how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rock_Lobster

join:2011-06-22
Streamwood, IL

WOW connectivity issues even with new equipment

I switched to WOW 6 or 7 months ago after Comcast decided to charge me MORE for removing the cable TV portion of my package.

I used WOW's equipment for the majority of this time and it started out okay, but after a few months, I started having random disconnects and lag during games. After about a week of this, I called up WOW with the issue and they suggested me upping my plan to the 8mb connection. So I did, and guess what, still had connection issues. I dealt with it for a while, but a few weeks ago it seemed to get worse. Disconnects every 5 to 10 minutes for up to 20 seconds. Killing any online gaming or streaming I tried to do. I had my buddy who knows more about IT stuff try and fix it and he suggested maybe purchasing some better equipment.

I was using the modem that WOW supplied me with and I bought my own router. My buddy got mew two devices. A Motorola SB5101U modem and a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router.

I was told by the WOW service rep that the Motorola modem would work fine on their system. We hooked them up and had them switch my connection to the new modem and it seemed to work, or so I thought. Later on that evening I started having the same issues, lag every 5 or 10 minutes, can't load new pages, can't do anything till it goes away. We tried hooking my PC and Xbox directly to the modem in case we got a lemon router, but that wasn't the case.

I've called WOW customer support twice in the past two weeks since I got the new stuff. The first tech had me try removing the splitter from the connection to the cable outlet and replacing the coax cable. So now I just have the cable from the wall to my modem. Tried that, didn't fix anything. The second call I made, I explained everything so far (random disconnects every 5 min, new equipment, etc) and they sent out a tech the next day.

"Finally!", I thought, maybe they'll find the problem. NOPE, the guy found nothing wrong apparently and suggested that I bump my plan up to the next faster package. I'm sorry, but no, this cannot possibly be an issue with the speed of my connection. My neighbor has the same exact plan with WOW and his connection is just fine, no issues what so ever.

Anyone have any suggestions? Should I threaten to cancel and go with Comcast again? Can I request a new line to be ran (they ran a new one when it first got setup)?

sllywhtboy

join:2001-11-13
Madison Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Speakeasy
·WOW Internet and..
·Comcast

if everything checks out from the pole to the outside of your house, check grounds.

measure the voltage from the shield/casing to the ground, when everything is connected and disconnected.

measure at every splitter point. disconnect every device one by one and measure at its entry point too.

as little as 5v on the ground can cause cable modem havoc.

Rock_Lobster

Streamwood, IL

Thanks for the reply.

How would I go about doing that. Would I just need a multimeter? I'm not much of an electrician, heh.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:34
reply to Rock_Lobster

If you can provide me your modem cable mac address, account number or phone number on your account, I can take a look at your modem and see what I can find. This to me sounds like a more localized issue, and not something wide spread. Any of the information above will get me your account and I can look into it. Send it to me in a private message if you'd prefer not to post the info publicly. Also, if you're using your own modem, there's not as much I can look at, and I may not be able to look at it at all.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

Rock_Lobster

Streamwood, IL

Yesterday we did some troubleshooting and determined that the issue is either the line coming into the house, or the modem itself.

I hooked up the cable directly to the ground block for the WOW connection and I still had the same problems. Had a new RG6 coax cable and new ethernet cable too.

We called WOW and while they were on the line, the issue occurred a few times but the guy said he didn't see anything and the signal to the modem looked fine by him. He determined that if everything looks good on that end, then it must be the line coming to the house. We scheduled a tech to come run a new line on Sunday. I'll post the results here. Hope that resolves it!

RockLobsBud

@comcast.net
reply to WOW_Dan

Hiya, I've been helping my friend troubleshoot this issue and I'm the one who talked to WOW on Thursday night. I was told by the support tech that someone would be sent out to install a new line on my friends house on Sunday around 10AM.

I called him up Sunday afternoon he said the guy looked at the cable that was already ran, said that it all looked fine and said his 8mbps package wasn't fast enough and that he should upgrade.

Aside from the fact that his solution is absolutely retarded, he didn't even do what he was called out there to do!

So, we've called 3 times about the issue, had two techs come out and do nothing AND try and make him spend more money for a service that hasn't been working correctly. I honestly have no idea where to go from here other than suggesting he cancel and go with comcast. At least comcast worked flawlessly while he had it.

TL;DR - WOW didn't install a line, pissed off at them, hope WOW_Dan can help otherwise going to comcast.

/rant

As a side note to add, while I was there, I finally got to see what my buddy was experiencing. While gaming or streaming anything, it'll lock up the game and kick him out of the session completely. It doesn't sign him out of Xbox live, just disconnects from the game and doesn't allow him back in. For streaming stuff, it will stall the show/movie for 20 - 30 seconds before it resumes. This happened consistently every 5 to 10 minutes.

Also I noticed that the WOW cable line coming to the house ran parallel to another cable, perhaps the power line? Would this affect his signal in any way? I had him PM the account info to WOW_Dan, so hopefully he can maybe find something.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

I took a look at RockLobster's modem, and the levels look really good actually. It's possible there's nothing wrong with the drop to the house, but the numbers I see here don't really tell me the whole story. I saw 2 CPE devices on that modem, one was a Microsoft Device (guessing xbox 360) and one I was unable to determine by the MAC address. I went ahead and assigned a new IP address to the Xbox MAC address to see if that helps the situation. I also changed the config file of the modem from a generic cable modem config file to the Motorola specific config file we have. Between those 2 changes, I'd like to see if it makes any difference. If Microsoft device's MAC is not the one used normally let me know, and I can change the correct one.
--
Dan Della Terza

Rock_Lobster

Streamwood, IL

I still have the issue even with those two changes . I talked to a supervisor the other day and they told me that even though the modem is brand new, the configuration could be causing problems. They said to check the configuration of my modem, but I'm not sure how to do that. Is that what you did with the new config file you installed?

Any more thoughts?

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Rock_Lobster

The configuration file on the modem is fine, I think that they were referring to the configuration of your router and wiring, there's no way for you to check the config of the modem. Could you try running some trace routes and long pings to somewhere like Yahoo (don't use Google, we have a direct peering connection to them) so I can see where any packet loss or high ping times might be happening. I want to see if the problem is on our network, or on the internet. Also, if you want to run trace routes and pings to a server on our network, you can use 64.233.207.96. If you can run some of those tests and send them to me, it might give me a better idea of what and where the problem might be.
--
Dan Della Terza

Rock_Lobster

Streamwood, IL

»winmtr.net/

Will the tool on this site work? I've used it before and it's pretty simple.

Rock_Lobster

Streamwood, IL
reply to WOW_Dan

Here's a log file from using that tool from last night. It seemed like the problem had gone away for a while, but last night it reared it's ugly head.

I did the test using www.yahoo.com as the host. I attached the log file. Lemme know if you need more information.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

If I'm reading that information correctly, your router looks like it's the problem. You're losing around the same amount to your gateway as you are on the internet pings, meaning that hop would probably be the source of the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't look like a problem on our side. Losing that much to 192.168.1.1 would cause the rest of the stats to mean nothing if the first hop is the problem.
--
Dan Della Terza

Rock_Lobster

Streamwood, IL

1 edit

I agree with what you're staying, however that doesn't explain why the problem has occurred when I don't use the router. I've plugged my Xbox directly into the cable modem and still had the issue.

What should I check for on the router? Would it just be a bad device or are there any configuration settings I can adjust to help?

I'll see if switching to my previous router makes any difference though and post the results. Thanks for your continued support.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

I would say bypass the router and run the same test when you're having problems, and get these same statistics without the router in place so we can see if there's a problem later down the line.

LordKronos

join:2002-01-02
Dearborn Heights, MI
reply to Rock_Lobster

I'd agree with Dan, but extend it to say...with that sort of loss showing up on the first hop, the problem is NO FURTHER than your router, but may be closer than the router. If you say you get those problem even with the router removed from the chain, then you have one of 2 cases:

1) There are 2 problems devices...your router AND something futher away. This is not very likely.

2) The problem is not the router, but you are looking in the wrong direction from it. The problem is in something between you and the router. Either you've got a bad hub/switch, a bad network card, a bad OS/driver installation, or you've got some other bad/misconfigured device on your local network that is saturating your LAN with traffic.

Rock_Lobster

Streamwood, IL
reply to WOW_Dan

downloadERRORLOGMODEM.txt 2,357 bytes
Sorry for the extreme delay, here's a log from my PC during a big lag session. My PC was connected directly into the modem during this. Hope this helps to identify the issue.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

When I look at that, and I see consistent loss across all hops, it honestly leads me to believe the problem is with your computer itself. I know that's probably not the answer you're looking for, but that's where the evidence is pointing. Is there any way you can test this with a different PC when this one is having a problem?

Rock_Lobster

Streamwood, IL

The first test I posted before was from my laptop connected via wireless to the router and modem. And the 2nd test that I posted today was using my PC. I've had friends/family connect to my router and have the same type of problems.

I know you're going by the numbers I provide and it's not a whole lot of information. Is there's any way to get WoW to run a new line for me (read that as, run a line and not send a guy out to say it's fine)? It's the only thing that hasn't been done.

I've had the problem on multiple systems connected to several different modem/router setups and nothing has changed. We've determined that it's not a cabling problem in the house.

If WoW doesn't want to run a new line then I'm probably just going to switch to Comcast.

sllywhtboy

join:2001-11-13
Madison Heights, MI

you sure a squirrel didn't chew through your line and now it needs to be replaced?

wowcoder

join:2010-03-04
reply to Rock_Lobster

While I understand your frustration, if the line readings are coming out fine, why would WOW spend the time/money to replace it? Especially when all the evidence you've posted on here indicates that it ISN'T the line.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Rock_Lobster

You can call and ask for a technician to come out and replace the line. I can't tell you what it's going to cost though, you will probably get charged for the truck roll. Installing a new drop is pretty quick and easy though, so it shouldn't take long once the tech is on site, as long as your yard doesn't have some crazy setup. Your best bet would be to call customer service and see if they can get that set up for you, specifically to replace the drop with a new one.
--
Dan Della Terza