uniqs
Kamaki
join:2004-02-23
Napa, CA

Kamaki to stormbow

to stormbow

Re: Adding 2nd computer

Sorry,I will describe my set up better.
I have a3800HGV-B modem that has a cable going to a small device that is plugged into the AC socket
In the computer room, there is another small device plugged into an AC socket,that has a cable running from it to a Netgear GS108 device.
From the NetGear box,there is a cable running from one of its' ports to my computer(Win 7) that works great.
The NetGear also has a cable plugged into a port running to my other computer(Win XP), that cannot get to the internet.
The lights are lit up,but when I click on the web browser IE6,it won't access the internet.

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium Member
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA

stormbow

Premium Member

OK, first on the XP machine do start>run>cmd
You will get a command (DOS) window.
type in ipconfig /all
We need to see:
DHCP Enabled
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS Servers

On the Win 7 machine
All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt
run ipconfig /all and post the same information. This will give us a starting point.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to Kamaki

to Kamaki
said by Kamaki:

Sorry,I will describe my set up better.
I have a3800HGV-B modem that has a cable going to a small device that is plugged into the AC socket
In the computer room, there is another small device plugged into an AC socket,that has a cable running from it to a Netgear GS108 device.
From the NetGear box,there is a cable running from one of its' ports to my computer(Win 7) that works great.
The NetGear also has a cable plugged into a port running to my other computer(Win XP), that cannot get to the internet.
The lights are lit up,but when I click on the web browser IE6,it won't access the internet.

Okay, the Win XP Computer sounds a little old and not up to date, IE9 is now available. Turn it off, it sounds like the Data Cable is connected you have lights. Turn it back on, give it time to Boot up properly and then check the lower right corner and let us know if you have any Icons with a red X. If you don't run IE again and see if you have Internet. If you do have a red X, you can check Device Manager and uninstall and install your Ethernet Hardware.

COMMAN
Plug Me In
join:2000-07-17
Mount Juliet, TN

COMMAN

I'd definitely recommend updating from IE6, but IE9 is not available for Win XP - the best the OP can get is IE8. That being said, updating the browser is not going to change the connectivity of the computer. ipconfig and the settings in the network connections section of control panel are what we need to be looking at here - stormbow's advice is a good starting point.
Kamaki
join:2004-02-23
Napa, CA

Kamaki to stormbow

to stormbow
Thanks ,Stormbow and others for the help. I finally got the computer on line.