All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
rabbitears
join:2002-02-21
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears to heybob

to heybob

Re: 5660 upgrade notes! Opinions please!!

You are 100% correct on the 1488/1489 vs the 232 chips.
Even better, use the 233. It has the caps built in.

I like to use the ACPE which has the 400k+ rate vs the slower chips. The price difference is mere pennies but the performance is worth much more. The 232 & 233 chips are great, talk about swiss army knife, it's amazing all the neat stuff in your house you can talk to through your S & P ports!

A word of EXTREME CAUTION! Hexedit, as you noted above, is a BAD program. Freeware, you get what you pay for! By DEFAULT, it comes up in INSERT mode.

(I see no use in INSERTING code into an image file, like a eeprom flash memory or the like, that's STUPID. You can not just INSERT stuff, everthing gets SHIFTED and then NOTHING will work, the file will be rendered USELESS. Insert mode is for WORD PROCESSING, not for editing HEX files. If you have a file, be it a flash memory file or even a program file, you can't do stuff like that.
I wrote the guy who wrote the program and he just told me it was too bad for me, and he even threw a few insults in too. I told him he needs to redo his program so that it comes up in OVERWRITE instead of INSERT mode and he pretty much told me to take a leap... )

I printed the instructions out for editing the IMG file on PAPER.
I stood the printout up on my copy stand and began typing away. I did not look at the screen or keyboard as I typed, I looked at the paper. When I was through typing, I then looked at the screen. I had typed the correct bytes into the editor and they were indeed in the correct locations.

BUT, because it was INSERT MODE by DEFAULT, it had inserted the new bytes and shifted all the other bytes off to the right, ALL data after the edit was now offset. If it had now been in insert mode and had defaulted to OVERWRITE mode, as it should have been, this wouldn't have happened.

I didn't see this happening because I was looking at the PAPER as I typed. I did not know that almost the entire image was now offset. I saved the now corrupted and badly damaged image file to disk.

I began the flash routine and almost right away I got a failure message telling me the image was corrupted and the flash had failed. KA-BOOOOOOOOM!! Big mushroom cloud!!

That was it, all the lights went solid red and it's now dead to the world. It's "looped" now, it won't get past post. Now my only hope is to JTAG into it and reflash it that way. I'm working on that and will have it figured out shortly. I'm in the process of gathering in all the datasheets for all the onboard chips and there are JTAG pins on the CPU and a few other chips.

I'm going to build a webpage in the next day or so to share with others my progress. I know I'm not the only one out there to have fried one of these puppies...

Be careful folks!!

heybob
join:2002-01-12
Rockford, MI

heybob

said by rabbitears:

I'm going to build a webpage in the next day or so to share with others my progress. I know I'm not the only one out there to have fried one of these puppies...
Be careful folks!!
Well said. I'm sorry Hexedit failed you. It edited ok for me on my XP system. I can see how you made the error. There's not a tech out there that hasn't given themselves some headaches! But hey if you get that JTAG stuff figured out, then you would have a great system for testing edited images!

Post the results and how-to's!
Bob
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears

Good work Heybob!

Good stuff you posted there, excellent pics and good info. This is the kind of stuff that makes things go a little smoother, when you can SEE what you are tying into before hand.

Glad that your upgrade went well for you. You were fortunate to notice the insert mode. I just touch typed from a copy stand and that burned me. I would have never thought in a million years that the hex editor would even have the option to insert. Well, DOH for me! I learned a hard and expensive lesson. I bought that modem from SWB and they hung it too me good so that's why I am so determined to repair it. I refuse to give up.

Here's my sucky SBC website, it's just raw so you can click and download PDF datasheets on the chips in the 5260/5660.

»pages.sbcglobal.net/2d48 ··· 5196b3c/

It'll hold until I get a permanent home on the web, been without broadband over a year since I moved, just got online saturday and they still haven't got me up to speed. Capped at 384 and even so, only getting 300/102. Needless to say I'm not very happy considering I was sold 1500/128 and am paying $50mo. for 1500/128. What a rip off. But, for now it beats that sucky dialup.

P.S. everyone, DITCH EnterNet 300, it is klonky and sucky and slow. I installed RASPPPoe and it is much faster and easier to use. EnterNet 300 was in constant conflict with my firewalls and 8 of 10 times it wouldn't run until I took them down then back up.. Nope, that's not for me.

Now I can single click and connect and have any of my proggies autoconnect on demand...

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob

said by rabbitears:

I bought that modem from SWB and they hung it too me good so that's why I am so determined to repair it. I refuse to give up.

They Stiffed you too? SBC got me on my setup... don't want to talk about the amount... :-(

Thanks for the great comments and I was at your site grabbing some PDFs. I appreciate you posting that stuff for grabs!

Good info on the EnterNet 300. I suspected it was crappy.
Once you get that modem going in router mode, you can boot all the PPPoE clients and use the one on the router!

When did you toast your modem? Before I posted? What a coincidence we both used the same editor! You must like Google too?
rabbitears
Port Neches, TX

rabbitears

said by heybob:

They Stiffed you too? SBC got me on my setup... don't want to talk about the amount... :-(

LOL!! Yep, I don't wanna even think about the amount they got me for.

When did you toast your modem? Before I posted?

I think it was over the weekend, it's all a blur now. I'd have to go back and look.

Anyway, just found and added the datasheet for U18, the MT flash memory chip. Turns out it's really a 64MEG chip! Woa! That's a hefty chip there eh??
2 Meg x 32 (512K x 32 x 4 banks)
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmm"

More to follow, there are still a few chips to dig up sheets on, the big motorola CPU and a few other support chips. I'd also like to see someone crack open a REAL (sold as) 5660 and tell us the numbers on the missing serial chip, U10, so we can get datasheets on it too and find a place to order them. I bet they can be gotten at Digikey. I'd like to see a highgrade photo (like you supplied) of the chip and the serial socket in place.

Never give up!!

Chips all run on smoke. Inside every chip is a little tiny supply of smoke that keeps it running smoothly. When you screw something up and let that little puff of smoke out of that chip it WILL quit working. That's an etched in stone fact of life..

[text was edited by author 2002-02-26 01:33:59]

azacamis
join:2000-12-16
Singapore

azacamis

heybob, you can find the help you need on 5660 here

»pov.2y.net/efficient/5660

heybob
Rockford, MI

heybob

said by azacamis:
heybob, you can find the help you need on 5660 here

»pov.2y.net/efficient/5660

Outstanding! Great site, lots of great info!
Thanks!
Bob