All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mulambo187
join:2008-06-18
North York, ON

mulambo187

Check your Ontario Bandwidth Usage (Cable)

When/Where can I check my usage for cable internet in Toronto?

I have 300GB/month and don't want to go over!!!!!
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot

As mentioned MANY times before, there is no usage meter for cable.

However, there are plenty of free utilities. Generally they won't look at you if you're a couple over, however if you truly think you'll go way over 300GB, upgrade to the unlimited. Help TSI out.

You can also check your router, some routers have bandwidth counters built in.

»lmgtfy.com/?q=free+bandw ··· +utility
mulambo187
North York, ON

mulambo187

Thanks, but I don't need another free bandwidth monitoring utility, I was hoping for a website run by teksavvy.

Are you aware of the calculation that is used? It looks to me from googling 300GB is more a suggestion then anything else. I am ok with this, 300GB is plenty, but if say one exotic month I decided to grab 1TB, I would like to at least know the date range that usage falls in so I would know when to slow down my usage, ie June 18 - July 17 or is it June 1-30, July 1 - 31 etc.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

said by mulambo187:

Are you aware of the calculation that is used?

What calculation?
No one is monitoring it currently.
If there ever is, it will most likely be the same as rogers.
Help TSI and pay for unlimited if you use more than 300GB, however, its not currently monitored if you go over because rogers does not forward that information to teksavvy probably because rogers has no real wholesale/tpia department lol.
KKaWing
join:2007-06-14

KKaWing to mulambo187

to mulambo187
Router that supports DDWRT / open source firmware. Netgear I believe also sells routers with monitors as well. Buffalo sells routers with DDWRT already installed.
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510 to mulambo187

to mulambo187
You can also check out Networx if you have a computer running Windows.
mulambo187
North York, ON

mulambo187 to KKaWing

to KKaWing
yea man im using tomato, gets the job done. Here's some data

Last 30 Days (2011-06-19 to 2011-05-21)
Down 23.10 GB
Up 1.78 GB
Total 24.89 GB

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to mulambo187

Premium Member

to mulambo187
said by mulambo187:

Thanks, but I don't need another free bandwidth monitoring utility, I was hoping for a website run by teksavvy.

Don't rely solely on your ISP for usage monitoring. A usage module at the router is your best bet.

Mike

ummmms
@cgocable.net

ummmms to mulambo187

Anon

to mulambo187
said by mulambo187:

Why would you want something like that. If they have a website you can check that means they are then monitoring and that means you have to stay under 300GB. Right now you are FREEEEEE.

TSI James
TSI James
Premium Member
join:2008-02-22

TSI James

Premium Member

said by ummmms :

said by mulambo187:

Why would you want something like that. If they have a website you can check that means they are then monitoring and that means you have to stay under 300GB. Right now you are FREEEEEE.

We can actually see your usage on our back-end but we are just having problems updating our tool to show cable usage atm.

Until we get it up, we do suggest using your router or a tool if you wish to see your bandwidth usage till we can get our tool up and running.

Dark581
@teksavvy.com

Dark581 to mulambo187

Anon

to mulambo187
Is the bandwidth calculation on a 1st to 30th basis monthly or is the calculation between billing period for cable. I read that it is the former but I want to verify.
Thank you : )
gruntlord6
join:2010-06-10
Barrie, ON

gruntlord6

said by Dark581 :

Is the bandwidth calculation on a 1st to 30th basis monthly or is the calculation between billing period for cable. I read that it is the former but I want to verify.
Thank you : )

It is balanced every two months. If you go over one month and under the next, it balances out.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to TSI James

Premium Member

to TSI James
Just to be clear, we can only currently monitor the Videotron usage.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

said by JenSuisUn:

Just to be clear, we can only currently monitor the Videotron usage.

Thats what I thought.
I guess Rogers is on the honor system for now.

PlatooN
join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON

PlatooN to mulambo187

to mulambo187
i'm pretty sure (without having seen the TSI side of things obv)

that since rogers hold so much control over the lines / setup, that really all TSI gets to touch is traffic, with no real way of identifying what user it came from. the "package" of 300Gb is probably based on a calculation TSI did on what they will be owing rogers per user.

Tracking by IP is useless due to non statics provided by a DHCP tsi can't touch. I don't think MAC level is possible since TSI is on the other side of DHCP. Without some kind of SNMP access i don't see how it would be possible.

There for, don't screw TSI by going 300 if you know you will blow that out of the water, and TSI can keep selling us cable at a WAY better price.

(feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)

kuddles
join:2011-05-02
Ottawa, ON

kuddles to mulambo187

to mulambo187
Most tools can't properly track anything other than the computer it's running on and a lot of my content is being streamed directly to my PS3. Also, my router isn't compatible with DD-WRT or Tomato.

So I guess I'm out of luck right now although I personally doubt I'm going over 300 GB a month anyways. (Even when I maxed out both my cap and my maximum overage fee on Rogers a few times and then decided to download as much as I could think of, I hit around the 250 mark.)

DarkStar33
join:2008-03-27
Toronto, ON

DarkStar33 to mulambo187

to mulambo187
If you think you are going over you might just want to up your plan.

Sure its marginally more expensive then capped but that extra cash goes towards people who are trying to make the internet situation in Canada better instead of worse.

How much does $12 buy you with Bell/Rogers?
nhs ice
join:2006-08-16
Toronto, ON

nhs ice to mulambo187

to mulambo187
with $12 from robber. You may get a car and 2 miles driven allowance .
Expand your moderator at work