uniqs
war59312
join:2001-03-02
Elgin, SC

war59312

Time Warner Cable Wideband Internet Coming To Columbia, SC

TIME WARNER CABLE TO LAUNCH ULTRA-FAST WIDEBAND INTERNET ACROSS SOUTH CAROLINA:

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· etID=144
Time Warner Cable announced plans to launch Time Warner Cable Wideband Internet for both residential and business customers across South Carolina, with Columbia customers being among the first in the Palmetto State to receive this enhanced Internet offering.
About time.
war59312

war59312

Call and upgrade now.

ccoberly
join:2001-07-07
West Columbia, SC

ccoberly

said by war59312:

Call and upgrade now.

It's available to order now? Do they have self installs at the payment locations?
SanAntonioTx
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
Miami

SanAntonioTx to war59312

Premium Member

to war59312
don't get to happy the ubee has a firmware issue and you won't get a pure 50mbps....
war59312
Elgin, SC

war59312 to ccoberly

to ccoberly
said by ccoberly:

It's available to order now? Do they have self installs at the payment locations?

Yes call now and you can get either extreme which is 30/5 (price depends on your bundle and location) or wide-band 50/5 ($99.95).

NO Self Installs! You have to schedule an appointment. They bring you a new modem.
war59312

1 edit

war59312 to SanAntonioTx

to SanAntonioTx
said by SanAntonioTx:

don't get to happy the ubee has a firmware issue and you won't get a pure 50mbps....

Not effected by that, since I have extreme which is 30mbps. I can't afford $100+ for just Internet.

I'm paying less now with Extreme than I was with Turbo. Crazy eh? Of course it's only good for 1 year, but hell I'll take it. Saving me over $100.
bhlonewolf
join:2010-07-19
Greensboro, NC

bhlonewolf

said by war59312:

Not effected by that, since I have extreme which is 30mbps. I can't afford $100+ for just Internet.

I'm paying less now with Extreme than I was with Turbo. Crazy eh?

I don't understand why they made 30/5 and 50/5. I use the internet pretty heavy, and my 10 with turbo is fine. It's the upload that stinks. But to pay $100/mo for 50/5, I'm surprised they didn't make it 50/10 or something.

thomasr
join:2010-01-21
Winston Salem, NC

thomasr

said by bhlonewolf:

I don't understand why they made 30/5 and 50/5. I use the internet pretty heavy, and my 10 with turbo is fine. It's the upload that stinks. But to pay $100/mo for 50/5, I'm surprised they didn't make it 50/10 or something.

That requires a trick/technology called upstream channel bonding to get more than 5mb uploads... it will be something available in the future... Cable companies are yet to get everyone upgraded to Docsis 3.0 and even fewer companies (Cox & Comcast) have started investigating/testing the possibilities of upstream channel bonding...
XCore
join:2011-01-02
Irmo, SC

XCore to war59312

to war59312
I just called to order Wideband in Columbia, SC (07/11/2011 12:05 EDT) and was told that it "may" be available here in September.

Press release said "Early Summer"
Reps are saying "maybe" September
Probably means Christmas at best

ccoberly
join:2001-07-07
West Columbia, SC

ccoberly

I see RR Extreme/Wideband available on the SC TWC site, I put in my address and added it to my cart and looked like it was going to go through.

I canceled it after I saw they charge you to install a wireless modem/router *$39.99* plus *$19.99* for the tech visit.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

Install fees are becoming more common now. It was even more here in my area when they tried to tack on an service fee even when nothing was done and I raised a stink about that.
war59312
Elgin, SC

4 edits

war59312 to XCore

to XCore
said by XCore:

I just called to order Wideband in Columbia, SC (07/11/2011 12:05 EDT) and was told that it "may" be available here in September.

Press release said "Early Summer"
Reps are saying "maybe" September
Probably means Christmas at best

Hey,

Then you talked to the wrong person.

Asking for billing. If they start giving you a bunch of bull tell them you know someone who already has it.

Even better explain to them that you know a few techs and you know for a fact that all technical support staff have already been trained on this.

You probably just got a lazy a-hole who did not want to go through the paper work. It took my billing agent 30 minutes or so to clear me for the install. She had to get approval from level 3 support at the moment. After all they are giving you a new modem (expensive one at that).

I am technically right out side of Columbia, in Elgin (but less than 2 miles from Columbia city limits).

I know another person who has the 50mpbs wide-band already and he lives in Blythewood. Though he is only get 3mpbs for upload at the moment. They are fixing it and should be up to 5mpbs at the end of July.

So Columbia, Elgin, and Blythewood can get it right now.

Take Care,

Will
war59312

4 edits

war59312 to ccoberly

to ccoberly
said by ccoberly:

I see RR Extreme/Wideband available on the SC TWC site, I put in my address and added it to my cart and looked like it was going to go through.

I canceled it after I saw they charge you to install a wireless modem/router *$39.99* plus *$19.99* for the tech visit.

No fees if you call.

In fact your bill will be lowered since for the first year you get a discount. I'm saving $30 a month compared to last month with just Turbo.

So twice the speed and $30 less each month. Gets even better. I now have digital cable too (with 2 cables boxes) and still $30 cheaper than last month.

So basically I got a free upgrade to digital cable and free upgrade to Extreme. Awesome!
war59312

4 edits

war59312

Hey,

Here are some tips that me and my installer needed during the install.

I'm going to assume you have your own router already setup like you wish and want to use it instead of your new Ubee router.

I'm also assuming you were given the Ubee DDW3611 gateway router.

This one: »www.ubeeinteractive.com/ ··· gateway/

Some people are getting the Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard: »www.motorola.com/Consume ··· ay-US-EN

Let's begin..

1.) Disconnect all your personal LAN equipment before the installer arrives. You need to do this so you can verify your new modem you are getting is working correctly.

2.) When you tech installer arrives make sure your account has been activated for your new Ubee router.

If you do NOT do this you will NOT have access to the Internet, only local LAN access.

3.) Once your new Ubee router has been activated and up and running you need to open this page in your web browser:

»192.168.0.1/TlModeChange.asp

It will ask you for the user name and password.

Here in Columbia, SC they are using this master account:

User Name: Last eight of ubee mac address
Password: c0nf1gur3m3

If that does not work then try:

User Name: user
Password: user

Note: User account does NOT have access to all pages, use the master account above if you can.

This is should open the "Tools - Operation Mode" page of your new Ubee router. Click "enable" for "Bridge mode" and then click the "Apply" button at the bottom.

Your new Ubee router should now reboot.

4.) Reboot your own router now so that it will reestablish it's WAN connection.

My Dlink DIR-655 failed the first few times, but managed to fix itself after about 5 minutes of trying.

Your Internet should now be working correctly. You should be getting your correct private address from your own router.

5.) If you need to change the config of your new Ubee router you now use 100.1 instead of 0.1.

So for example I am using 192.168.1.0/24 for my Dlink router so the new router page for my new Ubee router is:

»192.168.100.1/TlModeChange.asp

So just changed from 0 to 100 for third octet.

6.) Average max upload speed after an hour of around 600KB/s for me. All I was doing was uploading a copy of Ubuntu via uTorrent. Nothing else downloading or uploading at the time.

I recommend setting a max upload rate of 300KB/s so that you can still download at your max rate at the same time. At least that is my experience thus far.

7.) Do NOT click "Operation Config" under "modem".

It causes the modem to reboot. Ugly bug!

8.) Looks like TWC is using old firmware for Ubee DDW3611. I have "8.6.2007". Latest build is "8.6.2009" according to Ubee tech support.

It's listed as "Software Version" on the main Ubee page.

You can try calling RR Tech Support at 25-CABLE and try to get to Tier 3 tech support and have them update it for you.

Good luck! I have failed twice now. First time the girl refused to transfer me to Tier 3 (clearly over seas). The second time, I got hung up on within the first minute of explaining my issue to RR Tech Support for the second time.

Ugh! So good luck! Anyone succeed? Please let me know. Thanks!

Well I hope that helps someone.

Take Care,

Will
XCore
Irmo, SC

XCore

TWC Columbia, SC - All day appt. stood me up...mooovin on

So I finally did get someone to take my order and set an appointment. A Saturday and had to be all day appt. but I was anxious so went ahead with it.

8:05 pm I called to ask what the deal is. "Sorry bout dat..." same ole BS TWC is always dishing out. This is not even the first time they have stood me up with a no-show and no-call so that combined with their notorious service I wasn't even surprised when the rep hung up on me when I asked to speak to a supervisor.

No more. Done with them. Already axed cable for DTV last year because half the time HD and/or premium services were "Not available at this time" and went to magic jack a few months ago just because always have a cell phone nearby and now Internet is gone! Ordered Uverse this morning and don't give a flip if it's half the speed of RR. Not getting more money from me.
war59312
Elgin, SC

war59312

That sucks!

Been there many times with TWC myself. Miracle they even showed up.

They NEVER did call my cell phone like they said they would. They call the account holder's main phone number instead. Even after I have told them 4 times to call my cell phone.

Missed 2 appointments because of their lazy asses and had to wait a week both times.

Yea it sucks but at least I finally got it and it's has proven to be very stable thus far.

And about their HD channel. Yeah their HD box sucks! Both of mine pull that crap 80% of the time if I hit the "select" button.

And how, the power blinks off for 2 seconds and it has to reset as expected. What I did not expect is that it takes 10 minutes for the POS box to come back on. Ugh!
war59312

war59312

Re: Time Warner Cable Wideband Internet Coming To Columbia, SC

New Wide-band page:

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· nternet/
bhlonewolf
join:2010-07-19
Greensboro, NC

bhlonewolf

Funny comparison to Verizon at the bottom, neglecting to mention that the Verizon plan is 50/20, vs TWC 50/5. I realize most users are concerned with download only, but still, typical TWC crap.
war59312
Elgin, SC

war59312

Indeed, first thing I noticed too.
XCore
Irmo, SC

XCore to war59312

to war59312

Re: TWC Columbia, SC - All day appt. stood me up...mooovin on

COLUMBIA, SC - A friend of mine at TWC convinced me to let him get their installers out here to put in Wideband. Since they were able to make it out 3 days before Uverse I said sure.

They showed up! YAY! So now were half way home right?

They installed the Ubee DDW3611. I am subscribed to 50x5. While the tech was here I was getting a consistent 28x4 but not to worry as the tech promptly informed me that 50x5 meant "Up to" 50x5. I promptly informed him that "Up to" didn't bother me as long as they could hit it once in a while so we'll see how it goes over a few days.

So we maintain 20ishx3ish for the next few hours before we lose all connectivity. After 15 minutes or so I call tech support. Gonna have to roll a truck out...Tomorrow between 5 and 7.

Revert to my Verizon LTE for the remainder of the day.

Next morning we miraculously have RR service again. Nice! Wait, it's running at about 3x2. Remains that way throughout the day so hopefully when the tech comes out he'll find something and we'll be all better.

7:15pm and still no tech. Call tech support, "...oh, well, the tech in the area cancelled that appointment because it was an area-wide issue that he fixed...". Hrmmm...First of all, how about SOME kind of notification that nobody is coming and second MY issue is not resolved! "...I can have a tech there tomorrow between..." STOP!

THIS is the crap that gives TWC such a notorious reputation for service. They have NO CLUE how to please a customer. They think as long as they have the product that how they deliver it is irrelevant.

So at this moment I have no tech support appointment and Uverse will be here Monday.

BTW: The TWC demark is 20' from the underground tap in my 5 year old, patio-home neighborhood. My coax lines are all new as of 9 months ago and the only coax from TWC is used for RR.

war59312
Elgin, SC

war59312

Bummer!

Upload is slow atm because I am uploading a file to a friend.
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

45612019 (banned) to XCore

to XCore

Have fun with your bandwidth cap!
war59312
Elgin, SC

war59312

Um, there is no cap, but yeah OK I will, thank you!
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

45612019 (banned)

Note how my reply was to XCore. Not to you.

XCore stated he was going to AT&T U-verse because of Time Warner's behavior. As if AT&T is somehow going to be an improvement.

AT&T DOES have a bandwidth cap.
war59312
Elgin, SC

war59312

OH my bad. Yea!

This forum software sucks!! Whole site needs an update.

Ugh, I clicked the button to reply to you and it shows replying to me. POS!

TWC
@rr.com

TWC to 45612019

Anon

to 45612019

Yeah, thank goodness Time Warner doesn't have a bandwidth cap. Now that Wideband is being offered in the Carolinas, I wonder when they are going to up the regular Turbo upload speeds from 512 kbps to 1 mbps. For me personally, I really don't need 5 mbps upload, but 512 kbps is really low and 1 mbps would be optimal for me. The 1 mbps upload is supposed to automatically be implemented for all turbo customers with the implementation of wideband. It has yet to happen here, so its a question of when.
war59312
Elgin, SC

4 edits

war59312

Standard RR is suppose to be 10/1 instead of 7/640. And turbo is suppose to be 16/2.

I had 16/2 when I was on turbo for close to two years (since Oct. 9th, 2008 in fact) before I switched over to Extreme (30/5) on July 18th 2011 (was suppose to be one week prior on July 11th but they failed to show up let alone call, ugh!).

You had to call and ask for it, it was not advertised, but was a free upgrade (if you already had turbo) since Oct. 2008. And yes it included PowerBoost too, so for first 30 seconds or so I was getting around 25mbps.

You should already have 640 instead of 512.

Might not seem like munch but 16KB/s helps.

Note: Some areas near Columbia are only getting 15/1 for Turbo instead of 16/2 but the majority is 16/2 according to my sources.

But yeah my Dad downtown is still on 7/640 even though today I saw on WISTV it's suppose to be 10/1 today.

So I rebooted the modem a few times but no luck. Did not have time today to call. Will try on Monday.

I'm sure »www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· ing.html will be updated soon.
war59312

war59312

Great news!!

Crashing on Cable Modem Operation Configuration page has been fixed and now back on firmware 8.6.2009.

Cyrisneo
@rr.com

Cyrisneo

Anon

Florence, SC is supposed to be turned up today. From what I have been told by sales. Thinking about calling to see if they will upgrade me.
XCore
Irmo, SC

XCore to war59312

to war59312
I did go with Uverse but have also kept the RR Wideband live so I can decide which to keep long-term.

When it comes to customer service, yes, I would agree they both have much room for improvement.

In the end it's all about who has the most stable as long as they are relatively close in speed.

I recently downgraded the RR wideband to 30x5 because they could never hit the 50Mb "promise". After much ado they finally just said "...it's UP TO 50Mb..." to which I say no problem but you have to at least hit that once in a while even you can't sustain it.

As for the downgrade, I had to go to the regional cable office to see a friend of mine to get it done because three phone reps hung up on me three different times as they said, "... no problem sir, let me just pull up your account information...". It was obvious they were about to lose $50/mo off their quota for the day so they didn't want to take the call.

NOW THE DIRT: During my visit into the bowels of the regional office in West Columbia off Platt Springs Rd. I had the opportunity to visit with some dirt-under-the-nails, hard working guys who are out there getting the job done and I learned a few things and confirmed a few I already suspected.
1 - DOCSYIS 3 is the bane of their existence currently. It's a 24/7 nightmare because of all the problems.
2 - As always, early adopters are the paying testers
3 - My particular node has long been the subject of complaints from within the company that there are far too many customers on it and the techs are constantly being rolled out to do "checks" when there's absolutely nothing that can be done 90% of the time.

Learned lots more but gotta get back to the old grindstone.