heat84
DSLR Influencer
join:2004-03-11
Delray Beach, FL

heat84 to Os

to Os

Re: Good for the RIAA/MPAA

said by Os:

Good for you guys in getting what you want! I don't care anyway, your content is worthless to me. I won't download your stuff illegally, but I won't buy it either.

And every single day less and less people want your content. Enjoy protecting those copyrights on a continually worthless product!

I can't remember the last time I downloaded a movie. Its pretty much all TV that I torrent, with the occasional MP3.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by heat84:

said by Os:

Good for you guys in getting what you want! I don't care anyway, your content is worthless to me. I won't download your stuff illegally, but I won't buy it either.

And every single day less and less people want your content. Enjoy protecting those copyrights on a continually worthless product!

I can't remember the last time I downloaded a movie. Its pretty much all TV that I torrent, with the occasional MP3.

Why are you even torrenting TV? MP3? You can't fucking afford 99 cents? fucking sad.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

1 recommendation

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

Why are you even torrenting TV? MP3? You can't fucking afford 99 cents? fucking sad.

Wait a minute. If you are a cable subscriber, haven't you already paid for that content? I mean, that TV show that you missed yesterday, you already paid for the right to watch it in your subscription fee no? Why charge me even a penny more to watch it today? How many times can you charge for the same thing again and again?

Anyone but me find this greed absurd? The "sad" part is that consumers, for the most part, are so brain-washed by this corporate mind-set, that they don't realize just how ripped-off they are. So much for the AmeriKKKan IQ!

Hmmmm.... $.99 huh? Let's see. Some 40 years ago I bought this Doors album on vinyl. Then 8-track came along and I bought it again. When cassette came along, I bought it yet again (the tape got 'eaten' by the machine), and yet again, on CD (scratched now). Now you want me to pay $.99/song to have it on my computer? An album which by now, and by all rights, should be in the public domain? An album which I have already paid for 4 times? I say fuck you! I will get it free on p2p this time.

Bob

gball
Master Yoda
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
South Bend, IN

gball

Premium Member

Notice nobody has a response to this?

It's crazy people don't see it this way..I guess its okay for me to DVR the show I missed last night and watch it today but heaven forbit I want to watch it online the next day..Clearly I should pay for that even though I already paid to watch it in my cable bill..
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
said by TamaraB:

said by 88615298:

Wait a minute. If you are a cable subscriber, haven't you already paid for that content? I mean, that TV show that you missed yesterday, you already paid for the right to watch it in your subscription fee no? Why charge me even a penny more to watch it today? How many times can you charge for the same thing again and again?

Anyone but me find this greed absurd? The "sad" part is that consumers, for the most part, are so brain-washed by this corporate mind-set, that they don't realize just how ripped-off they are. So much for the AmeriKKKan IQ!

Hmmmm.... $.99 huh? Let's see. Some 40 years ago I bought this Doors album on vinyl. Then 8-track came along and I bought it again. When cassette came along, I bought it yet again (the tape got 'eaten' by the machine), and yet again, on CD (scratched now). Now you want me to pay $.99/song to have it on my computer? An album which by now, and by all rights, should be in the public domain? An album which I have already paid for 4 times? I say fuck you! I will get it free on p2p this time.

Bob

said by TamaraB:

said by 88615298:

Bob

No...you don't

You have paid for the right to view that content, not copy it or distribute in any way shape size or kind. There are several different licenses. Yours is a limited viewing license only. Much like software licenses. The program you buy may have all sorts of bells and whistles in it but in order to get those extra bells and whistles you have to pay for that level of the program. In the case of broadcast television you are at lets say level A whereas someone is licensed to distribute the content might be a level D.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

In the case of broadcast television you are at lets say level A whereas someone is licensed to distribute the content might be a level D.

I am not talking about distributing anything, I am talking about my personal right to view something I have paid to view, or listen to. Copyright law has degenerated into something it was never intended to be, and is certainly not compatible with current technology.

When I had my Akai 1/4 inch reel-to-reel tape deck, it was perfectly OK and legal for me to record play-lists on it from my records, or off the radio, (saving the vinyl from wear), and enjoy hours of uninterrupted music for my personal use. The same was true when I bought my first Laser-disk player (Sony Betamax if I recall), and subsequently made backup copies OF THE MOVIES I BOUGHT to VHS tape when that came out, because the 12 inch video disks were fragile.

Before DRM, I could rip my DVDs WHICH I PAID FOR to a hard drive and do the same. Now it seems, copyright has morphed into not so much a "copy" right, but a listening/viewing right. Soon they will want a fee for each time I play a song, or watch a movie I purchased. Greed has driven this way too far, and the backlash towards the entertainment industry is a bitch, and will certainly get worse if they continue on this path.

What I observe, is that over the years, the rights which I have always enjoyed are being taken away. Nobody likes losing something they have always had, and will find ways to retain them.

Bob
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by TamaraB:

said by BHNtechXpert:

In the case of broadcast television you are at lets say level A whereas someone is licensed to distribute the content might be a level D.

I am not talking about distributing anything, I am talking about my personal right to view something I have paid to view, or listen to. Copyright law has degenerated into something it was never intended to be, and is certainly not compatible with current technology.

When I had my Akai 1/4 inch reel-to-reel tape deck, it was perfectly OK and legal for me to record play-lists on it from my records, or off the radio, (saving the vinyl from wear), and enjoy hours of uninterrupted music for my personal use. The same was true when I bought my first Laser-disk player (Sony Betamax if I recall), and subsequently made backup copies OF THE MOVIES I BOUGHT to VHS tape when that came out, because the 12 inch video disks were fragile.

Before DRM, I could rip my DVDs WHICH I PAID FOR to a hard drive and do the same. Now it seems, copyright has morphed into not so much a "copy" right, but a listening/viewing right. Soon they will want a fee for each time I play a song, or watch a movie I purchased. Greed has driven this way too far, and the backlash towards the entertainment industry is a bitch, and will certainly get worse if they continue on this path.

What I observe, is that over the years, the rights which I have always enjoyed are being taken away. Nobody likes losing something they have always had, and will find ways to retain them.

Bob

You've got this all twisted. Nobody is saying that you can't make your own playlists and play the music or video you LEGALLY own anywhere you want. You cannot however take that work and distribute to friends or on the internet. Nobody is stopping you from doing any of that unless you own an Apple product.

DRM is a thing of the past...we're not quite there yet but we're getting there but it's going to take a bit of social responsibility in the meantime. You can rip your dvds to use on home media system and not violate the law. Where you run into trouble is when you share it on the net with 10000 other people.

Thats the problem the RIAA/MPAA have. They could care less what you do with that media in your own home.

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

winsyrstrife

Premium Member

Hmmm...so there is an agreement in the fact that Bob should be able to have a copy of a television episode available to him, since he already paid for viewing privileges to that episode via his cable bill.

Where the problem lies, is the method Bob uses to attain a copy of this television episode, which is via P2P. Since most models of this design require sharing on some level, Bob is participating in the illegal distribution aspect of this debate.

Am I understanding correctly?

Now, what about Usenet? There is no required peer relationship in this model. If Bob had downloaded the television episode, he's already paid for viewing privileges to, via Usenet, would that be considered acceptable?

heat84
DSLR Influencer
join:2004-03-11
Delray Beach, FL

heat84

said by winsyrstrife:

Hmmm...so there is an agreement in the fact that Bob should be able to have a copy of a television episode available to him, since he already paid for viewing privileges to that episode via his cable bill.

Where the problem lies, is the method Bob uses to attain a copy of this television episode, which is via P2P. Since most models of this design require sharing on some level, Bob is participating in the illegal distribution aspect of this debate.

Am I understanding correctly?

Now, what about Usenet? There is no required peer relationship in this model. If Bob had downloaded the television episode, he's already paid for viewing privileges to, via Usenet, would that be considered acceptable?

Another thing that's assumed is that pirates would buy the products that are in the commercials they're missing. I for one would not. I never buy anything that's advertised on TV unless I'm specifically looking to buy something. So the advertisers lose money with me whether I watch on TV or not. If don't by the products being advertised, I shouldn't be allowed to watch TV?

I assume the Usenet question is sarcastic, but if it isn't, NSP's don't give part of their revenue to the AA's.