spc
uniqs
watice
join:2008-11-01
New York, NY

watice to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: Sad but predictable outcome

I agree with your land of the laws statement. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure your domestic privacy is protected under our current laws.

I know you didn't make this analogy, but I see a severe flaw with the building a wall so you can't see in the house statement the person in this thread had mentioned. If I were to set up an email server for a company, and I happened to own the server, does that give me the right to go through everyones email? I think there's an expectation of privacy with emails (unless otherwise noted), and I'd think there'd be an even bigger expectation of privacy with data you transmit through your ISP's network.

DPI is wrong on so many levels, and inefficient if the savvy will continue to find ways around it. I myself use a VPN on my VPS as well, but only when I'm on someone else's network. I'd expect to have some sort of privacy when using the services of an ISP that I pay [a large chunk of] money to monthly.

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo

Premium Member

So them where does the problem truly lie?

The nature of your secured content?
The design and implementation of the infrastructure it uses?
The fees you pay for said services?
The system that generates the currency you use to pay for it?

The answer may surprise you.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to watice

Premium Member

to watice
said by watice:

I agree with your land of the laws statement. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure your domestic privacy is protected under our current laws.

I know you didn't make this analogy, but I see a severe flaw with the building a wall so you can't see in the house statement the person in this thread had mentioned. If I were to set up an email server for a company, and I happened to own the server, does that give me the right to go through everyones email? I think there's an expectation of privacy with emails (unless otherwise noted), and I'd think there'd be an even bigger expectation of privacy with data you transmit through your ISP's network.

DPI is wrong on so many levels, and inefficient if the savvy will continue to find ways around it. I myself use a VPN on my VPS as well, but only when I'm on someone else's network. I'd expect to have some sort of privacy when using the services of an ISP that I pay [a large chunk of] money to monthly.

There is no privacy on the internet period...stop with that already. You are using someone elses network. They by your own user agreement may take whatever measures needed to secure that network, its users and any protections needed to insure that the company does not get into a legal situation. They aren't snooping your emails (the ISP that is) and they don't care what you transmit or receive so long as its not illegal. DPI would be used to look for specific signatures ONLY. I don't understand why people can't get this. If you guys would grab the actual issues where you are protected I would help ya out a bit but you guys are grasping at all the wrong straws. And don't ask I'm not gonna help you with the right ones...sooner or later somebody will get it.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to ctceo

Premium Member

to ctceo
said by ctceo:

So them where does the problem truly lie?

The nature of your secured content?
The design and implementation of the infrastructure it uses?
The fees you pay for said services?
The system that generates the currency you use to pay for it?

The answer may surprise you.

The answer is in the people. Our society has become riddled with those who think they can just follow the laws they want to hell with the rest. We have raised three generations of uneducated, selfish, lazy, narcissistic little brats. They think they are above the law and they care about one thing and one thing only...themselves...to hell with everyone else. That's the problem...
watice
join:2008-11-01
New York, NY

3 edits

watice to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

There is no privacy on the internet period...stop with that already. You are using someone elses network. They by your own user agreement may take whatever measures needed to secure that network, its users and any protections needed to insure that the company does not get into a legal situation.

off the top of my head here..

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El ··· vacy_Act

»www22.verizon.com/privacy/ (as it applies to me)

who on earth told you there is no privacy on the internet? you cannot intercept data that is transmitted between two endpoints unless consent is given to, or there's a warrant. it's really simple to grasp. As it stands, there is nothing in their privacy policy or my user agreement that says DPI can be used to track what i'm transferring for the purposes of identifying pirated/copyrighted material.

As far as what they "care & don't care about", I really don't care what they care & don't care about, only about what IS. And what IS, is that my ISP cannot and does not do that. That's why they participate in the 3-strikes program and the MPAA/RIAA lawyers have to rely on 3rd parties connecting to trackers/peers to send a warning letter.

OT a lil bit, but are you a DPI equipment vendor ?

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
The problem is as old as civilization itself. The Fractal Monetary Systems put in place thousands of years ago. The behavior of the society that sprung up around it is the way it is because of the system.
ctceo

ctceo to watice

Premium Member

to watice
If it profits them to do so, they will, and even if they do they don't have to tell you.

Whats one of the first things a lawyer typically tells you about defending your not-guilty plea when you choose to allow them to defend you against a charge?

The mentality of a TOS/EULA is from a perspective of litigious nature.

Just because you committed a crime doesn't mean you have to admit guilt. In fact their job is to attempt to absolve you of this charge though debate, or reduce the charges if that is not possible.