Search similar:

uniqs

heybob
join:2002-01-12
Rockford, MI

heybob

5660 upgrade notes! Opinions please!!

Hi guys
I've been reading in here since I got my 5260 and even though I didn't need a router, I had to convert this one like everyone else! I followed the many instructions, MOST of which are right. But what I will tell you is this.. the 1488 and 1489 are obsolete and no longer carried by Radio Shack and I had one heck of a time tracking them down. I used a female DB9 and I used sockets on perf board to build my RS232 kit. This way I could pop in another 1488/89 if I toasted one. I also used an old PC supply for the +12, -12 and +5 which worked fine but was bulky as hell. I also had Qmodem Pro installed and could not get that to work with this. I added Hyperterminal and it worked fine. A note to the kit builder... take the test a step at a time. Make a loopback on your PC port (tie 2 to 3) and see if you can echo with Hyperterminal... this way you'll know you have the terminal proggy set right. Next, hook you kit up and tie the xmit and rcv lines together (the ones that would go to pins 9 & 11 on the pads of the 5260) and again you should be able to echo keystrokes. Now you know you have the proggy, port and kit working good and you are ready to attach to the 5260!

A Note for the techie... boot the 1488 and 1489 and use a Maxim MAX232 or a MAX233. It wouldn't surprize me if this was the "missing chip" on the 5260. Both have 1488 and 1489 built in, and operate on a +5v supply only. No +12/-12 needed. The 232 needs a few .1 caps and is cheaper, and the 233 needs nothing but +5v and grd and even has +/-10 outputs for other circuitry! Find specs on these chips here:
»maxim-ic.com

Regarding the need for a hacked image file... you can go straight to 2.3(6) without a hack if you do your own hacking on 2.3(6). Just use a hex editor to edit the image to remove checksum value and set as a 5260 firmware and the 5260 will accept it. I used HexEdit 2.0 free d/l from here:
»download.cnet.com/downlo ··· 390.html
Set it to view in 32bit words (there's "32" button on the tool bar) and set the following fullwords:
0xe0 from 0x00000003 to 0x00000005
(this makes the firmware look like 5260 firmware)
0xfc from 0x000026c0 to 0x00000000
(this will null the checksum)

You should be able to use the Telnet method with the edited version without flashing to the "hacked" image that's floating around.

I have a copy of 2.3(6) I have edited that I can share but don't want a lawyer up my butt, so if you have any idea's on how to share it, let me know!

Finally, let it be known... the router setup on the 5660 SUCKS. I don't recommend it if you don't need a router. If you don't already have a router, then by all means, just the hardware firewall is worth it. Some may just want the GUI interface. But it's nowhere near as easy to use as say a Linksys or Netgear but most certainly better than nothing!

Bob

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by heybob:

Finally, let it be known... the router setup on the 5660 SUCKS. I don't recommend it if you don't need a router.
After having my 5660 (a real one) for going on three years I'm going to offer a counterpoint that the Router is very user friendly and easy to setup. If you are new to setting services on a WAN/LAN interface then it will appear hard, but it is not. Most problems are caused by people wanting to change every little setting on the 5660 when 90% can and should be left in the default state. The less monkeying with it's settings the better off the end user will be. At least read what the settings do before changing them and know what the defaults are (write them down or do a put config to a LAN PC) so you can undo any mistakes made.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

azacamis
join:2000-12-16
Singapore

azacamis to heybob

to heybob
my 2 cents.

It cannot be denied that this router lacks those features most SOHO routers have like port forwarding in range or DMZ but what I like about this router is that EVERYTHING you can do on CLI, you can do on the GUI. Setup requires more inputs from you but if you know your stuff, then it is no different.

Talking about GUI, some ppl say that CLI is still the best way to do configuration (eg Cisco) and GUI is usually for those who are not technically inclined BUT if you see the trend nowadays, almost everyone is moving to GUI because they can do it. 5660, IMHO, has one of the best GUI of all the routers that I have touch so far

You will be suprise that a very well known manufactures who is well known for the CLI even ask me to test out the GUI for them...
rabbitears
join:2002-02-21
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears to heybob

to heybob
You are 100% correct on the 1488/1489 vs the 232 chips.
Even better, use the 233. It has the caps built in.

I like to use the ACPE which has the 400k+ rate vs the slower chips. The price difference is mere pennies but the performance is worth much more. The 232 & 233 chips are great, talk about swiss army knife, it's amazing all the neat stuff in your house you can talk to through your S & P ports!

A word of EXTREME CAUTION! Hexedit, as you noted above, is a BAD program. Freeware, you get what you pay for! By DEFAULT, it comes up in INSERT mode.

(I see no use in INSERTING code into an image file, like a eeprom flash memory or the like, that's STUPID. You can not just INSERT stuff, everthing gets SHIFTED and then NOTHING will work, the file will be rendered USELESS. Insert mode is for WORD PROCESSING, not for editing HEX files. If you have a file, be it a flash memory file or even a program file, you can't do stuff like that.
I wrote the guy who wrote the program and he just told me it was too bad for me, and he even threw a few insults in too. I told him he needs to redo his program so that it comes up in OVERWRITE instead of INSERT mode and he pretty much told me to take a leap... )

I printed the instructions out for editing the IMG file on PAPER.
I stood the printout up on my copy stand and began typing away. I did not look at the screen or keyboard as I typed, I looked at the paper. When I was through typing, I then looked at the screen. I had typed the correct bytes into the editor and they were indeed in the correct locations.

BUT, because it was INSERT MODE by DEFAULT, it had inserted the new bytes and shifted all the other bytes off to the right, ALL data after the edit was now offset. If it had now been in insert mode and had defaulted to OVERWRITE mode, as it should have been, this wouldn't have happened.

I didn't see this happening because I was looking at the PAPER as I typed. I did not know that almost the entire image was now offset. I saved the now corrupted and badly damaged image file to disk.

I began the flash routine and almost right away I got a failure message telling me the image was corrupted and the flash had failed. KA-BOOOOOOOOM!! Big mushroom cloud!!

That was it, all the lights went solid red and it's now dead to the world. It's "looped" now, it won't get past post. Now my only hope is to JTAG into it and reflash it that way. I'm working on that and will have it figured out shortly. I'm in the process of gathering in all the datasheets for all the onboard chips and there are JTAG pins on the CPU and a few other chips.

I'm going to build a webpage in the next day or so to share with others my progress. I know I'm not the only one out there to have fried one of these puppies...

Be careful folks!!

baloosh
join:2000-08-03
Dayton, OH

baloosh to heybob

to heybob
No offense, but it's not the shareware author's fault that you didn't verify the settings on the hex editor software before you changed, saved, and attempted to use your bad firmware flash file.

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob

Regarding Hexedit... I noticed it came up in "insert" mode too but I was watching my image as I edited it and picked up on it right away. What I did was highlight the whole word and retype and that did the job fine. Hexedit was a freebie and there are many out there. No it's not for the timid, but it can get the job done and that in itself is a good thing.

The 233 is an amazing chip and I do think it's a good upgrade to our RS232 design we all share. You no longer need the PC supply and that in iteslf is worth it.

The freed 5260 as a router... I can appreciate how some may find it a dandy router. I personally need port forwarding and also find moving about the 5660 GUI less than friendly. I would take a Linksys router over it any day myself, but that's just my opinion after playing with both. I feel I "know my stuff" fairly well, but still prefer less pain when setting up a router. Doc... my question to you would be:
have you spent any time with a Linksys router? Keep in mind that 3 years experience with any device is bound to make you confortable with it. My opinion is based on how easy it is to setup out of the box and new to the user. I still think the Linksys is better for the novice,,, which is the vast majority of users out there.
heybob

heybob

Here's a photo to the techie...
heybob

heybob

Here's a pinout of the MAX232 and the MAX233
heybob

heybob

I've had a few contacts about the edit trick.
I should have been clearer about this...
The edit should work but I can't guarnatee results. Mine is a 5660 now (or so it thinks) and the hacked firmware would not be accepted because a 5660 won't let you flash it with 5260 firmware... which is one of the 5660 firmwares alterations: to make it look like 5260 firmware. I have not tested it on my router. So be careful and use it as you would any hack. I'm confident it works, but I could be wrong. If anyone does have success with the edit, let us know.
heybob

heybob to rabbitears

to rabbitears
said by rabbitears:

I'm going to build a webpage in the next day or so to share with others my progress. I know I'm not the only one out there to have fried one of these puppies...
Be careful folks!!
Well said. I'm sorry Hexedit failed you. It edited ok for me on my XP system. I can see how you made the error. There's not a tech out there that hasn't given themselves some headaches! But hey if you get that JTAG stuff figured out, then you would have a great system for testing edited images!

Post the results and how-to's!
Bob
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears

Good work Heybob!

Good stuff you posted there, excellent pics and good info. This is the kind of stuff that makes things go a little smoother, when you can SEE what you are tying into before hand.

Glad that your upgrade went well for you. You were fortunate to notice the insert mode. I just touch typed from a copy stand and that burned me. I would have never thought in a million years that the hex editor would even have the option to insert. Well, DOH for me! I learned a hard and expensive lesson. I bought that modem from SWB and they hung it too me good so that's why I am so determined to repair it. I refuse to give up.

Here's my sucky SBC website, it's just raw so you can click and download PDF datasheets on the chips in the 5260/5660.

»pages.sbcglobal.net/2d48 ··· 5196b3c/

It'll hold until I get a permanent home on the web, been without broadband over a year since I moved, just got online saturday and they still haven't got me up to speed. Capped at 384 and even so, only getting 300/102. Needless to say I'm not very happy considering I was sold 1500/128 and am paying $50mo. for 1500/128. What a rip off. But, for now it beats that sucky dialup.

P.S. everyone, DITCH EnterNet 300, it is klonky and sucky and slow. I installed RASPPPoe and it is much faster and easier to use. EnterNet 300 was in constant conflict with my firewalls and 8 of 10 times it wouldn't run until I took them down then back up.. Nope, that's not for me.

Now I can single click and connect and have any of my proggies autoconnect on demand...

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob

said by rabbitears:

I bought that modem from SWB and they hung it too me good so that's why I am so determined to repair it. I refuse to give up.

They Stiffed you too? SBC got me on my setup... don't want to talk about the amount... :-(

Thanks for the great comments and I was at your site grabbing some PDFs. I appreciate you posting that stuff for grabs!

Good info on the EnterNet 300. I suspected it was crappy.
Once you get that modem going in router mode, you can boot all the PPPoE clients and use the one on the router!

When did you toast your modem? Before I posted? What a coincidence we both used the same editor! You must like Google too?
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears

said by heybob:

They Stiffed you too? SBC got me on my setup... don't want to talk about the amount... :-(

LOL!! Yep, I don't wanna even think about the amount they got me for.

When did you toast your modem? Before I posted?

I think it was over the weekend, it's all a blur now. I'd have to go back and look.

Anyway, just found and added the datasheet for U18, the MT flash memory chip. Turns out it's really a 64MEG chip! Woa! That's a hefty chip there eh??
2 Meg x 32 (512K x 32 x 4 banks)
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmm"

More to follow, there are still a few chips to dig up sheets on, the big motorola CPU and a few other support chips. I'd also like to see someone crack open a REAL (sold as) 5660 and tell us the numbers on the missing serial chip, U10, so we can get datasheets on it too and find a place to order them. I bet they can be gotten at Digikey. I'd like to see a highgrade photo (like you supplied) of the chip and the serial socket in place.

Never give up!!

Chips all run on smoke. Inside every chip is a little tiny supply of smoke that keeps it running smoothly. When you screw something up and let that little puff of smoke out of that chip it WILL quit working. That's an etched in stone fact of life..

[text was edited by author 2002-02-26 01:33:59]

azacamis
join:2000-12-16
Singapore

azacamis

heybob, you can find the help you need on 5660 here

»pov.2y.net/efficient/5660

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob

said by azacamis:
heybob, you can find the help you need on 5660 here

»pov.2y.net/efficient/5660

Outstanding! Great site, lots of great info!
Thanks!
Bob
ampparks
join:2001-03-05
Houston, TX

ampparks to heybob

to heybob
Well, I have been using my Linksys BEFSR41 for about 2 yrs now. I ditched the Enternet 300 software and used the Linksys to authenticate me on SWbell, but I made the mistake of moving from Houston to Sugar Land (10 miles and into Alltel's territory), I went from getting 1322/90 speed for $40/month to 630/108 speed for $50/mo.
But anyway, I prefer the GUI on the Linksys, so much so that I have disabled DHCP on the 5260/5660 and use my Linksys because of the SPI, and all the other goodies on it, it gives me more peace of mind knowing that I have it and the 5660 to protect my computer. The CLI is better because its easier to navigate but I have to admit, the GUI makes it easier to see whats going on.
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears to heybob

to heybob
Update on the chips installed in the 5260/5660.

U1
03XX
LMC64
821M

U2
Alcatel 2840 Dynamite
0028 C144-5AA
1AB 12680 ABAA
MTC-20144TQ-C
CC927500 SG
Integrated ADSL CMOS Analog Front-End Circuit

U3
ADG409BR
I36362

U6
Samsung
K4S161622D-TC10
T7B246C3
/Graphics_Memory/SDR_SDRAM/16M_bit
512K x 16Bit x 2 Banks Synchronous DRAM
1Mx16, 3.3V, 10ns, package-50 TSOP2

U9
DS1708T
0026A4
642AA

U11
AC04
XAC026
(MOTOROLA)

U12
AC04
XAC026
(MOTOROLA)

U13
P02AD
LCX74

U14
LEVEL ONE
0018 ESS8
LXT905PC

U15
THZ16D07
DELTA 0030

U17 - Toshiba - JACKPOT !! (I believe this is the FLASH memory where we FTP the firmware to.)
79954V
TC58FVT160FT-85
Flash 16M. 1Mx16, TSOP

U18 - MT = Micron Tech. (memory chip here)
48LC2M32B2 - 2Mx32(8MB)

U22 - Motorola
XPC850SRZT50BT
OK29A
ZQQEZ0028

U25 - Analog Devices
Analog ADSL differential line drive
AD815ARB
-24 0026
(this chip is cool, it can operate as a 12 channel video distribution amp too, I gotta get one to play with!!!)

U26
AD812
AR0033
I43809

U900
P05AB
LCX541

U901 - (this is the BIG chip, main CPU perhaps?)
Alcatel Dynamite - SAMB ARM (an Atmel product??!)
MTC-20146TQ-C
C146-4AA
DJX22100T AS

I have datasheets on most of these chips at my URL.
check in at;
»pages.sbcglobal.net/2d48 ··· 5196b3c/

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob

Great info!
So what's the next step? Exactly how do you get the firmware into a brain dead unit? "JTAG" into U17? What exactly is "JTAG"?
Bob
[text was edited by author 2002-02-26 22:52:22]
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears

said by heybob:
What exactly is "JTAG"?
Ah, check here for starters; »www.jtag.com/

Here's a snippet from their site,
quote:

Boundary-scan was developed in the mid-1980s to solve physical access problems on PCBs caused by increasingly crowded assemblies due to novel packaging technologies. This technique embeds test circuitry at chip level to form a complete board- level test protocol. With boundary-scan - industry standard IEEE 1149.1 since 1990 - you can access even the most complex assemblies for testing, debugging and on-board device programming and for diagnosing hardware problems.
Check this out too; »www.jtag.com/brochure.ph ··· ?lg=en#1

There are a lot of GOOD PDF files that explain what JTAG is.

I'm running low on space on my sucky little site so I'm going to hold off on putting those files up, I'll just make a link page to cover them offsite.

Oh yeah, one other thing, don't be alarmed at the big boys trying to peddle JTAG interfaces for BIG $$$. That's simply BS. You can build one for under $1 if you have old stuff laying around you can scavenge from. I built one that plugs into my parallel port and uses nothing more than a DB25 and a few resistors from an old pcb. It really cost me ZERO to build it. The software is out there for free too. Also, you can build an in circut I2C programmer for pennies to nothing and the software for that is free too. Check out »www.lancos.com/prog.html for the free software and schematics. It's all out there for free.

This is cool too, »www.cwav.com/software.htm

Also, try plugging "build your own JTAG reader" into google.
DVD (and such) hackers seem to be pretty savvy on JTAG. There are a lot of DVD hack sites with very good details on how to build and use JTAG for pennies to nothing..

Enjoy!!

[text was edited by author 2002-02-27 00:25:19]

[text was edited by author 2002-02-27 00:26:41]

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob

rabbitears, you are a maniac!
thanks for all the great info!
Bob

marathonmike
Beer. You can only rent it
join:2001-12-12
Princeton, NJ

marathonmike to heybob

to heybob
I opened up a real 5660.
The real 5660 has more DRAM. U18 is replaced by 2 MT48LC4M16A2 DRAM chips. Each is 4Meg by 16 bit. This gives it 16Mbytes total (twice the 5260).
The missing RS232 chip for the serial port is an LTC1386CS. The company is LINEARTECH, but I cannot find any info on them.
The DIN connector is an Amphenol, but no part number.
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears

said by marathonmike:
I opened up a real 5660.
The real 5660 has more DRAM. U18 is replaced by 2 MT48LC4M16A2 DRAM chips. Each is 4Meg by 16 bit. This gives it 16Mbytes total (twice the 5260).
The missing RS232 chip for the serial port is an LTC1386CS. The company is LINEARTECH, but I cannot find any info on them.
The DIN connector is an Amphenol, but no part number.
You da man!!

Thanks! I'll add this info a little later to my site..
»pages.sbcglobal.net/2d4845196b3c

Here's what the serial chip is;

"3.3V Low Power EIA/TIA562 Transceiver"
and here's the datasheet on it;
»pages.sbcglobal.net/2d48 ··· 1386.pdf

AOTMA
join:2001-04-13
Florissant, MO

AOTMA

This is the same pin-out as the MAX232, except for VCC, which is +5 for the MAX and 3.3 for the LTC. So, which VCC is present in the 5260?
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears

said by AOTMA:
This is the same pin-out as the MAX232, except for VCC, which is +5 for the MAX and 3.3 for the LTC. So, which VCC is present in the 5260?
I'll check that in a little bit and post results shortly..
AOTMA
join:2001-04-13
Florissant, MO

AOTMA

In case you didn't get my IM, have a look at this for U15: »www.deltaww.com/products ··· ulse.htm
Not an exact match, but it could be a contracted part.
ehelm
join:2001-12-21
Hays, KS

ehelm to heybob

to heybob
I am not familiar with editing hex values, anyone have any simpler instructions for editing these values... I am not sure where and what exactly to edit.
Please help.
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears

You better do a LOT of reading first or you *WILL* fry your modem!! I did. DON'T use a program named HexEdit, it's trash and it WILL burn you sooner or later.

There are a number of links and threads here about upgrading the 5260 --> 5660.

Seek them out and do a LOT of reading!!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to ehelm

Premium Member

to ehelm
said by ehelm:
I am not familiar with editing hex values, anyone have any simpler instructions for editing these values... I am not sure where and what exactly to edit.
Please help.
STOP. If you are not familiar with HEX, now is not the time to FRY your modem trying to learn HEX.

There are not any simpler instructions as they have been put in very simple terms for any user/writer in HEX to understand.

If you don't understand then ask a friend at school or a tech college that knows HEX to help you. Otherwise expect to FRY your unit.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob

said by Doctor Olds:

If you don't understand then ask a friend at school or a tech college that knows HEX to help you. Otherwise expect to FRY your unit.

Ain't that the truth....

ehelm, try to track down a hacked 2.1 and use the Telnet method. Once you are at 2.1 you can then go to 2.3. But don't hex edit if you don't know much about it. That is a trick for experienced techs
Bob
heybob

heybob to rabbitears

to rabbitears
said by rabbitears:

"3.3V Low Power EIA/TIA562 Transceiver"
and here's the datasheet on it;
»pages.sbcglobal.net/2d48 ··· 1386.pdf

Gang have a close look at these specs!!
ITS IDENTICAL TO THE MAX232!!

So The Max232 is the missing chip it looks like!