All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
PEMAD
join:2011-06-15

PEMAD

Questions for getting FIOS in an apartment

Hey Guys, long time reader first time poster. I wanted to know more about the apartment installation. So I randomly checked today to see if FIOS was available for me (even though it has been available for months at a condo complex across the street) and finally it says I can get it.

Now here is my dilemma, I have TWC (it is horrible) and I had a very difficult time getting it installed. It wasn't TWC's fault but my landlord who basically wants me out of there since I pay about half of what the others do. When I finally got the OK from the landlord to get it installed and the guy was installing it the maintenance guy or whatever he is kept cutting the cable and had to convince him the the landlord said it was fine for me to get this done. Now that FIOS is available 1 thing I don't want to do is go through all that again.

Here is my question for those who had it installed, is it possible for FIOS to be installed without the landlord knowing/realizing (ie have everything needed installed in my apartment) to get this working.

I know I shouldn't but the landlord is a real bitch about this kinda stuff and if I have to go through a lot of bull again I think I will just suffer through TWC.

drake
Back to back
MVM
join:2002-06-10
Bridgeport, CT

drake

MVM

Welcome, as a first time poster!

Not sure how far your relationship goes with your landlord, aside from what you've posted above, but it sounds like you need to contact him/her for any installations. I don't think you want to do anything shady and pay dearly for it, for whatever would happen in that case.

What does your lease state about installations of this sort?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to PEMAD

MVM

to PEMAD
said by PEMAD:

Here is my question for those who had it installed, is it possible for FIOS to be installed without the landlord knowing/realizing (ie have everything needed installed in my apartment) to get this working.

The landlord/building owner must sign two agreements with VZ before they will install FIOS in an apartment building.

So unless your landlord has signed those agreements, you won't be able to get FIOS.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to PEMAD

Premium Member

to PEMAD
What type of apartment are you in? Are there multiple apartments in the building? It is the landlords best interest to allow Fios to be available to the apartment. Do other tenants want the service?
Ricanlegend
join:2011-05-18
Bronx, NY

Ricanlegend to PEMAD

to PEMAD
We need more information, is this a private house he least or a normal building with 6 or more floors ?
PEMAD
join:2011-06-15

PEMAD

Sorry for the late response. I signed the lease a while ago so not sure about installations I will have to look at it again when I get home.

I live in a 3 floor 6 apartment building and honestly I don't think she cares about the interest of the other tenants as they are either immigrants, old people, or pot heads so none of them really care about FIOS.

From what I am reading right now looks like unless the landlord gives me the thumbs up I am screwed.
Ricanlegend
join:2011-05-18
Bronx, NY

Ricanlegend

When i got cablevision all the wiring is done coming from the outside the fire escape why cant fios do the same for you ? If i was you contact fios and try to get the wiring from the outsside soo nobody wont be able to cut it

drake
Back to back
MVM
join:2002-06-10
Bridgeport, CT

drake

MVM

said by Ricanlegend:

When i got cablevision all the wiring is done coming from the outside the fire escape why cant fios do the same for you ? If i was you contact fios and try to get the wiring from the outsside soo nobody wont be able to cut it

Did you read the entire post?

It's not the issue of getting FiOS installed- it's whether his landlord will allow it or not, hence the prior issues with his Time Warner setup. And even when the OP orders it, there may be a halt on the service until the landlord makes agreements with Verizon- see More Fiber See Profile's post above.

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

rtfm to PEMAD

to PEMAD
The FCC recently clamped down on MDU landlords and "exclusive" contracts for one carrier. I'm no lawyer, but the tenant does have the right to use whatever carrier he wants.

VZfiostechNJ
@verizon.net

VZfiostechNJ to PEMAD

Anon

to PEMAD
Here in NJ if FiOS is available to an apartment building it means Verizon has already negotiated with the building owner to be able to provision service to the residents. Usually this is with an MDU fiber terminal installed somewhere in the building with microducts installed by a contractor into the individual apartments usually into a closet in the apartment. If Verizon hasn't negotiated with the landlord in advance then the system would not even allow an order to be placed for FiOS as it would show no available facilities to feed the service into the apartment.

So I would say its a pretty safe bet that if the system allows you to place an order, Verizon already took care of those negotiations with the landlord, assuming this is the typical apartment building I am thinking of. (i.e. fiber terminal physically located somewhere in the building and not just on a pole with dozens of wires strung from the pole to the building)