Under settings I see the Sprint logo with the link "Enable Google Voice on your Sprint phone." If you click on that link you will see the two options.

dcurrey
Premium
Mason, OH
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
Looks like this. Hope that helps.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
It does and doesn't. It does as I now have my GV number integrated so that all the calls I make with my Sprint phone show my GV West Virginia caller id.

What it doesn't do is allow me to access my Google email account and my google voice account using the same email address. If I am logged into my email on my computer and want to log into the GV account I have my WV number with, it logs me out of my email.

One of the down sides of Google.

dcurrey
Premium
Mason, OH
Looking around not seeing anyway to change what email a GV account is associated with. Might be out of luck.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
said by dcurrey:

Looking around not seeing anyway to change what email a GV account is associated with. Might be out of luck.

On main GV page, in the northeast corner, look where your e-mail address is listed. Click on that, and pull-down "Account Settings".

Then under Account Settings, go to Change E-mail.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit
Click for full size
Are you talking about adding an alternate email address? I cannot find "Change E-mail" under account settings.

If I try and add the address I want to, I am told that a google account with that email address already exists and cannot be used. Yes, the email address I want to use is hosted with google.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
said by ropeguru:

Are you talking about adding an alternate email address? I cannot find "Change E-mail" under account settings.

Ah, here is the explanation.

On GoogleVoice accounts that are registered to a NON-Google email address, that "Change E-mail" setting appears.

But on GoogleVoice accounts that are registered to a GOOGLE email address, that "Change E-mail" setting does NOT appear.

I just verified this both ways.

Sorry for the confusion.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
No problem at all. I just wish there was a way to move the number to a different account that I own. I found a couple of posts through a google search that pointed to a form for the transfer. But unfortunately the form and transfer have been retired.

I am not giving up though.

josephf

join:2009-04-26
That form was retired in the past few days. The message says they plan to add the ability to transfer it soon (whatever that means).