Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert to Chiyo

Premium Member

to Chiyo

Re: Suspected = guilty no matter what

Not defending anyone here but through deep packet inspection they have the ability to determine if the files you are downloading fit the signature of a pirated file with little to no effort. I have no problems with them targeting pirated content (movies, music) for this specific effort simply because it is theft and there is no denying that part and if you need to send a legit file to a friend there are far more appropriate ways to do so anyway.

Other forms of P2P traffic should be excluded however and the industry does have the way to identify which is which and I won't entertain excuses from them claiming otherwise because I know better first hand. Now I realize you P2P purests will cry foul over my statement and I'm prepared to deal with it so flame on boyz

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

Not defending anyone here but through deep packet inspection they have the ability to determine if the files you are downloading fit the signature of a pirated file with little to no effort.

Is that so? So my encrypted OpenVPN tunnel to Toronto is viewable by my local ISP? How so? For every measure there is a counter-measure. The way to stop this is not to force the square peg into a round hole, but to re-design the peg.

Attempting to force a 50 year-old business model into 21st century technology and culture, is absurd, and will certainly fail.

BTW, it was DPI which prompted me to go VPN, not piracy. If you start aiming binoculars at my windows, I will put up curtains. That's just human nature.

Bob
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by TamaraB:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Not defending anyone here but through deep packet inspection they have the ability to determine if the files you are downloading fit the signature of a pirated file with little to no effort.

Is that so? So my encrypted OpenVPN tunnel to Toronto is viewable by my local ISP? How so? For every measure there is a counter-measure. The way to stop this is not to force the square peg into a round hole, but to re-design the peg.

Attempting to force a 50 year-old business model into 21st century technology and culture, is absurd, and will certainly fail.

BTW, it was DPI which prompted me to go VPN, not piracy. If you start aiming binoculars at my windows, I will put up curtains. That's just human nature.

Bob

I wasn't talking about VPN's at all...wasn't even part of the discussion. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I don't blame you for using a VPN tunnel and it is well within your right to do so. Nothing is going to stop that but the masses don't do what you do and ultimately that might actually promote the growth of new business in that arena to work around it. Also there is almost always a significant performance hit when you go the VPN route partly due to technology and the other the lack of decent provider out there. For a time this will certainly be a work around for those who insist on engaging in this activity BUT for most people this will be a deterrant which is ultimately the goal. They realize they can't stop it...they just want to limit it as much as possible.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

So when lots of people upload their data to the cloud for connivence or a backup those uploading their music and video collection will get throttled? Not likely but anyone using bittorrent for anything will see the hammer come down because it's not associated with a service that skims the money off the top.

It's just fully dumb to provide a data connection they turn around and tell people they need to stick to the popular commercial websites or get flagged as a pirate.

I'm my data and my rules where it goes, if you want to snoop on my data prepare for the consequences.