Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Name that Carrier Hotel....

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

pstewart
Premium,VIP
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON
kudos:2
How about starting with a hint such as country?

battleop

USA

pstewart
Premium,VIP
Peterborough, ON
Duh! I should have figured that out when I seen the Telx sign in the one pic

I'll take a guess at 56 Marietta
--
Nexicom High Speed Internet - »www.nexicom.net/

battleop

Doh! I meant to leave that one out.

pstewart
Premium,VIP
Peterborough, ON
lol - am I close/correct?

battleop

Yea it's 56.

supergeeky

join:2003-05-09
United State
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to battleop
»/speak ··· RlbC4%3D

...just put that conduit anywhere, I guess that fire-related thingy will never need to be separated from the ceiling

»/speak ··· RlbC4%3D

...and this one, it works better with the orange installation cap still on it?

...or is that not what that is?? I see another picture with several of them?

»/speak ··· RlbC4%3D

...green is ground, red/black is your typical CO -48VDC? does the color coding mean anything? newer? all the sites I've been in the lines are all grey, and only labeled on the ends, with the exception of ground always being green.

THX in advance - I'm curious/learning.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
said by supergeeky:

»/speak ··· RlbC4%3D

...just put that conduit anywhere, I guess that fire-related thingy will never need to be separated from the ceiling

You forget about the depth illusion in a picture. Chances are those conduits are not actually right against the ceiling.

»/speak ··· RlbC4%3D

...and this one, it works better with the orange installation cap still on it?

...or is that not what that is?? I see another picture with several of them?

Not real sure what that is, could be intended to work that way. Might not even be fire related.

»/speak ··· RlbC4%3D

...green is ground, red/black is your typical CO -48VDC? does the color coding mean anything? newer? all the sites I've been in the lines are all grey, and only labeled on the ends, with the exception of ground always being green.

THX in advance - I'm curious/learning.

Green usually is ground but as you said sometimes it's all the same jacket color with indicators on the ends. Obviously doesn't help when trying to identify it mid span. In a DC environment, red is usually positive with black being negative. Not sure how it applies with the source voltage being negative in the first place. It may also not be -48VDC but +48VDC since this isn't a CO.

Either way, I see a lot more red than black up there. Chances are the red is positive with a few common blacks for negative, maybe one per row or something? You also wouldn't need as many grounds as you do positive power cables and they can't share with the negative cables since grounds in this case they don't get tied back to the negative/neutral like they would in a home AC environment.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

2 recommendations

said by JoelC707:

In a DC environment, red is usually positive with black being negative.

In Europe, Blue is neg and Black is pos. Go figure.

"In Soviet Russia ..." :-P

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to battleop
LMAO!

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
reply to TomS_
LOL go figure indeed.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
Ive also seen a colour combination that seems fairly popular in Australia, and I see it in one of the photos above: red/blue.

Im not sure which is which, but I would assume that red is + and blue -.

I know one particular telco that uses this colour combination extensively. Most others I see standard red/black or European blue/black (yes, we even used that in Australia.)

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
said by TomS_:

I know one particular telco that uses this colour combination extensively. Most others I see standard red/black or European blue/black (yes, we even used that in Australia.)

i'd expect from a nation whose original population was a bunch of outlaws, convicts, and ne'er-do-wells.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
reply to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

Not real sure what that is, could be intended to work that way. Might not even be fire related.

IIRC, it is a smoke or heat detector. Those orange covers are there to keep the dust out of the detector during construction. They are removed before the fire alarm final inspection, but sometimes reinstalled after to protect the detectors until project completion.

As a T&B guy, we are often the last people in the building after completion. We occasionally find the covers still installed. Usually in out of the way locations. We just pop them off.
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

imseanbrown
Premium
join:2005-12-20
New York, NY
reply to JoelC707
The orange caps are for construction... the g'damn smoke detectors fcuk up everything, especially when there's a LOT of dust from construction or smoke from welding... they're just caps that cover the sensors for TEMPORARY purposes - LOL.... guess they forgot to remove them... whoops!

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY
reply to battleop
I remember this place long ago, before it was Telx. We had 2 Cabinets on the 3rd or 4th floor. I ran enough fiber through the troughs I knew the place better then the owners.