spc
Search similar:

uniqs
colorbars
join:2003-03-20
USA

colorbars

My own connection problems

Rather than hijack one of the threads that was already started I'll just start one of my own with the info suggested by RetiredQwest.

Here's a sample stats page:

Session Time: 0 days 12:55:06
Speed (down/up): 1536 / 800 Kbps
Near End CRC Errors (I/F): 12/0
Far End CRC Errors (I/F): 1105/0
Near End CRC(Within last 30 mins) (I/F): 0/0
Far End CRC(Within last 30 mins) (I/F): 0/0
Near End RS FEC (I/F): 60195/0
Far End RS FEC (I/F): 657010/0
Near End FEC(Within last 30 mins) (I/F): 25505/0
Far End FEC(Within last 30 mins) (I/F): 2336/0
Discard Packets(Within last 30 mins): 0
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 0/6
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream): 41/31

The modem has to retrain at least once a day. Everything was fine when it was first installed but started doing this when the cable got buried. (It was just laying across the ground for the first 3 weeks or so.) I already eliminated internal wiring and the modem itself by testing with an alternate modem, different cable and connecting directly to the test jack on the NID. Anything jumping out at anyone?

retiredqwest
join:2005-04-01
Spokane, WA

1 edit

retiredqwest

Do you see something wrong with this?

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 0/6

SNR Down = zero, I would like to think there should be some kind of number in there and it should be at least 6 like the upstream.

You need a tech visit to see if they can find the problem. And I would definitely mention that after they buried the drop is when the trouble began.

Here is some other info that I feel does a better explanation of those numbers:
quote:
SNR
SNR means Signal to Noise Ratio. Simply put divide the Signal value by Noise Value and you get SNR. You need high SNR for a stable connection. In general, a higher signal to noise ratio will result in less errors.

* 6bB. or below = Bad and will experience no line synchronisation and frequent disconnections
* 7dB-10dB. = Fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions.
* 11dB-20dB. = Good with little or no disconnection problems
* 20dB-28dB. = Excellent
* 29dB. or above = Outstanding

Note that most modems display value as SNR Margin and not pure SNR.

SNR Margin
You can think of SNR margin as the measure of quality of the service; it defines the ability of the service to work error free during noise bursts.

This is a measure of the difference between your current SNR and the SNR that is required to keep a reliable service at your connection speed. If your SNR is very close to the minimum required SNR, you are more likely to suffer intermittent connection faults, or slowdowns. You need a high margin to ensure that bursts of interference don't cause constant disconnections.

With traditional broadband, the higher the SNR Margin, the better.

Line Attenuation
In gerneral, attenuation is the loss of signal over distance. Unfortunately, dB loss is not just dependent on distance. It also depends on cable type and gauge (which can differ over the length of the cable), the number and location other connection points on the cable.

* 20bB. and below = Outstanding
* 20dB-30dB. = Excellent
* 30dB-40dB. = Very Good
* 40dB-50dB. = Good
* 50dB-60dB. = Poor and may experience connectivity issues
* 60dB. and above = Bad and will experience connectivity issues

Standard Disclaimer:

My DSL experience was with the original Netspeed equipment when DSL first came out. I got out of DSL when I became an acting manager for awhile. So, I was sorta the local tech support for the other techs doing DSL.

But SNR and attenuation numbers have not changed much since those early days of DSL.
colorbars
USA

colorbars

Yes, there's something screwy with that SNR. It bounces all over the place. Sometimes it's 14/6. sometimes 0/6, right now it's 6/6. Haven't seen a negative number yet, but that's probably when it bombs out and retrains. I'll have to try to find the time to deal with repair at some point. At least it works for the most part. Thanks for your input.

retiredqwest
join:2005-04-01
Spokane, WA

retiredqwest

Here's my guess as to what is going on.

The tech did what we call a "ground lay" for one reason or another. A contractor came out and buried a drop..... just not the one laying on the ground. Then they "cutover" to the new drop. So, one end or the other has an iffy connection.

Good luck dealing with repair...... even I try to avoid calling them.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to colorbars

to colorbars
Hello Colorbars,
We can sure enlist the assistance of our internal DSL support group to get this resolved. If you would, please email us at talktous@qwest.com, provide you address, account info and a brief synopsis of the situation and we will be glad to assist.
Regards,
Steve

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to colorbars

Premium Member

to colorbars
Yeah, definitely hinky stuff there.

Here's my quite stable 7/896 line numbers just for comparison.

colorbars
USA

colorbars

Nice stats caffeinator, you lucky son of a gun.

I emailed TalkToQwest and we'll see what happens. Hopefully something good.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

1 edit

ArizonaSteve

TalkToQwest is just a waste of time and so is their online chat and email. The whole purpose seems to be to give you the run-around until you get tired and go away. No matter how much you talk about the problem it isn't going to get any better. At some point you will have to demand they actually send someone to physically fix the problem.
I don't think there is any such thing as an "internal DSL support group" either. I've emailed and chatted until I was exhausted trying to get my DSL to work right, talked to several people on the phone too but it hasn't been any help and nobody ever mentioned having an "internal DSL support group".

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to colorbars

Premium Member

to colorbars
Heheh, thanks man...you shoulda seen my stats using an ancient Intel 3200 with the 1.5M service. I hope you get yours sorted soon.

I can't say how much I appreciate having a good local 3rd-party ISP for support. I haven't called Qwest in years; if they need calling the director of IT at my ISP does it and calls me back. It's worth the extra cash.
colorbars
USA

colorbars

I sent a note to TalkToQwest back on June 28 and haven't heard anything. Is the queue backed up? Shouldn't I have heard something by now?
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to colorbars

to colorbars
Hello Colorbars,
If you would, please email us at talktous@qwest.com, again, we could not find the initial response from you, sorry not sure what happened there. Provide your address, account info and a brief synopsis of the situation and we will be glad to assist.
Regards,
Steve
colorbars
USA

colorbars

Thank you Steve. Resend sent. Thread number (26021636) included in the subject line for reference.