spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rabbitears
join:2002-02-21
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears to heybob

to heybob

Re: 5660 upgrade notes! Opinions please!!

Ah yes, it does appear (according to the datasheets) to be a close cousin if not a clone of the Max232.

Giving thought to this, and inspection of the board, I see that directly beneath where U10 would go there are some missing capacitors, five of them to be exact.

C65 -> C69

Now, if that kind soul that opened his real 5660 would look on the bottom of his board and see if there are caps there where there are not on 5260 units. If so, what are the values (we can decode the tiny numbers )??
I suspect the values are going to be common as would be used in a max232 config, I.E. 0.1uf

A few HQ photos of a real 5660, U10 installed, caps, and serial port (mini DIN ??) would be really cool too.
Oh yeah, and a few pics of the larger memory chips would be nice also. (jeeeeeeezzzzzzz, I sure do want a lot huh??!)

I also notice that the wires that we have been soldering on to the board and the pins on the MAX232 / LT1386 are just right. This is looking pretty good.

Plug the part number into »www.digikey.com and they show to have about 4700 +/- on hand.

They show an IS and a CS version, not sure about the difference as I get the same exact datasheet offered to me when I request precise info on each chip. Hmmmmm..

??
Well, this is getting fun.:D
paunik4
join:2002-03-03
estonia

paunik4 to heybob

to heybob
my 5260 has U6 - KM416S1120DT-G10
paunik4

paunik4 to heybob

to heybob
U11 & U12 - AC04 HEX INVERTERS ?
»www.tij.co.jp/PRDB/doc/D ··· 519C.pdf
U23 - N01A transistor?
U24 - N02A transistor?
AOTMA
join:2001-04-13
Florissant, MO

AOTMA

I opened my unit and measured VCC - it is 3.3V, so the LT chip is the correct one for the 5260 as well. I also verified the pad-outs to C65-C69 match the LT chip pin-out.

heybob
join:2002-01-12
Rockford, MI

heybob to rabbitears

to rabbitears
said by rabbitears:

They show an IS and a CS version, not sure about the difference as I get the same exact datasheet offered to me when I request precise info on each chip.
I bet that's surface mount and inline dip options
paunik4
estonia

paunik4 to heybob

to heybob
What about using MAX3232CSE as U10 ?
it's from 3.0 to 5.5 V... pin compatible MAX 232
»dbserv.maxim-ic.com/quic ··· num=1068
Stomperz6
Premium Member
join:2001-06-12
Chicago, IL

Stomperz6 to heybob

Premium Member

to heybob
heybob, i'm have the small mem i think. will the new 5660.img file work.(v2.36)

> > -> memShow
> > status bytes blocks avg block max block
> > ------ --------- -------- ---------- ----------
> > current
> > free 4134240 10 413424 4120472
> > alloc 2469704 544 4539 -
> > cumulative alloc 25574368 565231 45 -value = 0 = 0x0

To share the hack u could just write a trainer to edit the 5660.img file which any one can d/l legally.
Stomperz6

Stomperz6 to heybob

Premium Member

to heybob
Glad I use Hex-Workshop. I didn't read the rest of the thread until now. I did a file compare before I tried the upgrade. File with Hexedit inserted extra bite and shifted the rest. Glad I double checked. Other than that it worked fine. Now the owner of a 5660.
Thanks to everyone. Now I can go to sleep.

marathonmike
Beer. You can only rent it
join:2001-12-12
Princeton, NJ

marathonmike to heybob

to heybob
Per the request for pictures, I think you guys can figure it out just by tracing some lines. The cap values are in the datasheets.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but IMO the real "value" of a 5660 is in the large memory. The serial interface doesn't do anything more than you get on the other (telnet, http)control methods. This might have not been true with earlier firmware 2.1.X that locked out subsequent downloads in small memory units. Then you had to have the serial port to enable a new load.
Upgrading the memory is very risky. You have to remove the DRAM that's there and add two new chips. The addressing is in an ASIC that would have to be reprogrammed, or replaced. The programming in the ASIC is going to be difficult to copy.
Good Luck.
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears

said by marathonmike:

Upgrading the memory is very risky. You have to remove the DRAM that's there and add two new chips. The addressing is in an ASIC that would have to be reprogrammed, or replaced. The programming in the ASIC is going to be difficult to copy.
Good Luck.
True. You have to be a real expert to remove and replace chips on this unit. It takes special skills and special tools. It's not something that Joe Six-pack can do with a $5.95 Rat Shack pencil iron.

As for reprogramming the unit, it is my goal to JTAG into it. The ARM chip is JTAG capable, I just have to probe out the exact I/O points on the board. I would give just about anything for an Oscope now. I could kick myself, I had a 50Mhz DT HP scope back in the 80's and I traded it for a 133 megabyte full height HD. Yep, 133 whopping megs. I guess it was about 1988 when the HD was worth $1,900. Now it's worth diddly-squat. But, I still have that beast, I take it out about twice a year when I have a serious project and have pleasant flashbacks to the days when I was the proud owner of that HP Oscope.

Oh well, I'll get it one way or another...

My 5260/5660 crackpot project page...
»pages.sbcglobal.net/2d48 ··· 5196b3c/
rabbitears

rabbitears to Stomperz6

to Stomperz6
said by Stomperz:
Glad I use Hex-Workshop. I didn't read the rest of the thread until now. I did a file compare before I tried the upgrade. File with Hexedit inserted extra bite and shifted the rest. Glad I double checked. Other than that it worked fine. Now the owner of a 5660.
Glad to hear that you survived HexEdit!

It's a good thing that you thought to check it that way. I didn't, I got in a hurry and I got screwed. Well, now you're good to go!!

»pages.sbcglobal.net/2d48 ··· 5196b3c/

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob to Stomperz6

to Stomperz6
said by Stomperz:
OUTSTANDING!
We now have PROOF POSITIVE that the edit posted in the first posting of this thread does in fact work!! That's great!
I know that HexEdit defaults to insert (how dumb) but it does get the job done. If anyone has a better choice for a hexeditor that we can d/l, post a link up here!

Thanks for all the posts on this thread! It's my first and it generated alot of great info! Awesome!
heybob

heybob to rabbitears

to rabbitears
said by rabbitears:
Upgrading the memory is very risky.
No shit... better be good at what you do.
BUT HEY, why bother? We now know for a fact (thanks to the great input from Stomperz) that the edit for 2.3(6) WORKS. The only reason I knew of for the interest in more memory was the 5660 2.2 MEMHOG. Originally, we started this by using the "hacked" 2.1, then (before 2.3(6) was avail) we flashed to the latest... 2.2 at the time. This image took up too much space and forced the Hyperterminal method which was a pain. Once to 2.3(6), even the small memory could take on an upgrade without cracking it open. So since we have a good upgrade straight to 2.3(6), the extra memory is of no benefit... (right?)
Input?

BTW thanks everyone for all the GREAT postings in this thread!
Bob
heybob

heybob

OK GANG, here's an updated version on the instructions to do this upgrade!

edited quote from my first post:

Regarding the need for a hacked image file... you can go straight to 2.3(6) without a hack if you do your own hacking on 2.3(6). Just use a hex editor to edit the image to remove checksum value and set as a 5260 firmware and the 5260 will accept it. I used HexEdit 2.0 free d/l from here:
»download.cnet.com/downloads/0-4003619-..[?]

WARNING this editor DEFAULTS TO INSERT. YOU MUST SET TO OVERWRITE!! If you insert, all else will be offset and it will send your modem to nevernever land!

Set it to view in 32bit words (there's "32" button on the tool bar) and set to OVERWRITE and set the following fullwords:
0xe0 from 0x00000003 to 0x00000005
(this makes the firmware look like 5260 firmware)
0xfc from 0x000026c0 to 0x00000000
(this will null the checksum)

If you used INSERT(WRONG) instead of OVERWRITE(CORRECT), I would expect the checksum to no longer be at 0xe0. This works, but keep an eye on what you are doing and be very careful!
heybob

heybob

Click for full size
Here it is...

marathonmike
Beer. You can only rent it
join:2001-12-12
Princeton, NJ

marathonmike to heybob

to heybob
From Heybob - the extra memory is of no benefit... (right?)

Some claim the added memory is needed for storing all the STUFF needed in router mode. DNS entries, DHCP assignments, all kinds of junk. It seems to me that the couple of megs available in a small memory config should be enough for some pretty complex networks. I cannot image storing enough entries to fill this. Anyone know?
paunik4
estonia

paunik4 to heybob

to heybob
I made changes mentioned and got following checksums:
E0D0 or 0xD0 +(0x00)
you mentioned:0xe0
(my original image had E1B4 or 0xB4 +(0x00))
What checksum you used (if your sum is correct)...?
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears to heybob

to heybob
said by heybob:
Here it is...
Hey, that's excellent!
Very, very nice info there.
Mind if I post it on my site??

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob

said by rabbitears:
said by heybob:
Here it is...
Hey, that's excellent!
Very, very nice info there.
Mind if I post it on my site??
Sure, share the wealth I always say!

This thread ROCKS! Thanks for all the posts. I just got another email from a user that told me my edit trick WORKS
heybob

heybob to paunik4

to paunik4
said by paunik:
I made changes mentioned and got following checksums:
E0D0 or 0xD0 +(0x00)
you mentioned:0xe0
(my original image had E1B4 or 0xB4 +(0x00))
What checksum you used (if your sum is correct)...?
I'm not sure what you are doing, but if you are not 100% sure of your editing, DO NOT USE IT. (ask Rabbitears! )
I don't know what the checksum should be after editing, my edit trick is all theory for me. There are a couple of users reading this thread that have edited the image and used it successfully so maybe someone can send you their tested edit. You can also use the edited 2.1 firmware floating around. Once a 5660, you should be able to upgrade again to the latest firmware without trouble.
heybob

heybob to marathonmike

to marathonmike
said by marathonmike:
From Heybob - the extra memory is of no benefit... (right?)

Some claim the added memory is needed for storing all the STUFF needed in router mode. DNS entries, DHCP assignments, all kinds of junk. It seems to me that the couple of megs available in a small memory config should be enough for some pretty complex networks. I cannot image storing enough entries to fill this. Anyone know?
Well, from experience, my freed 5260 worked fine in router mode with the low memory. So from a functionality point, I see no difference. That might be something Efficient may do differently to bone us hackers... they could write the code so that it needs that higher memory. We always have 2.3(6) if they do though.
ampparks
join:2001-03-05
Houston, TX

ampparks to heybob

to heybob
Here is a good Hex Editor, Its the software I used when I upgraded my 5260.

»www.hhdsoftware.com/hexe ··· tor.html
Stomperz6
Premium Member
join:2001-06-12
Chicago, IL

Stomperz6 to paunik4

Premium Member

to paunik4
Go to alt.binaries.misc (Subject: 5260-5660-img)(2 files)
I posted it there. It's been edited, double checked and flashed. My 5260 is now a 5660 If only I can figure out how to use it! It wasn't that I really need a router but I couldn't resist the challenge.

Good Luck

ev5260
@cerfnet.com

ev5260 to heybob

Anon

to heybob

Re: need help with ftp

Ok I got the 5660.img 2.3(6) used hex-workshop to edit the mem addresses. Changed my tcp/ip settings, was able to telnet into my 5260, but when I try to ftp to my server that I have set up, it wont work just says File could not be downloaded. Ive used serv-U and now im using Bulletproof. I know the ftp server works, because I can connect to it with my cute ftp client and everything comes up just fine. Am I doing something wrong? I changed my ip adddress to 10.0.0.2 and this is what im using for the ftp server? Does the modem need to be logged onto my isp or what?

leevis
Growing Older But Not Up

join:2000-10-28
Pascagoula, MS

leevis

said by ev5260:
I changed my ip adddress to 10.0.0.2 and this is what im using for the ftp server?
What did you change to 10.0.0.2? The modem or the PC? If you changed the IP of the modem to 10.0.0.2 and the IP of the PC is 10.0.0.2, that certainly won't work.

Lee

ev5260
@cerfnet.com

ev5260

Anon

I changed the ip address of my nic card to 10.0.0.2.
I am able to ping and telnet into the modem. I can also ping 10.0.0.2 from the modem.
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears

said by ev5260:
I changed the ip address of my nic card to 10.0.0.2.
I am able to ping and telnet into the modem. I can also ping 10.0.0.2 from the modem.
Sounds like what I just went through.
Check this thread out,
»5660 http - no access ????

leevis
Growing Older But Not Up

join:2000-10-28
Pascagoula, MS

leevis to ev5260

to ev5260
One final question. What is the part number of your 5260? Are you sure it's one that can be "upgraded"??

Lee

ev5260
@cerfnet.com

ev5260

Anon

060-5660-003
Im gonna try changing the ftp and http ports in the post that rabbit sent me, Ill let you know how it goes.
ev5260

ev5260

Anon

Well I did "show ?" and I dont have the serverports command?