how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dbtds

join:2011-06-26
O Fallon, MO

[CenturyTel] DSL modem frequently disconnects

I've been having problems where my DSL modem keeps disconnecting and reconnecting from the internet. There are times when it happens frequently, like every minute or two. When it reconnects, it always comes back with a different external IP.

This first started happening when I had my DSL service upgraded from 1.5 Mbps to 6 Mbps.

I think it may have something to do with the interaction between my wireless router and the DSL modem, because when I connect to the modem directly using my PC and the Windows XP PPPoE connection, then the DSL connection is stable. But when I use the router, it starts the disconnects. Although there are some times when that connection stays stable as well. I even tried another brand new router, and exhibited the same symptoms

For my equipment I have a really old SpeedStream 5667 DSL modem, the original modem was a Linksys wrt160n and the new one is a Linksys e1200. Both routers have the latest firmware.

Any help would be appreciated.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
Sounds like you're pushing the limits on what your line / DSL modem can support. I'd try a newer 3rd party modem, and if you're still having problems after that - kick the speed down on the DSL (3 meg is still pretty good).

And though it might sound crazy - you might let the newer modem do the PPPoE (or maybe even the Speedstream) in a double NAT setup and see if that is more stable.

You could also check if DHCP is available in your area, then the PPPoE problem should go away.

dbtds

O Fallon, MO
reply to dbtds
What should I look for in a 3rd party modem? Any standards it needs to support to work w/ CenturyLink? Any brands to avoid?

tstolze
Premium
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to dbtds
Before possibly spending/wasting money.....

Please access your modem and post the transceiver stats.

We are looking for attenuation and margin numbers specifically, both upstream and downstream.
--
Ofallon, Mo Weather
St. Peters, Mo Weather

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to dbtds
I like shopping at TigerDirect myself, but there should be other places that have them as well. bestbuy.com had some as well.

dbtds

O Fallon, MO
reply to tstolze
said by tstolze:

We are looking for attenuation and margin numbers specifically, both upstream and downstream.

It doesn't look like I'm able to access the modem. I found a doc online for a SpeedStream 5667 dual USB/Ethernet router, that says the default lan IP is 192.168.254.254. I tried to browse, ping and telnet to that IP without success.

Also, I thought that my SpeedStream 5667 was just a modem not a router (the label on the device says it is a "SpeedStream 5667 Ethernet ADSL modem" instead of the "SpeedStream 5667 Dual USB/Ethernet Router" described in the doc). Although it looks just like the pictures in the doc.

So CenturyTel either changed the default IP, or I just have a modem without configuration capability.

tstolze
Premium
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter
said by dbtds:

said by tstolze:

It doesn't look like I'm able to access the modem. I found a doc online for a SpeedStream 5667 dual USB/Ethernet router, that says the default lan IP is 192.168.254.254. I tried to browse, ping and telnet to that IP without success.

Also, I thought that my SpeedStream 5667 was just a modem not a router (the label on the device says it is a "SpeedStream 5667 Ethernet ADSL modem" instead of the "SpeedStream 5667 Dual USB/Ethernet Router" described in the doc). Although it looks just like the pictures in the doc.

So CenturyTel either changed the default IP, or I just have a modem without configuration capability.

Likely with your setup you will need to connect directly to the modem to access the stats, removing any router between you and the modem.
--
Ofallon, Mo Weather
St. Peters, Mo Weather

dbtds

O Fallon, MO

1 edit
I tried that, and still couldn't connect.

I set my network adapter with a static IP in the same subnet, and also made sure my software firewall (ZoneAlarm) was shutdown so it couldn't block it. But still no luck.