Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Jim7

Premium Member

to Jim7

Re: [game] Drew a blank and framed it. Diplomacy

I'm trying to think of the best way to explain this.

Your fleets basically allow your armies a free travel across the sea as long as there's a fleet on each sea territory between where your army is and where your army intends to go.

So, if you have one fleet, it can jump across one sea territory and onto a land territory in one turn.

If you had multiple fleets, you can have an army jump across multiple tiles in one turn. The army has to start on a land territory and end on a land territory. If any of the fleets are attacked, and there is no support, the fleet carry fails and the entire thing fails. Fleets are unable to attack or move while they're ferrying a unit for a turn. They turn into a "bridge", basically.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
join:2002-10-11
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Much better than my explanation. A bridge is the best way to depict it.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

And it's a way for a unit to damn near go across half the map in one turn if done correctly. It means you have to be aware of much more than just what neighbors a territory, but what could come from far away.

Jim7
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10

Jim7 to Chaplain

Premium Member

to Chaplain
Got it.
A fleet cannot convoy an army across multiple spaces.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Being on the other side, perhaps I can give advice or insight into some possible moves for you without a perception of me trying to gain one-up on you, or manipulate, or lie or whatever.

BUL is yours, no question. You can be there in one move. You should strive to ensure that you're sitting on whatever territory you can get in 2 moves. Remember, you don't take ownership of a territory until the end of fall. Sit on it spring, give it up in fall and you never owned the territory.

Red has two territories that it can reach in one turn, without opposition, however, it has very close borders with others that could take its areas. You could move an army into BUL in spring, move your southern army into CON. During fall, move BUL to GRE and CON to BUL.

You're only guaranteed one territory. You'll bounce if green goes for GRE, but you won't lose anything.

You could chip away at Russia if you wanted to be more aggressive. Guarantee yourself BUL and sit there. Move your SMY army east into ARM and your fleet into BLA. You set yourself up for a 2v1 into SEV. You also wall yourself off pretty hard against any russian offense and prevent yourself from being at risk from a russian ferry of tanks into the south (since he has 4 unit to spare).

Jim7
Premium Member

Jim7

Premium Member

Thanks

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

I suggest taking your move plans to PM with Arch. He's a good ally for the beginning of the game since you have nothing to gain from each other at this point. Some of your planned moves depend on alliances with bordering countries, though, and agreements on who gets what. That's the tough part. Trusting people.

Jim7
Premium Member

Jim7

Premium Member

Thanks.
I ask you, look at these faces. Are we not a trustworthy people?

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Us too.

"Ahem"

It's OK, I'm part German.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

chlen to Jim7

Premium Member

to Jim7
said by Jim7:

Thanks

Don't take advice from Arch... The Brits will eventually own your ass. research plays and make good alliances over PM first.

Jim7
Premium Member

Jim7

Premium Member

Thanks

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
join:2007-09-18
Monterey, CA

TheRul to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

I'm trying to think of the best way to explain this.

Your fleets basically allow your armies a free travel across the sea as long as there's a fleet on each sea territory between where your army is and where your army intends to go.

So, if you have one fleet, it can jump across one sea territory and onto a land territory in one turn.

If you had multiple fleets, you can have an army jump across multiple tiles in one turn. The army has to start on a land territory and end on a land territory. If any of the fleets are attacked, and there is no support, the fleet carry fails and the entire thing fails. Fleets are unable to attack or move while they're ferrying a unit for a turn. They turn into a "bridge", basically.

I think I need to clarify this statement.

If a fleet is attacked and "DISLODGED" then they convoy fails. If the Fleet is not dislodged (a 1 to 1 attack for example) then the convoy Succeeds.
Let me know if I need to create a couple of examples.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I didn't know that. So it takes a dislodge to disrupt a convoy then, not just an attack?

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
join:2007-09-18
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

That is correct. I had to look up those rules recently, and they stuck in my head.