spc
uniqs

roundthird
@optonline.net

roundthird to roundthird

Anon

to roundthird

Re: Computer Desk - Where to put tower?

When people say it's not good to put the tower in the cpu cabinet of a computer desk, due to possible ventilation issues, is that because it can cause damage to hardware over time, or because of dust build up?

I've had my HP tower in the cpu cabinet for six years without any issues at all with hardware, but dust is an issue. (I have no animals).

If I only have about two to three inches on each side of the tower, would a lot more dust end up in my tower than if it had nothing obstructing it on the sides? My main objection is to keep it as dust free as possible.

I'm also trying to find out exactly why cross ventilation is so important. If it has to do with the hardware, dust, etc.

Thank you so much!!
PC70
join:2011-06-04

PC70

Not just dust but over-heating issues that could happen due to lack of ventillation.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to roundthird

Premium Member

to roundthird
When you put a computer case in a cabinet you create heat and while it may run fine you are shortening the life of the CPU and other components because of the extra heat. Cases should never be on the floor where they act like little vacuum cleaners sucking dirt, dead skin (dust), and animal dander. I have a small table next to my computer desk that I keep my two desktop cases up off the ground and with wide open ventilation all around.