share rss forum feed

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
reply to MrHappy316

Re: IP-DSLAM FAQ

If you can get IPDSLAM ADSL2+ U-Verse, you will keep Fast Path.

If you end up getting FTTN VDSL2 U-Verse, you will lose the Fast Path and be switched to Interleave

mrexcelion

join:2008-08-06

Hi DSLR, I had a question about IP-DSLAM:

Speed tests - I'm looking to get more out of my slow DSL line, and wanted to see some real speed tests from those with 3mb or 6mb DSL IP-DSLAM. I see that there's no ATM overhead so that must help some. Not sure if there's no PPPOE overhead too. With the 6mb connection, I normally would get around 5.12-5.20, and with 3mb I'd get around 2.58-2.60. Trying to justify the switchover if I could see how much of a speed increase people are getting in the real world.

Thanks a bunch!

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

When I had "normal" Dry Loop ADSL Elite, I consistently got about 5.1/5.2 Mbps down. With Dry Loop U-Verse ADSL2+ IPDSLAM Elite, I get a pretty consistent 5.5-5.6 Mbps down.

So there is still some overhead, but it is not as much as the ATM/PPPoE traditional ADSL product

I don't quite understand why users aren't "Over Provisioned" to account for Overhead -- instead of provisioning Elite service right at 6 Mbps -- provision it @ 6.5 Mbps, to allow for the Overhead loss, so the user experience ends up much closer to the consistent advertised speed. Oh well.

mrexcelion

Thank you. While I would have expected closer to the advertised rate, that's still a sizable increase

mrexcelion

1 edit

Hi, I had one other question regarding this service:

Does it require an active home phone service like traditional DSL?

Edit: Well, I see you're calling yours Dry Loop, which would mean it wouldn't need an active phone service. The one that says available for me is:

"AT&T U-verse Internet Pro - D 3.0"

Is that the Dry Loop service? If all versions of this IP-DSLAM don't require an active phone line, this might be a good question to add to the FAQ for people.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4

No active phone line required.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to mrexcelion

said by mrexcelion:

Does it require an active home phone service like traditional DSL?

U-Verse IPDSLAM does not require POTS/Active Phone Service

Then again, neither does traditional ADSL service. I had Dry Loop "normal" ADSL for a couple years before getting U-Verse ADSL2+ IPDSLAM Dry Loop