spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slowcentury

@centurytel.net

[netopia] Netopia Model 2246N-VGx Data Rate Setting & Centurylin

Anyone know of a way to manually set the data rate to a speed slower than the ISPs' setting? My down data rate from Centurylink is 7163 with a SNR margin of only 11.5. I'd like to set it to lower rates to see if the SNR margin will go up, improving the stability of the connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Re: [netopia] Netopia Model 2246N-VGx Data Rate Setting & Centur

Only the isp can reliably alter the sync rates

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to slowcentury
As wayjac See Profile posted DSL is master slave with sync rate being set by the DSLAM. Reducing speed will increase margin all else being equal but that is not something you can control short of signing up for a lower speed package.

11.5 dB margin is not terrible, connection should be OK. Have you tried plugging the modem into the Telco NID test jack? That will disconnect inside wiring. If margin improves something within your residence is degrading DSL.

By way of example I have 3000/768 service from FairPoint. My downstream margin is 24 dB but upstream varies between 9-10 dB. Connection have been very stable for years.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Do you have fast path or Interleave? Interleave is more resistant to noise but with a slight increase in latency.

/tom

slowcentury

@centurytel.net
reply to slowcentury
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid end users would be unable to manually set a slower speed but thought I'd give it a shot. I apologize for the long post here.

I have plugged straight into the test jack with no improvement to the connection and essentially the same stats as going thru my home wiring.

My connection is fast path if I am reading the status report from the Netopia correctly.

The problems I am having are high latencies, lots of packet loss, upwards of 10%, and occasional loss of DSL sync. Connection is terrible during Eastern prime time thru Pacific prime time and only truly good for a few hours from maybe 3 or 4 am eastern to about 9 or 10 am eastern. With downstream of 7mbps during prime time I often get speedtests of less than 1mbps. Online game play is painful, downloads are slow and streaming involve alot of buffering.

Below are excerpts from my Netopia status report. The problem is probably with my ISP having to little capacity but if there is anything I could do to help the conn some I'd like too.

ADSL Line State: Up
ADSL Startup Attempts: 2
ADSL Modulation: ADSL2+
ADSL Data Path: Fast

Downstream Upstream
---------- ----------
SNR Margin: 13.50 19.70 dB
Line Attenuation: 37.60 19.40 dB
Output Power: 17.78 11.54 dBm
Errored Seconds: 466 0
Loss of Signal: 0 13
Loss of Frame: 0 0
CRC Errors: 4389 0
Data Rate: 7163 599

atucRevisionNum 2 ATU-C Vendor ID IFTN
TrainedPath Fast TrainedMode ADSL2+
us Interlv delay 0 ds Interlv delay 0

Estimated loop length: 8188 feet (bridge tap)
Framing Mode: FULL OVERHEAD WITH SYNC

Errored seconds 466 Severely Err Sec 82
usRate 599 dsRate 7163
usLOS_errors 14 dsLOS_errors 0
usRdiErrors 14 SEF_errors 0
usSuperFrmCnt 4121045 dsSuperFrmCnt 4121045
usICRC_errors 0 dsICRC_errors 0
usFCRC_errors 0 dsFCRC_errors 4389
usIFEC_errors 0 dsIFEC_errors 0
usFFEC_errors 0 dsFFEC_errors 0
usINCD_error 0 dsINCD_error 0
usFNCD_error 0 dsFNCD_error 0
usILCD_errors 0 dsILCD_errors 0
usFLCD_errors 0 dsFLCD_errors 0
usIHEC_errors 0 dsIHEC_errors 0
usFHEC_errors 0 dsFHEC_errors 0
usIdle_count0 97453378 dsIdle_count0 1141962872
usIdle_count1 0 dsIdle_count1 0
usPdu_count0 0 dsPdu_count0 0
usPdu_count1 0 dsPdu_count1 0
usAtm_count0 1527606 usAtm_count1 0
dsGood_count0 41701186 dsGood_count1 0
dsBadHec_count0 12674 dsBadHec_count1 0
dsOVFDrop_count0 0 dsOVFDrop_count1 0

ATM Virtual Circuits:

VCC # Type VPI VCI Encapsulation
----- ---- --- ----- --------------------------
2 PVC 8 35 PPP over Ethernet (LLC/SNAP encapsulation)

PPP driver information:
PPP: (WAN 1a)
NCP Protocol: (c021) LCP
NCP state: OPEN

LCP Options:
Local MRU: 1492 Remote MRU: 1492
Local to Peer ACC map: 0x00000000 Peer to Local ACC map: 0x00000000
Local authentication type: NONE Remote authentication type: PAP
Transmit FCS size (in bits): 16 Receive FCS size (in bits): 16
Local to Remote protocol compression: Disabled
Remote to Local protocol compression: Disabled
Local to Remote header and address compression: Disabled
Remote to Local header and address compression: Disabled

Packets in: 13733 Packets Out: 0
NCP Protocol: (8021) IPCP
NCP state: OPEN

PPPoE information for PPP(0) running over ENET:
Session State : PPPoE session is active
Host Uniq : 0x1
Session ID : Ox0391

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
said by slowcentury :

I have plugged straight into the test jack with no improvement to the connection and essentially the same stats as going thru my home wiring.

That is a good news/bad news situation. The good news is stuff inside your residence is not degrading DSL. The bad news is due to line characteristics it is about as good as it gets.

Bridged taps act as an unterminated stub so it is responsible for some degradation of your circuit. Ideally it should be removed. That can be costly and it not typically done for residential service. Do you know a local Telco craftsperson? Amazing what you can accomplish informally and perhaps with a case of beer.

said by slowcentury :

The problems I am having are high latencies, lots of packet loss, upwards of 10%, and occasional loss of DSL sync.

There are probably two separate issues.

1) Loss of sync - will of course kill the connection until it is restored.
quote:
Errored Seconds: 466 0
Loss of Signal: 0 13
Loss of Frame: 0 0
CRC Errors: 4389 0
Not sure exactly how to interpret the log. Downstream is worse then upstream but the numbers in and of themselves is not as important as what percentage they represent.

Curiously there is loss of upstream signal 13 times but no error. Not sure what that means.

I think it safe to assume your line is marginal for the speed you are provisioned. Only options are to improve the line or have ISP reduce the speed.

2) If latency and packet loss occurs when the modem is syncing normally means there are problems above the physical DSL layer. Run traceroute (tracert in Windows) to stable sites like Broadband Reports during good times and bad. Latency should gradually increase with hop count and distance. Unexplained jump typically indicates congestion at that or the previous hop. Your ISP my be seriously oversubscribed, resulting in poor performance during peal usage times.

Good Luck.

/tom

slowcentury

@centurytel.net
Thanks again for the reply. I'm going to call tech support again and have them drop my speed to 3mbps to see if that improves the situation any. I'd even settle for 1.5mbps if the conn stability would improve quite a bit.

I do know a local tech. I'll have to find out if he still works for the telco and see what he might be able to do for me.

I have been told by techs of the telco before they have issues with oversubscribing, that and me living out in the boonies is just a bad combo I think.