All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
eacheon
join:2011-06-22

eacheon

SoCal (LA) intermittant connection/outage

Road Runner connection breaks >5 times in an hour. Each time lasts for from 3 seconds to ~2 min.

First try: Clicked "Chat" option in the left hand side after logging in the expresspay account. After brief conversation I was transferred to the tech team . Some indian name "Raj" hooked up with me, in 1 minute he said he send some signal to my modem and "cleared" it. Problem totally "solved" according to him.

It broke again >3 times in the following half an hour. I have to call their support with my cell phone. This time they have me read the MAC of the modem, and then told me there's an outage posted in my area, allegedly should be gone in 1 or 2 hours.

Is this typical experience you guys have with road runner? Stunned.
isamu99
join:2004-03-10
Los Angeles, CA

isamu99

Im getting it too and it's a royal pain in the ass!

iBLoStBoY
join:2002-11-29
Carson, CA

iBLoStBoY to eacheon

to eacheon
I am getting really slow speeds in 90745

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

Have you tried using the Network Status link here? It used to be possible to link to that directly at the Roadrunner help page, but they (TWC) have hidden that for a long time now. The link here at dslreports will bring up the long list of work scheduled or partial or complete outages. Today (6/23/2011) I had a brief loss of internet connectivity and when I got it back, I checked and found that there was work scheduled in my area that could cause a loss of connectivity. This did not affect cable TV, just the internet.

The list may generate more questions than it answers, but sometimes it seems to have an explanation that you will not get from tech support.

NYC
@mindspring.com

NYC to eacheon

Anon

to eacheon
Same problem in NYC. A tech is coming out to fix it. Unfortunately it doesn't happen all the time.

When it happens, there is a very high amount of bit errors and the modem won't resync. But like now, the Bit errror rate is down to 0.00% as per the modem diagnostics and it is working fine.

For me the node is all fiber optics then theres coaxial and amplifiers between the system to where I am so its not that much coaxial to fix the problem. Hopefully will be resolved.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

Speeds / reliability isn't bad here in SoCal.

Just not sure how the modem shows channel DOCSIS 1.x at times and DOCSIS 2.0 at others.

RF Parameters
Downstream
Freq/Power: 705.000 MHz -3 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 39 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 30.700 MHz 50 dBmV
Channel Type: DOCSIS 2.0 (ATDMA)
Symbol Rate: 5120 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM16
isamu99
Los Angeles, CA

isamu99

Im getting the problem again and I"ve reset my modem like 10 times already!

sodium
@rr.com

sodium to eacheon

Anon

to eacheon
I have been having many problems with my connection recently, too. The most notable ones are the sudden increase or decrease in my download speeds and my modem losing connection/sync for a few seconds whenever I stream HD movies through Netflix, play video games or download other things. It's really frustrating because I game online a lot and that three second disconnect often results in me being kicked from the game.

Los Angeles area as well.
elear
join:2001-12-13
Los Angeles, CA

elear to eacheon

to eacheon
I've been having the same issues. I'm in the 90046 area of Los Angeles, and have noticed the problems for almost 2 weeks.

We are NOT alone! I have some friends that have been resetting their modem every day for the last week.

My modem just shows two steady lights -- in lieu of the normal set of indicators -- for a period of 2 minutes to 20 minutes.

I decided to check with neighbors -- using Time-Warner in my area; they are also experiencing intermittent outages.

I have called TWarner three or four times and get a different answer/story each time I call.

I called last night, and the T/W rep said, "... there is work being done in your area..." When I asked what kind of work was being done, the gal said they were converting to DOCSIS 4 (WTF????) . I decided to see where this would go and the gal said that I shouldn't be using my internet connection from 12am to 5am, and that the interruptions would continue through Sept. When I asked the gal where I could find the information online, she said that the info she was giving me was not published or displayed on any public web page. (hmmmm....)

The stories seem to be getting more and more creative and inventive. (Try looking up DOCSIS 4 on Google).

I personally know four Time Warner users, in Los Angeles, that are having the same/similar issues.
Aaron M
join:2002-03-01
Monrovia, CA

Aaron M to eacheon

to eacheon
For the past month or so TWC/RR has been doing a TON of work in the Los Angeles area.

»help.rr.com/HMSLogic/net ··· tus.aspx
isamu99
Los Angeles, CA

isamu99 to elear

to elear
elear thanks for posting that. That certainly sheds some light on the fact more than a few people are having these issues. elear if you don't me asking, what part of L.A. are you in? I am right near the Crenshaw and 10Fwy area, not far from downtown.
elear
join:2001-12-13
Los Angeles, CA

elear

I'm near the Hollywood Bowl.

JCH
@kp.org

JCH to elear

Anon

to elear
Yep. EXACT problem, time frame, answers in my building on 5th and Broadway downtown.

Sigh. Too bad my GFs work pays for it otherwise I'd be more pissed.

Achtzehn
join:2002-04-14
Los Angeles, CA

Achtzehn to eacheon

to eacheon
I had intermittent outages yesterday in the Lincoln Heights area.

After about 6 hours, my modem (webstar DPC2100R2) booted back up with a new cicsco-branded firmware. I guess they were pushing new firmware to everyone with old modems or something.

Valley
@rr.com

Valley

Anon

in the valley and have been having this problem forever its so annoying.
littlemac6x
join:2009-09-23

littlemac6x to eacheon

to eacheon
Getting the same in 90011. I don't mind this if it means that it'll help with the usual congestion problems in my area during the evening.

BotenAnna
Premium Member
join:2011-07-19
Fullerton, CA

BotenAnna to eacheon

Premium Member

to eacheon
Yeah we've had some weird issues the past couple of days with intermittent disconnected down in North Orange County (Fullerton)

I wouldn't mind if it meant they were doing some upgrades, but I haven't heard of any happening!
NiteSn0w
join:2010-12-24

NiteSn0w to en103

to en103
en103, Your upstream signal level is high remove a splitter that isn't in use or call twc and have them do it it should fix your problems

Stiggy
@mindspring.com

Stiggy

Anon

I got super slow connections for the last few months (this month july is the worst). I am in 91335 (Sherman Way / White Oak) and twcable isnt able to figure it out. I have timewarner / earthlink service.

The tech came by changed the router, fixed the cable lines (tightened nuts) and then finally said "looks to be a local regional issue" and then says his next job is down the street for teh same problem.

To give you an idea how slow it has been since May.. In may I was getting 3mb/s down. Right now I am getting sub 1mb /s down. If I am lucky about 1.5mb/s down.

Upload is fine (0.88-94kb/s), download sucks. I cant run voip, forget netflix. Its fast at 4am. This is horrible.

Initially I thought its a earthlink issue, my gf has timewarner in NoHo and its fine. But it looks to me its a TWC issue.
RamsteinUSA
join:2007-02-15
Scio, OR

RamsteinUSA to BotenAnna

to BotenAnna

had to call RR and have them do a reset, when the Internet took a dump over an hour ago...
it's still a bit crappy.. but at least it's back online..

BotenAnna
Premium Member
join:2011-07-19
Fullerton, CA

BotenAnna

Premium Member

said by BotenAnna:

Yeah we've had some weird issues the past couple of days with intermittent disconnected down in North Orange County (Fullerton)

I wouldn't mind if it meant they were doing some upgrades, but I haven't heard of any happening!

...to be fair, soon after this I found out that 50/5 is available (and upgraded to it). ;D So maybe it was related??