Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

Kindle - email and PDFs

Not sure where to really ask this question, so bear with me! This may belong in Software, and moderators can move if they see fit...

Kindle allows you to email .pdf files to it. Works great. Until I decided to email PDF files from the government... Here is the email I got back:
The following document, sent at 03:12 AM on Wed, Jun 15, 2011 GMT could not be delivered to the Kindle you specified:
* dl603.pdf

The Kindle Personal Document Service can convert and deliver the following types of documents:
Microsoft Word (.doc)
Rich Text Format (.rtf)
HTML (.htm, .html)
Text (.txt) documents
Archived documents (zip , x-zip) and compressed archived documents
Mobi book

Images that are of type JPEGs (.jpg), GIFs (.gif), Bitmaps (.bmp), and PNG images (.png).

**Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents are delivered without conversion to Kindle DX, Second Generation and Latest Generation Kindles.**

If the document that failed belonged to one of the above document types, please ensure the document is not password protected or encrypted. Note that the Latest Generation Kindles support password protected PDFs.

_________

OK, it is a PDF file and this is the latest (3rd) generation kindle - see the starred ** line. The file does not appear to be encrypted or password protected - although I am not sure exactly how I test that. I double-click the file and Acrobat Reader opens it without asking for a password.

Now I opened it with Acrobat Reader and copied it to a new file and tried to resend it -- and got the same email back.

My question is: Should I or can I use a third party program to process this PDF file, and then would it be accepted by Kindle?

Has anyone ever had this problem, or am I the first??
Thanks for any advice.

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN
You should be able to use the Calibre Ebook management system (free) to convert the PDF to a .mobi file and then transfer it to your Kindle.

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

3 edits
Thanks! I will look into that.

I did open the files (2) with a third party program and re-saved them. I then re-emailed them and it worked! I used PDF X-Change viewer (free).

Do you know how the Author field gets created on the Kindle? It seems that the "title" field is created by simply the Name of the file -- whatever exists before the ".pdf". But where does the Author field come from? These two files have no author, but one .pdf I have has a gibberish name and I would love to correct that...

Add: It appear that the metadata for the file needs to be altered to correct the Author. That cannot be done with Acrobat Reader - as best I can tell. I suspect I can do it with PDF X-change viewer.

The .mobi files do not seem perfect:

Why does the PDF conversion lose some images/tables?
The PDF conversion tries to extract the text and images from the PDF file and convert them to and HTML based ebook. Some PDF files have images in a format that cannot be extracted (vector images). All tables are also represented as vector diagrams, thus they cannot be extracted.

What's the deal with Table of Contents in MOBI files?
In the MOBI format, the TOC situation is a little confused. This is because the MOBI format, alone amongst mainstream ebook formats, does not have decent support for a metadata TOC. A MOBI book simulates the presence of a metadata TOC by putting an extra content TOC at the end of the book. When you click Goto Table of Contents on your Kindle, it is to this extra content TOC that the Kindle takes you.

Now it might well seem to you that the MOBI book has two identical TOCs. Remember that one is semantically a content TOC and the other is a metadata TOC, even though both might have exactly the same entries and look the same. One can be accessed directly from the Kindle’s menus, the other cannot.

How you found these to be significant issues? Also, can you modify the author field easily with .mobi files?

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Calibre can edit the author / title / etc ... its really quite comprehensive.
--
~ Insert a Funny Sig Here ~

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
Does it lose the image and table structure in your PDFs? That is one of the benefits of PDFs - the images and tables stay where they are supposed to. If Calibre and the .mobi files are not able to maintain these, then it becomes much less useful -- I took those quotes from the Calibre site...

The TOC issue seems a bit less important, but it seems to be an issue the creators of the .mobi files need to address.
________

FWIW - even though I can use PDF-XChange Viewer to modify the Author field, my Kindle is NOT displaying that as the author.

Questions:

1) Where does the Author string come from??

3) If I use a binary editor (eg. WinVi) to edit the .pdf file, is there some sort of checksum I need to worry about??

Thanks.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by R2:

Does it lose the image and table structure in your PDFs? That is one of the benefits of PDFs - the images and tables stay where they are supposed to.

Don't know -- give it a try?
--
~ Insert a Funny Sig Here ~

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
Well, it sounds like there are enough issues with the .mobi file that it is not worth it. I think I'll stick with PDF files. But it is clear and I need look elsewhere to figure out the Author string problem -- which persists. I'll have to figure out out the checksum issue myself and get back to you!

Thanks for the help.

lorajohn1984

join:2011-07-02
reply to R2
Yes i also had a similar issue in the past like yours and used PDF X-Change viewer, it is perfect for that.
--
Lora

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
In my experience, PDF X-change Viewer does exactly what I do NOT want to do.

It edits and creates the XML "MetaData Stream" but NOT the "Document Information Dictionary". Both of these are MetaData storage fields for PDF files, but the Kindle only reads and parses the Document Information Dictionary.

I recommend not using PDF X-change Viewer to modify the author -- if you want your Kindle to display the Author. Other programs do work.