share rss forum feed

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: Good for the RIAA/MPAA

Hmmm...so there is an agreement in the fact that Bob should be able to have a copy of a television episode available to him, since he already paid for viewing privileges to that episode via his cable bill.

Where the problem lies, is the method Bob uses to attain a copy of this television episode, which is via P2P. Since most models of this design require sharing on some level, Bob is participating in the illegal distribution aspect of this debate.

Am I understanding correctly?

Now, what about Usenet? There is no required peer relationship in this model. If Bob had downloaded the television episode, he's already paid for viewing privileges to, via Usenet, would that be considered acceptable?
--
"Suddenly everything is fainting, falling from a broken ladder's rung. There's a jolt exhilarating from the phone I'm holding...
I hear the words of what I'll become, how eager the hands that reach for love."
- Blind Melon - New Life

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by winsyrstrife:

Hmmm...so there is an agreement in the fact that Bob should be able to have a copy of a television episode available to him, since he already paid for viewing privileges to that episode via his cable bill.

Where the problem lies, is the method Bob uses to attain a copy of this television episode, which is via P2P. Since most models of this design require sharing on some level, Bob is participating in the illegal distribution aspect of this debate.

Am I understanding correctly?

Now, what about Usenet? There is no required peer relationship in this model. If Bob had downloaded the television episode, he's already paid for viewing privileges to, via Usenet, would that be considered acceptable?

Another thing that's assumed is that pirates would buy the products that are in the commercials they're missing. I for one would not. I never buy anything that's advertised on TV unless I'm specifically looking to buy something. So the advertisers lose money with me whether I watch on TV or not. If don't by the products being advertised, I shouldn't be allowed to watch TV?

I assume the Usenet question is sarcastic, but if it isn't, NSP's don't give part of their revenue to the AA's.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.