uniqs
SoilFlames
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Anoka, MN

SoilFlames to heybob

Premium Member

to heybob

Re: 5660 upgrade notes! Opinions please!!

thats what i was getting at olds call me all paranoid and stuff when the numbers are wrong lol. I'm just making sure that i didnt **** it up.

heybob
join:2002-01-12
Rockford, MI

heybob

this thread ROCKS
thanks for all the posts guys.

anonymous_guy
@206.63.x.x

anonymous_guy to heybob

Anon

to heybob
Now I just edited a freshly downloaded image with two different hex editors (created 2 separate hacked output files) and did a fc /b and both showed the offset of the 03 value to be at the 000000E3 address, not at the 000000E5 location.

Comparing files 5660.img and 5660HACKED.IMG
000000E3: 03 05
000000FE: 26 00
000000FF: C0 00

The 000000E5 field is set to 00 in the image I just downloaded from efficient, however it is the E3 field which is set to a value of 03.

Did they change the image, perhaps just to mess us up? Is the field E5 actually supposed to contain the 05 value or any idea what is up?

Appreciate all the info VERY much. Would anyone mind emailing me an original 5660 image (shouldn't be in any trouble for sharing the unmodified version of the image) so I could compare the characters IF you have edited it at the 000000E5 location and successfully flashed it?

Mail to r0gera@yahoo.com -- that is a Zero not the letter o in the email address

Thanks much really appreciate the knowledge.

Only Me
@ny5030.east.verizon.

Only Me to Doctor Olds

Anon

to Doctor Olds
I messed up. I was just trying to return some of the help given to me here. This is an object lesson as to why one should ALWAYS "cut and paste" rather than transcribe. Thanks for clarifying the mistake, Doctor. I had transferred both files to a different machine and had deleted them from this one. I was too stupid and lazy to transfer them back just to do the FC here and instead did the FC there and (incorrectly) copied the result. It was dumb! To save a couple of minutes, I made a total ass of myself and possibly caused big problems for others. Well, I never claimed to be smart. My abject apologies to Alien000 and others, my intentions were good, but I should've quit while I was ahead!

Mea culpa,
O-M

anonymous_guy
@206.63.x.x

anonymous_guy to heybob

Anon

to heybob
Only Me... Thanks for the input... I liked your compare (I forgot all about the dos FC command) and really don't like the file compare in my hex editor... reminded me of a simple and effective way to check the valididy of changes afterwards.

Keep up the input as it helps all....
jlafentres
join:2000-12-31
Saint Louis, MO

jlafentres to heybob

to heybob
Great info on the 5260/5660. I used the info to upgrade mine and add the RS232 port. Here are the parts I used.
1. The Linear Technology RS232 Interface mentioned.
2. (4) 0.1uF tantalum capacitors. (These are a must)
3. A DB9 to mount to the back panel. (Worked out slick)

If anyone would like more details, I would be glad to provide them.

I am looking for some direction on using it as a Router. I can set up the simple stuff, but when it comes to getting it to forward to my Web Server for public access, I am lost, or it just does not work. My ISP requires me to obtain my IP via DHCP, so NAT/PAT is required. Any help!

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob

said by jlafentres:
I used the info to upgrade mine and add the RS232 port. Here are the parts I used.
1. The Linear Technology RS232 Interface mentioned.
2. (4) 0.1uF tantalum capacitors. (These are a must)
3. A DB9 to mount to the back panel. (Worked out slick)

If anyone would like more details, I would be glad to provide them.

Nice job!
Please post all the details!! Got a digital camera? We'd love to see a photo of your handy work!!
jlafentres
join:2000-12-31
Saint Louis, MO

jlafentres

ic.zip
216,402 bytes
(ic.tif)
caps.zip
210,436 bytes
(caps.tif)
Here are some shots of the upgrade to a console port.
jlafentres

jlafentres to heybob

to heybob
backpanel.zip
153,276 bytes
(backpanel.tif)
More shots

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to heybob

Premium Member

to heybob

Converted to PNG 2 of 3
Doctor Olds

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Converted to PNG 3 of 3
h82sk8
join:2002-01-09
Denver, CO

h82sk8 to heybob

to heybob
Thank you all for this great info! I successfully turned my 5260 back to a 5660 and love it! Although I still am unable to get it to connect to MSN with PPP. Darn thing won't authenticate my username or password? Ahh, but I am a step closer and only a $1.20 poorer so very happy to have figured out how to crack this thing. I cracked to code described above and it worked like a charm, Newest firmware straight from Efficient. Who could ask for anything better? Thank you all again!

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob

said by h82sk8:
I still am unable to get it to connect to MSN with PPP. Darn thing won't authenticate my username or password?
I'm sure you tried this, but I'll mention it anyway

your user name is your full email address, not just the user name part.

Bob
heybob

heybob to jlafentres

to jlafentres
thanks for the images, and nice handy work!!

Kebab
@gmacm.com

Kebab to h82sk8

Anon

to h82sk8
I converted my 5260 to a 5660. Cannot establish PPP connection to Verizon though, when in router mode. Any thoughts???

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Yes, Please start a New Topic instead of hijacking a old unrelated thread. Thanks for understanding.

Regards,

Doctor Olds