spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

techyguy7

join:2009-09-18
Harrisburg, PA

[Business] How do I setup Comcast Exchange Server?

I'm a Computer Technician, but have never setup Exchange server before. A small business has given me the opportunity to see if I can set it up for them.

I need to make sure there is no change in the way email is provided by »www.networksolutions.com, or by outlook. We just need to add Comcast's Exchange Server. Then when that is working correctly, I can put in the correct information into Outlook 2007.

I found these three articles. Would this be all the information I would need? Or are there better sources to learn from?

"How do I use my current domain with Comcast Business Class e-mail and Web hosting?"

»businessclass.comcast.net/wpport···c7586e8c

"Configure Exchange 2007 to Receive E-Mail for other Domains"

»www.petri.co.il/configure-exchan···ains.htm

"Managing Advanced DNS Records"

»www.networksolutions.com/support···rvers-2/

Thank You, for any help you can give.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
I STRONGLY advise that you never use your ISP DNS server for hosting a domain. A 3rd party DNS service such as that provided by your registrar, Network Solutions, would be ideal.

Call Comcast and ask if you can ONLY change your MX records, if not -- don't use their service.
--
PRescott7-2097

techyguy7

Harrisburg, PA
Comcast provides the service for free. As long as the business uses Comcast, what could go wrong? I've looked into network solutions premium email. There are many reports of them permanently loosing email. This needs to be completed in a few days. I would only be adding the ability to use comcast exchange server on top of the regular network solutions email. How would I do this?

joako
Premium
/dev/null
I never said not to use their email. I said don't use Comcast to host your DNS if all you want is Comcast email.

If all you want on your domain is Comcast email switch only the MX and keep your current DNS service. You want to be in control of your DNS, not the bright folks over at Comcast helpdesk.
--
PRescott7-2097

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to techyguy7
first, I wouldn't rely on my ISP's exchange server.

Does the small business have their own exchange server?

even with a YES or NO answer, I would rather let somebody with experience do it for them properly so emails go and flow, get backed up and all that from a network administration stand point.

you asked what could go wrong? well...lose of emails, back-ups, mail security, anti virus, spam protection, blacklists etc etc....

I've seen our IT manager and our network admin. work with MS SBE, Mailwatch administration, Firewall as well as on-site and off-site backups by a 3rd party like EVS.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
I keep getting calls from Comcast business support offering to help me setup my network to use their hosted Exchange Server, MS Sharepoint, etc.

I keep telling them, don't need it, don't want it. I guess that they are tracking who is using it and they assume that since I am not using it, it must be because I don't know how to use it.

Actually, I recently started using their two free 2GB mailboxes for SMTP/POP3 temporary store and forward (actually my email server polls them every 5 minutes and downloads/empties the inboxes) for use when my Comcast connection (or even my server) is down, so that incoming email has a place to go. I haven't gotten a preemptive "may I help you" call since doing that. I guess just seeing activity in the in-boxes (or just the every 5 minute polls) satisfies them that I am using their hosted email service.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson

techyguy7

Harrisburg, PA

1 edit
reply to techyguy7
Yes, I would be using the MX switch. Would I just need to update the MX Record and CName record in my email hosting to point to the Comcast provided ones?

techyguy7

Harrisburg, PA

1 edit
reply to joako
Sorry for the double post, my post was delayed somehow. Yes, I would be using the MX switch. Would I just need to update the MX Record and CName record in my email hosting to point to the Comcast provided ones?

joako
Premium
/dev/null
reply to techyguy7
said by techyguy7:

Yes, I would be using the MX switch. Would I just need to update the MX Record and CName record in my email hosting to point to the Comcast provided ones?

Correct. Make sure to call Comcast and make sure they can even do that.
--
PRescott7-2097