spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MyHellaCar
join:2011-06-23
Grand Rapids, MI

MyHellaCar

Don't Slam the Car Door!

I wanted to post to thank everyone who posted about slamming car doors. I now have the nerve to avoid having a door slammer in my car.

My neighbors occasionally ride with me and my sweetheart. For the past four years I have tried every variant of "Don't slam the door" and have been told every variant of -- excuses. From "I didn't slam it" to "It's Just a Car! It won't hurt it". I know better; been there, paid the repair bills.

I have tried the having the man open and close the door for the neighbor lady which seems to work. If I try to do it for her she will snatch the door out of my hands and slam it anyway. She does slam the door on her brand new car but I think in the case of my car, it's either a passive/aggressive thing or she thinks it's funny to annoy me.

So I have decided from now on she is not to be in my car at all. When dinner plans come up, instead of volunteering to drive, I will offer to meet them there, and offer some subterfuge as excuse ("We're going to Town A which is close to the restaurant so meet us there").

I have tolerated her behavior until this past time about a month ago, when she slammed the door getting into the back seat and upon my giving her a WTF look, just sat grinning.

I will not make a point of it with her unless she outright asks; I'm not out to offend her or change her ways. She is a bill-paying adult and if she doesn't notice her new car's driver door is already sagging a bit on the hinge it's none of my business.

So thanks to everyone who posted on the door slamming part of this forum, your comments made me feel a lot better.

PS -- By the way, I am a female, and have been a novice 'gearhead' since the 80s. My other female friends are also car aware and considerate of other peoples' property in general.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

Cool story Bro.
MyHellaCar
Grand Rapids, MI

MyHellaCar

thanks.
(even though I posted this in the wrong forum, noob mistake. Perhaps the nice mods will move it to Automotive!)

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to MyHellaCar

Premium Member

to MyHellaCar
Ah sorry. Being your first post I figured it was just some random drive-by weirdness that shows up here every now and then. Didn't know it was a serious post.

Fobulous
Premium Member
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX

Fobulous to MyHellaCar

Premium Member

to MyHellaCar
Yeah i hear you, my mom used to slam my doors as well. I just flat out told her don't do that next time and she actually listens

TearAbite
D'oh
join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

TearAbite to MyHellaCar

to MyHellaCar
Good on you!

There shall be NO door-slamming, no smoking, nor eating in my car.. one warning, then i have no issue with never letting that person in my car again.. I can think of no-one that would be above these rules.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to MyHellaCar

MVM

to MyHellaCar
Reminds me of my Dad and his carpool. Apparently he scared one of the regular riders and our car wound up eventually with a hole in the floor on the passenger side where her heel dug in . Some car doors are much heavier then others, usually most don't get mine all the way closed.
MyHellaCar
Grand Rapids, MI

MyHellaCar to TearAbite

to TearAbite
@ Jon: "drive by" -- good one!

@ TearAbite -- Thank you for the affirmation. I feel dumb for not having come to this conclusion before.

I tell people in advance not to slam the door. Most people respect that and I appreciate them for it.

(thanks Mods for moving this post!)
MyHellaCar

MyHellaCar to TearAbite

to TearAbite
Sorry to bother you again since I had already replied to your comment. I didn't think of this question until now.

How do you prevent car-courtesy offenders from riding in your car anymore? What does one say? or not say? The wuss-who-wants-to-please in me needs to know!

TearAbite
D'oh
join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

TearAbite

said by MyHellaCar:

How do you prevent car-courtesy offenders from riding in your car anymore? What does one say? or not say?

Could be anything, like you already mentioned: sorry, no room, or 'sorry, i have to drop by the pharmacy to pickup my crabs medicine' or, for a particularly insensitive offender such as yours, "you find it so fun to keep slamming my car door (or eating/smoking/whatever) even after i've asked you to stop, you can do it in your own car.. Cause you're not getting in my car again" ..

Forgot to add to my list of rules, since it is the law in California "thou must wearith a seatbelt in my car"
MyHellaCar
Grand Rapids, MI

MyHellaCar

Thank you TearAbite (and for the chuckle). It may come to my having to say something as she is rather pushy.

I read something similar as a retort to the comment "Lighten up! Slamming the door doesn't hurt the car": "If that's how you feel, do it to your own car. Stay the h3ll away from mine."

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

r81984 to MyHellaCar

Premium Member

to MyHellaCar
Sorry but people who complain about slamming car doors are stupid. You are basically complaining about nothing just to yell at people for no reason.
Slamming a car door will not do any damage, it just makes a loud noise. The door are engineering to not break from slamming shut. Slamming a door is not outside of the doors engineering tolerance.
Hitting bumps on the road will put way more force on a door than slamming it.

Now if the door is already partially damaged and it breaks while slamming then it would have broke pretty soon anyways as it was already failing due to forces while driving fast on rough roads. Someone slamming the door would not be the root cause to why it broke.
Expand your moderator at work
MyHellaCar
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

MyHellaCar to r81984

to r81984

Re: Don't Slam the Car Door!

See this is the kind of thing you get from inconsiderate people. It's superbly crass to argue that you should be allowed to take advantage of someone else's property and by extension, their wallet.

If one is asked to do/not to do something, if you respect them, you respect their property. Whether you agree or not, you do it their way.

I could tell you chapter and verse what slamming a car door damages on the auto, but you Are entitled to your opinion. Just keep it away from my car.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

said by MyHellaCar:

See this is the kind of thing you get from inconsiderate people. It's superbly crass to argue that you should be allowed to take advantage of someone else's property and by extension, their wallet.

If one is asked to do/not to do something, if you respect them, you respect their property. Whether you agree or not, you do it their way.

I could tell you chapter and verse what slamming a car door damages on the auto, but you Are entitled to your opinion. Just keep it away from my car.

People are not inconsiderate. All doors take much difference forces to shut so they have no idea until the door is shut. Try shutting a ford super duty door.
If you use the force to shut a ford super duty door on a compact car, a jerk would yell at you for slamming the door.
It is inconsiderate to yell at people who have done nothing wrong.

Yes you might have shut the door hard enough to cause a loud noise, but yelling about it is pointless as slamming will not cause any damage since the door is designed to not break from high forces and stresses. A car door slammer would never hit those forces.
It is silly to just assume everyone has precise muscle memory to shut the door exactly how you would like it done. Maybe they are used to much heavier truck doors.

People will shut the door without any thought thus doors are designed to withstand forces that it would encounter from slamming or the even higher forces it would endure on a bumpy road or hitting a pot hole.

The best solution is just not worry about things like door slamming that do not cause any damage.
MyHellaCar
Grand Rapids, MI

MyHellaCar to Anon

to Anon
My neighbor lady says exactly this sort of thing, including throwing in the random insult to distract the conversation.

What is it with some people?!
MyHellaCar

MyHellaCar to r81984

to r81984
Please read my above post again.

It's a matter of courtesy and respect to the person making the request.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to MyHellaCar

Premium Member

to MyHellaCar

Re: Don't Slam the Car Door!

said by MyHellaCar:

Please read my above post again.

It's a matter of courtesy and respect to the person making the request.

Again people who do not use your car constantly like you are not going to remember the force to shut your door when they are used to shutting their own car door.
It is pointless to get mad at people shutting a car door harder than you because they are not used to shutting a car door that way. Shutting a car door is something people do without thinking.

All door slammer yellers usually only say something after you shut the door. They do not even think about it either when they know you are about to open the door.

A normal human slamming a car door is not going to cause any damage as the door is engineered to not break from slamming or from rough driving.
Taking the time to be mean and yell at people for doing something you FEEL is harmful is just OCD and a waste of time when in reality it is not harmful.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to r81984

to r81984

(topic move) Don't Slam the Car Door!

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 5 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Don't Slam the Car Door!